Screw Orlando Brown

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe.  Don't have the numbers, but I thought Thuney had alligator arms compared to the prototypical LT.  Can he fill in?  Probably.  Is the the season long solution?  Not so sure. 

I could be wrong. 

He might make a good LT but he's an All Pro guard. They need to leave him there 

It's probably a moot point, I can't imagine Brown holding out for long, I don't see how he could possibly benefit. This is a prove it year and missing all off TC sounds like real bad idea.

44 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe.  Don't have the numbers, but I thought Thuney had alligator arms compared to the prototypical LT.  Can he fill in?  Probably.  Is the the season long solution?  Not so sure. 

I could be wrong.  r

He may have alligator arms, but he can use that long scaly tail to whack defenders away from the QB while he is biting the guy in front of him.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I could be wrong. 

32.25 arms

For comparison OBJ is 35

32 is very short arms.  Thuney is a technician so can compensate to some extent but the tackle length you want is not there.  Not ideal to have him at LT for any long period of time.

1 hour ago, xen said:

32.25 arms

For comparison OBJ is 35

32 is very short arms.  Thuney is a technician so can compensate to some extent but the tackle length you want is not there.  Not ideal to have him at LT for any long period of time.

thats one way to look at it, and its probably correct. on the flip side a person could say thuney is an elite level athlete, and in a pass heavy system getting beat around the edge and blindsiding mahomes at max speed is the last thing you want.

i would think thuney would be more like fisher in the fact that he lost to a lot of bull rush moves and got overpowered. at least in that case the qb can see it happening. neither are ideal but if there is a weakness i would prefer it to be getting bull rushed instead of being slow footed.

26 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

thats one way to look at it, and its probably correct. on the flip side a person could say thuney is an elite level athlete, and in a pass heavy system getting beat around the edge and blindsiding mahomes at max speed is the last thing you want.

i would think thuney would be more like fisher in the fact that he lost to a lot of bull rush moves and got overpowered. at least in that case the qb can see it happening. neither are ideal but if there is a weakness i would prefer it to be getting bull rushed instead of being slow footed.

Well I do not share the low opinion of OBJ but i do know holding up against a technician in the 1 game he played (and admittedly played well) at LT is different than facing down some of the good rushers we'll face all season.  Tbh I'd rather leave him at guard and play a guy like Christian who holds up well in pass pro but sucks at run blocking.  Tbh I think it's all moot posturing and OBJ will play this year and play well.  

7 hours ago, xen said:

Well I do not share the low opinion of OBJ but i do know holding up against a technician in the 1 game he played (and admittedly played well) at LT is different than facing down some of the good rushers we'll face all season.  Tbh I'd rather leave him at guard and play a guy like Christian who holds up well in pass pro but sucks at run blocking.  Tbh I think it's all moot posturing and OBJ will play this year and play well.  

I think we have seen great examples with Wylie, Reiter, and a whole bunch of others in the past to ignore the 1-game performance as the norm for any player. Besides having a LG like Thuney right next to you will elevate anyone at LT.

I guess we can let this thread die

https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/news/report-orlando-brown-jr-will-join-kc-chiefs-training-camp-monday?fbclid=IwAR0NrRVg96hPsD0-zBzDNPmD4xX0jDhhw7kd6HJeLoJjISVdBj7Mh2Gof7g

Report: Orlando Brown Jr. Will Join Chiefs Training Camp Monday

Brown's time away from the team was short-lived, as he'll join the team for week two of practice.

There was quite a bit of uncertainty surrounding whether Kansas City Chiefs left tackle Orlando Brown would report to training camp this year, but those concerns are reportedly being extinguished. Initially reported by Robert Griffin III of ESPN, Brown will join the Chiefs in St. Joseph, MO on Monday for camp and will be playing this season on the franchise tag: 

BREAKING: Orlando Brown Jr. will report to Chiefs Camp today and play on the franchise tag. Sources close to Brown say he is in the best shape of his life and knows how important the first 5 days of pads are for him, the team and to HC Andy Reid. Mahomes gets his left tackle back

- Robert Griffin III (RGIII) on Monday, August 1 2022 at 5:15 a.m. CST

Tom Pelissero of NFL Network confirmed Griffin's report, adding a statement from Brown's agent Michael Portner that echoed that same sentiment. "He wanted to be there for padded practice because that's when leaders are developed," it read.

The Chiefs and Brown were unable to come to an agreement on a long-term contract extension by the NFL's July 15 deadline, as Brown's camp wasn't satisfied with the structure of his contract. Kansas City offered him a record deal in terms of average annual value and signing bonus, although the structure of the contract was the major resistance point in the end.

Unless he has a massive transformation this season, the chiefs are going to be back in this same spot next year. Veach has let his team know what they feel his value is so he ain't getting that Big Bag here in KC. Hope KC starts giving guys reps at LT (Kinnard) so we have someone who can slide in without moving Thuney outside and let OBJ walk.

4 minutes ago, West said:

He wants to sign with KC long term.

If you dig into the offer KC gave him...it wasn't that great.

Anyway, he is coming in and that's good news for the team.

w

and he's not as great as he thinks he is. He'll have this year to prove it. If he gets to All Pro status he'll be unaffordable

2 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

Unless he has a massive transformation this season, the chiefs are going to be back in this same spot next year. Veach has let his team know what they feel his value is so he ain't getting that Big Bag here in KC. Hope KC starts giving guys reps at LT (Kinnard) so we have someone who can slide in without moving Thuney outside and let OBJ walk.

We do not have anyone better at LT currently on this roster.  If they want one they may a rough time finding one.  Great LTs are rarely found as late as we usually draft and anyone hitting FA is usually past their prime or still searching for a prime.  Wishful thinking that kinnard is a LT imo.  For as much as kc fans like to hate on OBJ he held up very well against some elite pass rushers.

It's hard to find consistently good tackles that can hold up against top rushers and even harder to find a great one.

4 hours ago, West said:

He wants to sign with KC long term.

If you dig into the offer KC gave him...it wasn't that great.

Anyway, he is coming in and that's good news for the team.

w

It was a good offer for Brown.  The Chiefs offered what Brown has shown he is worth at this point.  If he progresses at LT this season, he'll want more and the Chiefs will up their offer.  The cap will go up next year and the Chiefs will be free of the Clark hit.  Brown mishandled his contract negotiations this year by not having an agent earlier then picking one who apparently told Brown what he wanted to hear rather than the reality of his status.  Doesn't make Brown a bad guy and here's hoping he plays lights out and earns a top five level contract.

I'm glad he showed up, and wasn't really expecting  him to do so. If he plays very well, that can only mean good things for the Chiefs, and that's what I'm really hoping for. It he doesn't, that's on him. 

14 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

I always envisioned Kinnard starting at RT in 2023 with Niang at LT. 

On 8/1/2022 at 4:38 PM, xen said:

We do not have anyone better at LT currently on this roster.  If they want one they may a rough time finding one.  Great LTs are rarely found as late as we usually draft and anyone hitting FA is usually past their prime or still searching for a prime.  Wishful thinking that kinnard is a LT imo.  For as much as kc fans like to hate on OBJ he held up very well against some elite pass rushers.

It's hard to find consistently good tackles that can hold up against top rushers and even harder to find a great one.

i am not hating on OBJ, yep he is the better choice than anyone on the roster but just because he plays the position does not mean elite pay. Glad his management team came to their senses about sitting out. If the big man shows out then the chiefs will reward him.

21 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

i am not hating on OBJ, yep he is the better choice than anyone on the roster but just because he plays the position does not mean elite pay. Glad his management team came to their senses about sitting out. If the big man shows out then the chiefs will reward him.

To me the logic is simple, if we are paying the top LT money we should be getting the top LT. Otherwise overpaying will lead to losing some critical players in the future. 

On 8/2/2022 at 3:13 AM, sith13 said:

I always envisioned Kinnard starting at RT in 2023 with Niang at LT. 

I envision OBJ at LT nest year with Kinnard and Niang dueling it out for RT and the loser becoming the swing tackle.  If Brown doesn't reach a contract agreement after the season, he'll get tagged again.  After 2023 is the uncertain period. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

I envision OBJ at LT nest year with Kinnard and Niang dueling it out for RT and the loser becoming the swing tackle.  If Brown doesn't reach a contract agreement after the season, he'll get tagged again.  After 2023 is the uncertain period. 

Tagged them traded. Get a draft pick or better yet a LT in FA for less.