Screw Orlando Brown

• 4 weeks later...

AFCWEST: I have predicted this a few times. I see Brown gone next season.  Its just a prediction. Trade him this offseason and sign a reasonable replacement. You cant pay everyone the TOP DOLLAR

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports the Chiefs and LT Orlando Brown are "nowhere close on a deal."

Garafolo added that he doesn't expect Brown to show up for training camp if a deal isn't reached. He even questioned if Brown would be on the field for Week 1. The stud left tackle was assigned the franchise tag this spring but still hasn't signed it. He is looking for top-end left tackle money while the Chiefs want to pay him in line with the league's best right tackles. The difference between those two values could be as much as $5 million per year. If a contract extension isn't reached by Friday, Brown will be forced to play on the franchise tag this year. Holdouts that drag into the regular season are a rare sight in the NFL, but it's not a guarantee that Brown is available for the opening week of the season. If that happens, Patrick Mahomes could face extra pressure from the Arizona pass-rush.

Joe Thuney

Our friend Daniel Harms was quick to bring up Joe Thuney’s name shortly after the news broke about the contract impasse and for good reason. The Chiefs have already watched Thuney play very well at the left tackle position in his one year with the team

If you remember the Chiefs’ regular-season matchup with the Cincinnati Bengals from last year, then you might remember the odd series of injuries that plagued the left tackle position. Brown left during warmups and was replaced by Lucas Niang only to see him leave with a patellar injury before the first quarter was even over. From there, the Chiefs slid Thuney from left guard and watched him play very well against Cincinnati’s edge rushers.

Thuney came to K.C. with the versatility to play outside as well as further inside at center, which he did for the New England Patriots in 2021, which only enhances his value to this team going forward. If there’s a short-term need for someone who can step in and provide quality veteran play, Thuney can be that guy and the Chiefs know it.

If indeed Brown is looking to "set the market" I certainly hope the Chiefs don't oblige him. Brown is a good (not great) LT. Doesn't mean he can't elevate but you are paying him to be Trent Williams and he just isn't there. I heard Chiefs offered $19 mil per year. That seems more than fair for where he sits among left tackles. 

Brown seems like a guy that cannot be satisfied. Ravens dumped him after he refused to be a RT. He wants top LT money in KC after one year.

Giving him a big, most LT money in the NFL deal would smell like Dwayne Bowe or Eric Berry or Frank Clark levels of bad financial management.

If the dude sits and refuses the franchise tag, he will probably LeVeon Bell himself.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:25 PM, DieHard said:

I just don't know what to think about that contract.  I think he improved last year, but was far for elite. I would hate to make him the highest paid LT based on promise. At the same time, we sunk a first into him and don't have any other option. I would be good, I guess, making him the 5th highest paid LT based on promise. We could franchise him again, but that means we are right back to where we started after 2023. If he would even play on a second franchise tag. It is a tough spot to be in.

One thing is that OB is a great run blocker.  If we run more this season, your opinion on his value would change.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

There's a real danger that if Brown gets his contract, he will lose some of his drive to be best.  Not saying it will happen, but it could as we've see with so many players.  Chiefs better not tie themselves up in a contract they can't get out of in a few years. 

I don't think so. Why? Because he has continuing legacy, his dad, to want to live up to.  He is also protecting the best QB and has a perennial chance to get the ring.  Not everything is about money when it comes to motivation.  I guess that may be true of some players, but Brown has a lot to prove on the field.  He knows it and wants to prove it. I don't think there is any danger at all in giving him the contract he is looking for.

22 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

One thing is that OB is a great run blocker.  If we run more this season, your opinion on his value would change.

If the reason for giving a LT top end money is “being a good run blocker” when the nfl is now a passing league and your qb is pat mahomes then there are serious issues imo

16 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think so. Why? Because he has continuing legacy, his dad, to want to live up to.  He is also protecting the best QB and has a perennial chance to get the ring.  Not everything is about money when it comes to motivation.  I guess that may be true of some players, but Brown has a lot to prove on the field.  He knows it and wants to prove it. I don't think there is any danger at all in giving him the contract he is looking for.

Well, you must know hi better than I do and hopefully, you're right.  I think there's always a risk that a player loses a bit of motivation when he gets paid even though it may not be intentional.  I also disagree about his run blocking.  For a player his size, he should be an elite blocker but from watching last year's play, I'd say he better than average (sometimes). Not elite at this point.  Don't take this wrong.  The Chiefs would do well to sign hi to a reasonable contract.  I just think it would be foolish to assume he will grow into a top five LT and should be paid at the top. 

39 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don’t know. Most teams, including us, are about 60% pass and 40% run. If you run a little more, that doesn’t make him a better LT. It’s interesting that they graded him way higher at pass blocking than run blocking which doesn’t jive with what I saw. Grades are definitely flawed. 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

I don’t know. Most teams, including us, are about 60% pass and 40% run. If you run a little more, that doesn’t make him a better LT. It’s interesting that they graded him way higher at pass blocking than run blocking which doesn’t jive with what I saw. Grades are definitely flawed. 

Supposedly, Brown has lost about 20# and might be a little quicker in his run blocking.  I think Reid's run percentage has been between 33% and 38% and I doubt it will change much although maybe he'll take advantage in the defenses better after the playoff disaster last season.  With the good interior line, the tackles don't have to be on top of run blocking if the pass blocking is there. 

25 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Supposedly, Brown has lost about 20# and might be a little quicker in his run blocking.  I think Reid's run percentage has been between 33% and 38% and I doubt it will change much although maybe he'll take advantage in the defenses better after the playoff disaster last season.  With the good interior line, the tackles don't have to be on top of run blockiing if the pass blocking is there. 

True.  And if the Chiefs can run 40% of the time, that will still be an improvement. Maybe even enough to force defenders to bring one of the safeties in. That will help the receivers the other 60% of the time. I just think that guys like Trey Smith and Thuney and Humphrey and Brown can create big lanes and  get runners to the second level like we haven't seen for quite awhile. To not take advantage of that with the running game would be a strategic failure in my opinion. I even think that running 45% of the time would really mess up defenses and help Mahomes the other 55% of the time.  His passing stats might even improve. Opponent's defenses will be more tired by the 4th quarter, and Mahomes passing magic would be even more amazing then. With a lead, we could really run out the clock a lot better if we are running more.  Not sure that Reid and Mahomes would have that kind of discipline, though.  It would be definitely safer for Mahomes.  With our schedule and the stronger AFC West, having Mahomes lose 4 games to an injury while scrambling would be a death knell for us.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Chiefs continue to discuss a long-term agreement with unsigned franchise player Orlando Brown. 

However, Fowler confirms it is "not looking good." NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reported Tuesday the sides were "nowhere close." The deadline is Friday 7/15 at 4:00 PM ET. The fact there is any engagement at all means an 11th hour accord could be reached, but we have not see anything to make us believe that is the most likely outcome. Unlike tight ends Dalton Schultz and Mike Gesicki, Brown has yet to sign his one-year tender, so he would not be required to report for the start of training camp later this month.