Screw Orlando Brown

18 minutes ago, xen said:

Funny we say the same thing about you.  We wanted to trade you to Chiefs Planet but they wouldn't go for it.

except that the very thing i said would happen to this player 8 months ago is now happening. interesting. you better be getting a couple first round picks back in the deal if you trade me

10 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

except that the very thing i said would happen to this player 8 months ago is now happening. interesting. you better be getting a couple first round picks back in the deal if you trade me

YEP: I did not like the trade day one. Never rooted against the player. He screwed with Balt so its no surprise he is screwing KC. Character counts and Brown has none. Ravens must be laughing out loud. 

23 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

YEP: I did not like the trade day one. Never rooted against the player. He screwed with Balt so its no surprise he is screwing KC. Character counts and Brown has none. Ravens must be laughing out loud. 

True. Can always learn from history.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

You need to change your screen name to Nostradamus.  Actually, Nostril Damus would be funnier.  Maybe CranjisMcNostradamus.

Now practice saying that over and over.

Nostradamus.jpg

12 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

The trade came with the risks but that's why the price was relatively lower. On paper we fixed the LT need for 2-3 years which could be considered enough compensation. However I believe we should now focus on getting as much as possible for Brown and move on, which could sweeten the initial deal even more if we can get something good. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/gm-report/top-3-lt-options-for-kc-chiefs-if-orlando-brown-jr-misses-time?fbclid=IwAR3Ol8kpJvQW_jJOkVmSr7KRxri6uZ2q3Qa2jKaqb_RUusQLOPydY0Tob68

Top 3 LT Options for Chiefs if Orlando Brown Jr. Misses Time

If things get dicey, Kansas City has multiple suitable options to choose from.

The first set of Kansas City Chiefs has reported to training camp in St. Joseph, MO, and everyone else arrives at Missouri Western State University this week. That group of "everyone else" may not include left tackle Orlando Brown Jr., however.

Head coach Andy Reid has made it perfectly clear that the team won't wait around for Patrick Mahomes's blindside protector, and he's unsure of whether Brown will be a participant in camp after the team failed to agree with him and his agent on a contract extension. Pessimism right before that July 15 deadline led some to believe that Brown skipping some or all of training camp — or even time into the regular season — is a legitimate possibility, so Kansas City still has to be prepared for that to happen. If it does, who could step in to replace him? Let's take a look at some prime candidates.

1. Geron Christian

Let's address the elephant in the room: Geron Christian isn't even guaranteed to make the Chiefs' 53-man roster out of camp. Many are leaving him out of their roster projections, so why would he suddenly become the No. 1 left tackle on the team in the event of Brown being absent? Experience, health and recent success are three decent reasons why.

Christian, a third-round pick by the Washington Commanders, is entering his fifth season in the NFL and is now on his third team in as many years. After getting off to a very solid start with the Houston Texans last season, Christian closed out the campaign with a 78.8 Pro Football Focus pass-blocking grade. That ranked 15th among all qualified tackles in the NFL and was right in line with Brown's mark for the year. 

From a pass protection standpoint, Christian could step in and help the Chiefs experience minimal dropoff from Brown. Run blocking is where he struggled immensely last season, though, which would present a trade-off for Reid and company to assess. Still, if the Chiefs need a decent veteran pass blocker, he'd be a suitable choice. He shouldn't be discounted on such a wide scale just yet. 

2. Joe Thuney

When Reid spoke last week, he made it a point to mention that left guard Joe Thuney could step in and play left tackle if he had to. Heck, he even did so late last season and had a very quality game in the absence of Brown. Even with little experience at the position (and possibly still battling a broken hand from earlier in the season), Thuney showed that he's capable being kicked out from his normal spot. If need be, he can do it again this year.

There's even a soft argument to be made for the Chiefs getting more value out of Thuney at left tackle. His record-setting contract at left guard is less than ideal despite him being worth it, but paying him top guard dollar to serve as a tackle would be the Chiefs getting the most bang for their buck. On the downside, moving Thuney away from center Creed Humphrey could put the second-year lineman at a bit more of a disadvantage. Much like the trade-off with Christian at left tackle, there's one for Thuney being there as well. From strictly an ability standpoint, on the other hand, it makes some sense. 

3. Jason Peters

This month, 40-year-old Jason Peters said he wants to give the NFL another run this season. He doesn't have a strong preference between a ready-made unit and a young one (the Chiefs have a mix of both) and wants to win (the Chiefs can give him that). He also has familiarity with Reid, whose old Philadelphia Eagles traded for him years ago. If that, combined with some uncertainty surrounding Brown, isn't a near-perfect storm... there may not be one for the veteran tackle.

As far as ability is concerned, Peters certainly isn't what he once was. With that said, he did grade out as Pro Football Focus' 22nd tackle last season. A top 25 producer is a player who can play on just about any NFL offensive line, especially if he's stepping in at such a premium position. Unlike Thuney (or even Christian, to a lesser extent), however, Peters would have quite the learning curve entering a new system. The familiarity with Reid helps, but this version of the Chiefs' offensive attack isn't what Peters has been used to. With all of that said, if Kansas City is intrigued by the idea of scouring the free agent market for help, Peters should be at or near the top of their list.

It’s starting to feel like the Chiefs are simply “moving on” from OBJ at this point. 
is it possible he could just be released at this point? 
if he doesn’t sign the franchise tag or something? 
starting to get that vibe that his tenure in KC could abruptly come to an end. 
if that’s even possible with how this franchise tag works. 
not sure 

22 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

It’s starting to feel like the Chiefs are simply “moving on” from OBJ at this point. 
is it possible he could just be released at this point? 
if he doesn’t sign the franchise tag or something? 
starting to get that vibe that his tenure in KC could abruptly come to an end. 
if that’s even possible with how this franchise tag works. 
not sure 

Wont be released. Chiefs hold all the cards. Traded? Maybe.

3 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Wont be released. Chiefs hold all the cards. Traded? Maybe.

If the Chiefs traded for a 2nd round pick and a 4th or 5th.. would you say this was a blown call by Veach? 
I’m thinking no. He said all the right things initially but he wasn’t being truthful or above board. 
He basically lied and played into a false narrative perhaps in some bizarre effort to erase his fathers comprised legacy. He’s saying I only do that by commanding the highest LT salary in the NFL, he’s good, in the top ten perhaps at his position, but he’s not Trent Williams blow up some DT on a full run knock his ass down good. Sorry. 

54 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

If the Chiefs traded for a 2nd round pick and a 4th or 5th.. would you say this was a blown call by Veach? 
I’m thinking no. He said all the right things initially but he wasn’t being truthful or above board. 
He basically lied and played into a false narrative perhaps in some bizarre effort to erase his fathers comprised legacy. He’s saying I only do that by commanding the highest LT salary in the NFL, he’s good, in the top ten perhaps at his position, but he’s not Trent Williams blow up some DT on a full run knock his ass down good. Sorry. 

No. Not a blown call. If we get a 2nd and 4th for a player on the tag that we basically gave a low first for on a rookie deal. That’s a push IMO. We swung for the fences to get a long term LT. Just didn’t work out.

30 minutes ago, DieHard said:

No. Not a blown call. If we get a 2nd and 4th for a player on the tag that we basically gave a low first for on a rookie deal. That’s a push IMO. We swung for the fences to get a long term LT. Just didn’t work out.

Didn't the Chiefs get a second in the Brown deal? (Bolton)  Who would they have taken in the first without the deal?  Probably an OT, but from where they pick, it wouldn't have been an instant starter.  The deal made sense and Brown may see the light once he faces missing dollars down the road from his actions this year. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Didn't the Chiefs get a second in the Brown deal? (Bolton)  Who would they have taken in the first without the deal?  Probably an OT, but from where they pick, it wouldn't have been an instant starter.  The deal made sense and Brown may see the light once he faces missing dollars down the road from his actions this year. 

Kansas City received Brown and the 58th overall pick in the 2021 NFL draft. Baltimore received the 31st overall pick, 94th overall pick and future fourth and fifth rounders in 2022.

6 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

No, it will only be blown if they extend this guy for big money.

as ive said, chiefs basically moved down from 31 to 58 in the draft and selected bolton, who they could have easily taken at 31, nothing was lost here.

we gave Baltimore a 3rd, which we will get back as a comp pick or if we trade him away, no loss here.

We also gave up a 5th and I think got a 6th back, no loss here.

So we basically rented brown for a year or two for a 4th round pick in the hopes he would be a stud. Its not the end of the world to use a 4th for a cheap LT on his rookie deal who did decent.

the only mistake will be to pay top dollar for decent

14 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

No, it will only be blown if they extend this guy for big money.

as ive said, chiefs basically moved down from 31 to 58 in the draft and selected bolton, who they could have easily taken at 31, nothing was lost here.

we gave Baltimore a 3rd, which we will get back as a comp pick or if we trade him away, no loss here.

We also gave up a 5th and I think got a 6th back, no loss here.

So we basically rented brown for a year or two for a 4th round pick in the hopes he would be a stud. Its not the end of the world to use a 4th for a cheap LT on his rookie deal who did decent.

the only mistake will be to pay top dollar for decent

Pretty much the way I see it except there's doubt that the Chiefs would have picked Bolton in the first.  At the time, many thought Bolton was a reach late in the second.  The real question is what would the Chiefs have done to fill the LT gap left by the loss of Fisher?  AT THAT TIME, no hindsight permitted, there was no great option at pick #31.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Pretty much the way I see it except there's doubt that the Chiefs would have picked Bolton in the first.  At the time, many thought Bolton was a reach late in the second.  The real question is what would the Chiefs have done to fill the LT gap left by the loss of Fisher?  AT THAT TIME, no hindsight permitted, there was no great option at pick #31.

good question. i am fairly sure they signed Thuney last year with the idea he could play LT as a backup plan. Would have been interesting to see if that would have happened

2 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

good question. i am fairly sure they signed Thuney last year with the idea he could play LT as a backup plan. Would have been interesting to see if that would have happened

Yes.  Thuney can play LT almost as well as he plays guard, and he has what? Four more years on his contract?  I think he prefers guard but is very willing and able to cover LT.

13 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yes.  Thuney can play LT almost as well as he plays guard, and he has what? Four more years on his contract?  I think he prefers guard but is very willing and able to cover LT.

I’d like to see thuny at LT. I didn’t mind Allgretti at guard. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Maybe.  Don't have the numbers, but I thought Thuney had alligator arms compared to the prototypical LT.  Can he fill in?  Probably.  Is the the season long solution?  Not so sure. 

I could be wrong.