Screw Orlando Brown

So Brown waits till the 11 oclock hour to hire an agent. KC would have liked to clear some cap space and do a deal earlier. Maybe then they could have added some more pass rush. But no Brown had to put everyone on hold and then ask for the sun & the moon. I now put him in the selfish ass category. 

Brown was never going to get top LT money.  He hasn't earned it yet.  Give Veach credit.  He made an offer that gave Brown bragging rights but allowed the Chiefs to walk away before getting stuck with a bad contract.  Now Brown will have to prove he deserves a higher offer by playing for $16.7 million (most likely) or possibly ruin his career by sitting out.  I think he plays, but the risk is on him.  He could get injured, play poorly, or probably get tagged again for $20 million.  Don't see how he comes out ahead.

Looks like no deal. Orlando Brown wanted the highest average pay. The Chiefs gave to him. Over 23 per year on average. 95 million over first 5 of a five year deal. With nearly a 40 million signing bonus and first 2 years fully guaranteed.  Browns agent apparently wanted more guaranteed money. I think his agent screwed him. If Brown does not improve , I think he does not get a better offer next year and the Chiefs could very well be in a position to draft a tackle in which looks to be a good draft for Tackles or sign a free  agent tackle. I think the potential to lose significant leverage is too great to pass this deal up. Brown is not even a top 10 ta kle, yet was going to get paid top of the market money this year.

Seth Keyser had a good analogy last night when referring to Brown.  Let's say a guy gets a DUI and wants to plea bargain out of it.  He goes to an experienced lawyer who tells him he'll represent him and help him, but there's no way the DUI will be dropped in his circumstances.  So the guy goes to another good lawyer....same advice.  After a number of tries, the guy finds a scumbag that says, "Sure, I'll fight to the death to get you reduced so sign here."  Of course, he fails.  Brown wanted generational wealth and maybe the reason he struggled to hire an agent was because the experienced ones told him there is no way he would set the market for LTs at this point.  Maybe the guy he hired oversold him and now there's no contract.  Supposition, but it sounds about right to me.  

7 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

Looks like no deal. Orlando Brown wanted the highest average pay. The Chiefs gave to him. Over 23 per year on average. 95 million over first 5 of a five year deal. With nearly a 40 million signing bonus and first 2 years fully guaranteed.  Browns agent apparently wanted more guaranteed money. I think his agent screwed him. If Brown does not improve , I think he does not get a better offer next year and the Chiefs could very well be in a position to draft a tackle in which looks to be a good draft for Tackles or sign a free  agent tackle. I think the potential to lose significant leverage is too great to pass this deal up. Brown is not even a top 10 ta kle, yet was going to get paid top of the market money this year.

True, but Brown was never going to see the last two years of that contract.  It's all about guaranteed money and the Chiefs could have walked away after four years without much hurt if I understand things correctly. 

The Chiefs' final offer was a six-year, $139 million deal with an average annual value of $23.16 million that included a $30.25 million signing bonus and $95 million in the first five years of the contract, according to a source familiar with deal.

How is that not a good deal? that is way to much and he may play himself out if it.

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Seth Keyser had a good analogy last night when referring to Brown.  Let's say a guy gets a DUI and wants to plea bargain out of it.  He goes to an experienced lawyer who tells him he'll represent him and help him, but there's no way the DUI will be dropped in his circumstances.  So the guy goes to another good lawyer....same advice.  After a number of tries, the guy finds a scumbag that says, "Sure, I'll fight to the death to get you reduced so sign here."  Of course, he fails.  Brown wanted generational wealth and maybe the reason he struggled to hire an agent was because the experienced ones told him there is no way he would set the market for LTs at this point.  Maybe the guy he hired oversold him and now there's no contract.  Supposition, but it sounds about right to me.  

I watched that podcast, and like listening to Seth Keyser. Your last point about the agent is interesting, and sounds like that could have happened, but we'll probably never know. 

8 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

The Chiefs' final offer was a six-year, $139 million deal with an average annual value of $23.16 million that included a $30.25 million signing bonus and $95 million in the first five years of the contract, according to a source familiar with deal.

How is that not a good deal? that is way to much and he may play himself out if it.

It seems like a lot, but may be structured to sound like it's more than it is. 

6 minutes ago, qnet said:

I watched that podcast, and like listening to Seth Keyser. Your last point about the agent is interesting, and sounds like that could have happened, but we'll probably never know. 

It seems like a lot, but may be structured to sound like it's more than it is. 

They all seem to be structured like thst though really. 

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

They all seem to be structured like thst though really. 

Yep, everybody knows that last year is never going to be paid.  One has to wonder what the cap hit would have been this year.  Would the Chiefs have been able to lower the 16.7 number enough to go out and get a FA DE?  That's the main loss to the Chiefs in my book. 

On 5/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, oldtimer said:

it was mentioned pre draft that  the negotiations where not going well..here's why.

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/orlando-brown-jr-extension-talks-165311043.html

The Chiefs have until mid-July to come to an agreement on a contract extension with Brown. To this point, the major hold-up has been the lack of him having an agent. As of Veach’s pre-draft musings, Brown still hadn’t made a decision on an agent.

With players reporting to team facilities for Phase 2 of the offseason workout program, talks surrounding an extension are likely to resume, agent or no agent.

In retrospect, Brown's dealings with the Ravens and demand to move to LT or be traded pretty much described him as a person.  I think the Ravens were probably happy to be done with him.  I wonder if Veach and Co. are having any buyer's remorse.  I am guessing that Brown, Jr. thinks that everything should be given to him, because, you know, his father.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

In retrospect, Brown's dealings with the Ravens and demand to move to LT or be traded pretty much described him as a person.  I think the Ravens were probably happy to be done with him.  I wonder if Veach and Co. are having any buyer's remorse.  I am guessing that Brown, Jr. thinks that everything should be given to him, because, you know, his father.

I would tag him again next year. Trade then or let him play and possibly use the 3rd year tag. We can pay him a lot less and then trade him even after 2 years of tags 

7 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Kids are awfully entitled these days

2 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I know there is another post about negotiations, but nobody is gonna read all that...

image.thumb.png.a1e98e56acb18aceec302193c00fae7f.png

Dude got what he wanted...  highest paid LT in the league as well as largest LT contract in the league....  and he turned it down

As far as i'm concerned, sign Eric Fisher and trade him, or tag him again next year and make him suffer.  

To be honest I'm kind of ashamed that the Chiefs even gave him that kind of offer.  Desperation is not a good look...  

Remind anyone of Clark?

Uh, he gave up 6 sacks last year, or thereabouts, allowed like 30 quarterback pressures, (that’s like a sack btw, qb is not in the grass but he’s flustered and rarely converts on those) 

and yet he wants to set a new mark for left tackles and wants to be the highest paid!?! 
uh, no. 

this is being handled correctly by the chiefs 

and actually really the highest paid, not just on paper.. we have an agent that thinks he is gonna get real money ... in the 20 million a year range.. 

the agent is gonna need to settle for less overall money.. on the paperwork.. in order to get, him more real money in his pocket.. 

If the Chiefs are put in the position of needing a new left tackle, they might not have to look for to be a replacement. Geron Christian signed with the Chiefs this past March after three years in Washington and a single season in Houston. In 2021, after Texans starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil’s season ended due to a thumb injury, Christian was the replacement for the Texans. In 2021, Christian earned an average 59.5 Pro Football Focus overall grade ($) but an excellent 78.8 pass-blocking grade.

After taking over the starting job in the middle of Week 5, Geron Christian earned a magnificent PFF blocking grade ($) of 79.8, which was good enough for 18th among all tackles over that stretch, including slightly beating out Orlando Brown Jr.’s 78.9 grade in pass blocking snaps. His run blocking was a problem last year, earning a concerning grade of 39.6 in that part of the game, including a 40.4 grade when he was the starter.

One positive of Christian replacing Brown is that he has significant left tackle experience, with over 1,000 career snaps on the blindside. Another silver lining of Christian taking over is that the Chiefs likely won’t see much of a dip in quality of play on passing downs, if at all, if Brown doesn’t play. Another thing that shouldn’t be forgotten is if Christian does play the entire season as the starting left tackle, the Chiefs should be able to retain him at a much lower rate next offseason if they so desire.