Screw Orlando Brown

Now the Chiefs/Brown can get down to business

The Kansas City Chiefs and left tackle Orlando Brown are one step closer to coming to terms on a long-term contract extension.

Brown, 26, has signed with an agent, Michael Portner of Delta Sports Group, which is good news as Kansas City looks to lock up a pivotal member of their offense.

The Chiefs placed the franchise tag on Brown earlier this offseason, giving both sides until July 15 to get an extension done.

“At this point in my life, I realize that my career is bigger than my next football contract,” Brown said in a press release. “Michael stood out to me because we relate to each other on a personal level. From an early age, we were both exposed to the negative effects of diabetes. His father is a nephrologist in the Mississippi Delta. My father died of diabetic ketoacidosis and my younger brother has diabetes. Our common view on these types of real-world issues will result in meaningful work in our home communities. I am so excited for this next chapter of life with Michael.”

1 hour ago, qnet said:

I'm glad he found a agent. I like Brown, and thought he was playing really well in the playoffs. I think he's better than Fisher.  The Chiefs will probably pay more than what most on here want, but that's the nature of this business. 

I'd rather pay him now and lock up that position.   When the salary cap jumps it won't look so bad.   Also this is a premium and important position that we shouldn't have to worry about for the foreseeable future.  I'm bracing for ~5/115 but Veach is really good at making those deals work for both sides so I'm not worried.

5 hours ago, qnet said:

I'm glad he found a agent. I like Brown, and thought he was playing really well in the playoffs. I think he's better than Fisher.  The Chiefs will probably pay more than what most on here want, but that's the nature of this business. 

Veach will pay him. We have to protect the best QB in football. 

12 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Interesting that he picked an agent that has never neogationed an NFL contract before and that company has only been in business about a year.  

tells me Brown is not very smart and this agent will try to make a big splash hurting all involved.

3 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

Interesting that he picked an agent that has never neogationed an NFL contract before and that company has only been in business about a year.  

Brown said that was a positive from his point of view. He didn't want someone who already had a relationship with those in the NFL. I don't see the logic in that, unless he is wanting a hard-nosed negotiator working for him. Not sure that is a wise move for him in the long run. I trust Veach as a representative of the club's interest. He is smart and savvy. I am not sure that Brown is the brightest bulb in the pack. We shall see once this new agent shows his colors.

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

tells me Brown is not very smart and this agent will try to make a big splash hurting all involved.

Seth Keyser had a pretty interesting take on that last night on RGR podcast.  Basically, he agreed that the agent would want to make a big splash to shine up his reputation and also that he didn't need to play reasonable with NFL teams because he had no other clients to keep on good terms with management.  Made sense.  It's easy to see the Chiefs overpaying but the good thing is that Brown's contract will set the standard and in four years may seem fair.  Mahomes got the biggest contract in history two years ago and now it looks like a bargain and he's locked up for ten years.  Once again, gotta trust Veach. 

His words:

Very confident. Very confident," Brown said Tuesday on NFL Total Access with Mike Garafolo and Shaun O'Hara when asked his level of confidence in regard to a deal getting done. "Especially simply based off the things that have come into effect within our division, the type of defensive ends that have been brought in, the type of players and all of that type of stuff. It's not the year to go into the season with a backup left tackle. So, I'm very confident that the Kansas City Chiefs will get that done."

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

His words:

Very confident. Very confident," Brown said Tuesday on NFL Total Access with Mike Garafolo and Shaun O'Hara when asked his level of confidence in regard to a deal getting done. "Especially simply based off the things that have come into effect within our division, the type of defensive ends that have been brought in, the type of players and all of that type of stuff. It's not the year to go into the season with a backup left tackle. So, I'm very confident that the Kansas City Chiefs will get that done."

That's interesting the way he said that. It's like he believes he has the leverage, and the Chiefs really need him. I don't know what to think about that, and how this works out. 

I believe the Chiefs do need him, but at what price? I like his confidence, but just hope he backs it up when/if the deal gets done.

42 minutes ago, qnet said:

That's interesting the way he said that. It's like he believes he has the leverage, and the Chiefs really need him. I don't know what to think about that, and how this works out. 

I believe the Chiefs do need him, but at what price? I like his confidence, but just hope he backs it up when/if the deal gets done.

Yup sounds like he’s confident he’ll be paid top LT $$

Wonder if he's confident enough to give back money every time he gets his ass handed to him?

My take: if he's looking to set market then make him play on the franchise tag and prove it. 

He improved as the season progressed, but to get paid #1 you got to be #1.  If he's OK with somewhere in top 10 pay then green light it. 

I dont know, maybe browns got more brains than most of you.. Maybe he realizes the way contracts are negotiated for the most part is a farce, maybe he truly wants to be the highest compensated lt in the nfl, in short maybe he actually wants 

the money.. 

you know instead of a huge ass deal, worth 1/32 of the anounced value.. .. you know a contract that is for actually 4 years,

instead of a 3 year deal packaged as a 6 year deal.  Maybe just maybe Mr. Orlando Brown is a bit smarter than you give him credit for being, maybe thats why he went out of the current agent pool. 

Brown has not participated thus far in the team’s offseason program. Because he is technically unsigned, Brown is also unlikely to participate in next week’s mandatory minicamp unless a long-term agreement were to unexpectedly come together quickly.

While away from his teammates, Brown is training at a private facility in Miami. The three-time Pro Bowl selection addressed a recent clip that showed him playing tennis as part of his training.

Brown is placing a high amount of faith in Portner — who has never negotiated an NFL contract. Between the player wanting to be in Kansas City — and the Chiefs having already invested heavily in acquiring him — perhaps the factors are in place for smooth negotiations over the next few weeks.

Who do you pay?

Will Chris Jones be with the Kansas City Chiefs beyond the 2022 season? His current contract and Aaron Donald’s new deal create some big questions for Brett Veach.

Let’s get this out of the way: We all want interior defensive lineman Chris Jones to be a member of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2023 and beyond. However, the NFL is a business and sometimes that means teams have to make tough decisions that may or may not come back to bite them.

With Aaron Donald signing a new contract, making him the highest-paid non-QB in NFL history, a new contract for Jones just became exponentially more complicated.

The Salary Cap Situation

As previously stated, the NFL is a business, and the salary cap is a real factor when building a team. The cap for the 2022 NFL season is $208.2 million, while the Over The Cap is projecting the 2023 NFL cap ceiling to be $225 million.

Also according to Over The Cap, with the projected $225 million cap ceiling, the Chiefs are projected to have around $16 million in cap space for 2023 with approximately 42 roster spots taken (after Joshua Williams signs his rookie contract). Chris Jones’ 2023 cap hit is scheduled to be about $27.04 million, with $20 million of that being base salary and a workout bonus.

Because 2023 is the final year of Jones’ current contract, the Chiefs (next offseason) will be unable to restructure his contract to push money down the road to save cap $ immediately. The only realistic way the Chiefs can reduce his cap hit is to A.) Release him and save $20 million or, B.) Trade him and also save $20 million or, C.) Extend his contract beyond 2023 and save anywhere from $5-15 million on the 2023 cap. (That depends on how the new extension is structured.)

I feel like it’s safe to say that option C is the preferred choice among Chiefs fans, with option B being the next choice and option A as the last resort in case of a drastic decline in Jones’ level of play.

52 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Who do you pay?

Will Chris Jones be with the Kansas City Chiefs beyond the 2022 season? His current contract and Aaron Donald’s new deal create some big questions for Brett Veach.

Let’s get this out of the way: We all want interior defensive lineman Chris Jones to be a member of the Kansas City Chiefs in 2023 and beyond. However, the NFL is a business and sometimes that means teams have to make tough decisions that may or may not come back to bite them.

With Aaron Donald signing a new contract, making him the highest-paid non-QB in NFL history, a new contract for Jones just became exponentially more complicated.

The Salary Cap Situation

As previously stated, the NFL is a business, and the salary cap is a real factor when building a team. The cap for the 2022 NFL season is $208.2 million, while the Over The Cap is projecting the 2023 NFL cap ceiling to be $225 million.

Also according to Over The Cap, with the projected $225 million cap ceiling, the Chiefs are projected to have around $16 million in cap space for 2023 with approximately 42 roster spots taken (after Joshua Williams signs his rookie contract). Chris Jones’ 2023 cap hit is scheduled to be about $27.04 million, with $20 million of that being base salary and a workout bonus.

Because 2023 is the final year of Jones’ current contract, the Chiefs (next offseason) will be unable to restructure his contract to push money down the road to save cap $ immediately. The only realistic way the Chiefs can reduce his cap hit is to A.) Release him and save $20 million or, B.) Trade him and also save $20 million or, C.) Extend his contract beyond 2023 and save anywhere from $5-15 million on the 2023 cap. (That depends on how the new extension is structured.)

I feel like it’s safe to say that option C is the preferred choice among Chiefs fans, with option B being the next choice and option A as the last resort in case of a drastic decline in Jones’ level of play.

Im sure we are going down a path of paying the left tackle at the expense of losing people like chris jones. Hope it works out for us.

that being said even though i love Chris jones and think he is an absolute stud 2nd best d tackle in the league, its not like our defense has been anything notable while he has been here

4 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Im sure we are going down a path of paying the left tackle at the expense of losing people like chris jones. Hope it works out for us.

that being said even though i love Chris jones and think he is an absolute stud 2nd best d tackle in the league, its not like our defense has been anything notable while he has been here

Could be a train wreck without Jones. Notable vs torch-able? 

10 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Could be a train wreck without Jones. Notable vs torch-able? 

Not so sure.  The Chiefs offense was doomed without Hill........until....they got McDuffie, Moore, and some lesser picks in his place and saved $20 million/yr.   What if the Chiefs traded Jones and picked up a draft pick and saved enough to sign a top FA to replace him in the line?  Not my choice, but not the end of the world.  Except for an elite QB, there's no player who can't be replaced if the price is right. 

I don't know Brown or what kind of team player he is, but it's troubling that he seems to me so concerned about #1.  He asked out of Baltimore because he wanted LT money.  He wants to be paid like #1 when it's questionable that he's in the top ten.  He hires an agent with no experience who likely promised him the moon.  Is Brown's motivation to be the top performer at LT and win a ring or is it all about himself and his paycheck?  I may be way off here, but I sense a danger that the Chiefs could lock themselves into a overpriced, long term contract with a player who will lose incentive once the deal is done. (Clark 2)   Memo to Veach:  Don't trade #1 picks to get players unless they're QBs. 

41 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Not so sure.  The Chiefs offense was doomed without Hill........until....they got McDuffie, Moore, and some lesser picks in his place and saved $20 million/yr.   What if the Chiefs traded Jones and picked up a draft pick and saved enough to sign a top FA to replace him in the line?  Not my choice, but not the end of the world.  Except for an elite QB, there's no player who can't be replaced if the price is right. 

Good points.

TRUTH: We dont know what the offense will be like? Could be awesome. Difference is Mahomes is on offense and the remaining cast is really really good. Chiefs defense has no elite players other than Jones. The rest of the cast is still a work in progress.

I dont have an opinion at this point whether Jones should get another big contract.

The idea that KC has a Cap-whisperer is fantasy. Yes they seem to be doing a good job but numbers are real. The notion that no problem give em big bucks now , the cap will be going up, and the contract will look like a deal in a few years is also still subject to real numbers and at risk with perfomances like CLARK.