Training Camp '22

if hardman is the best wr on the roster we are in danger. MVS should be the #1 based on athleticism, but of course the drops, we are all hoping that gets fixed. skyy moore, when you watch his college film, rarely separated from defenders but had great hands, so far in camp he seems to be getting open against better competition, so thats highly encouraging.

if i had to bet at the moment i would say juju will be far and away our best wr this season, but who knows.

I think JJ is the most talented WR on the roster. Hardman looks like he is second. It’s early though. MVS is a crazy good long athlete, but he has to show he can turn that into production. I love Moore. Don’t think he gets the reps to really breakout this year. I do think he can be better that any of them in the long run. 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

if hardman is the best wr on the roster we are in danger. MVS should be the #1 based on athleticism, but of course the drops, we are all hoping that gets fixed. skyy moore, when you watch his college film, rarely separated from defenders but had great hands, so far in camp he seems to be getting open against better competition, so thats highly encouraging.

if i had to bet at the moment i would say juju will be far and away our best wr this season, but who knows.

So what you are saying is… The Skyy is falling.

csi miami GIF

General thoughts and predictions from me about this season: I think the D will be better than last year, just because of the LB's if no other reason.  The secondary is a head scratcher for me.  They have the talent. Maybe Reid will pan out and Thornhill will reach full potential and health and get some INT's.  Maybe a better pass rush, too. What we lose from not having Tyreek Hill might be neutralized by better defense, so scores will probably be lower.  The West has really loaded up, so  I think one has to be a homer to conclude that KC will win the division in 2022.  But even if we have to get in as a wild card, Mahomes and Big Red have the capability to win any playoff game, maybe more than one.

The only truth is that Injuries are always the huge unknown.  Denver has already taken a hit. Whoever loses the fewest key players will probably take the division. Depth, depth, depth is always huge.  Versatility along the lines. Insane plays at key moments.

Call me a homer then, oh wait we all know I am.. 

reality is kc is a better team than they where last year, at this point in time. 

the dislike for hardman really confuses me. 

not understanding what MVS brings to the table that we havent had confuses me.. 

not seeing that Juju and Sky are pretty decent for 3rd and fourth options, confuses me. 

not seeing that overall.. the wr's are more talented .... makes me wonder what you guys are looking at. 

not seeing that the LB corp, the heart of a defense is seriously improved .. makes me question peoples sanity..

not seeing that a lighter Frank is good for everybody, 

people watching wharton toss trey around like a rag doll, and are questioning him?

guys.. 

This is seriously the best football team we have fielded.. in the reid era. 

........................................................................................................................................

kc has gone from a finesse team, to a hard physical team, with a bunch of really fast people .. 

and they have done it right under your noses. without you even noticing.. 

8 hours ago, robgar said:

reality is kc is a better team than they where last year, at this point in time. 

not seeing that Juju and Sky are pretty decent for 3rd and fourth options, confuses me. 

not seeing that overall.. the wr's are more talented .... makes me wonder what you guys are looking at. 

not seeing that the LB corp, the heart of a defense is seriously improved .. makes me question peoples sanity..

people watching wharton toss trey around like a rag doll, and are questioning him?

guys.. 

........................................................................................................................................

kc has gone from a finesse team, to a hard physical team, with a bunch of really fast people .. 

Great points. 
It will be very interesting to see how defenses play us this year without hill. 
I think with the pieces we have now we should be able to move the chains no matter what. 
I am really liking our 7th round back too. 
breakaway speed. Can’t wait to see him in preseason. 

48 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Great points. 
It will be very interesting to see how defenses play us this year without hill. 
I think with the pieces we have now we should be able to move the chains no matter what. 
I am really liking our 7th round back too. 
breakaway speed. Can’t wait to see him in preseason. 

until proven other wise  I think the OPFOR will be daring  the Chiefs to beat them over the top. Without Hill our WR's  corps is maybe a C+/B- group.

I love all the optimism.  I share some of it, except the fans discount the importance of experience before the real games start..  We are underestimating its importance.  Next year, the experience part will be there, too. 

It will be a fun ride.  We will see offensive rookies do great, until opposing defensive coaches see where their inexperience and weaknesses lie and how to exploit those.  Those rookies will start to struggle a bit in the second third of the season. It will be the same with defensive rookies.  Also injuries will thow a big wrench into all hopes and plans as usual. I think we have better depth than most other teams, though.  It's always a war of attrition.

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

until proven other wise  I think the OPFPOR will be daring  the Chiefs to beat them over the top. Without Hill our WR's  corps is maybe a C+/B- group.

We have a three guys who can take the top off a defense.  Defenses will not be able to move up and cheat as much as you think, or it will cost them. I would say it is more like a B grade. Patrick is going to hit them hard in the early games with long passes.

29 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

until proven other wise  I think the OPFOR will be daring  the Chiefs to beat them over the top. Without Hill our WR's  corps is maybe a C+/B- group.

You maybe right old timer but I also think they may play deep saftey look and make us march up the field. Either way, I am hoping it’s not as easy for them to fiqure out the best approach to slow us down. 

2 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

You maybe right old timer but I also think they may play deep saftey look and make us march up the field. Either way, I am hoping it’s not as easy for them to fiqure out the best approach to slow us down. 

Running more will help.  Drives will take longer, but remember that wears down defenses until they are gasping for air late in the game. Scoring fast is great, but the other guys end up with more opportunities. Just outscoring the other guys worked great in 2018-2019, but we have a different type of team now. The big question is whether Mahomes can run that type of offense.  He can't scramble and improvise as much, or HE is going to be the one gasping for air.  Can he learn to be a different kind of QB? I know he seems like a god at QB, and we have total confidence in him, but to me the jury is still out on that.  How much can Reid get Mahomes to play a different type of game without inhibiting him too much? That will be a big storyline.

Very hard to predict this season.  On paper, the Chiefs should be as good as last year.  Bolton over Hitchens.  Cook over Sorenson,  McDuffie over Hughes.  Karlaftis over ???.  Thornton, Wharton, and Saunders step up.  But as Fmbl  pointed out, inexperience could kill some of the upside. This isn't a rebuild season, but in some ways it resembles one.  The future looks good but we can't know how close it is. 

14 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

General thoughts and predictions from me about this season: I think the D will be better than last year, just because of the LB's if no other reason.  The secondary is a head scratcher for me.  They have the talent. Maybe Reid will pan out and Thornhill will reach full potential and health and get some INT's.  Maybe a better pass rush, too. What we lose from not having Tyreek Hill might be neutralized by better defense, so scores will probably be lower.  The West has really loaded up, so  I think one has to be a homer to conclude that KC will win the division in 2022.  But even if we have to get in as a wild card, Mahomes and Big Red have the capability to win any playoff game, maybe more than one.

The only truth is that Injuries are always the huge unknown.  Denver has already taken a hit. Whoever loses the fewest key players will probably take the division. Depth, depth, depth is always huge.  Versatility along the lines. Insane plays at key moments.

You say the secondary is a head scratcher, to me that’s the area of the team that is the most obviously improved and should be a strength.

no more sorenson, no more slow matheiu back there unwilling to make hits, no more mike hughes looking lost at all times.

admittedly we lost ward, but you have to hope the drafting of mcduffy and williams can fill that spot, I actually have higher hopes for williams but that remains to be seen. Hopefully one is very good and the other is a solid player.

Reid is a very good athlete we picked up in free agency, we drafted a safety in the second, we took 2 players late in the draft to help the secondary, im not worried at all.

I am worried about the wr corps and the pass rush but lets hope it works out

13 hours ago, robgar said:

guys.. 

being very happy with juju and skyy as the 3rd and 4th WRs is not wrong, my fear is those are actually our #1 and #2 guys

6 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

You say the secondary is a head scratcher, to me that’s the area of the team that is the most obviously improved and should be a strength.

no more sorenson, no more slow matheiu back there unwilling to make hits, no more mike hughes looking lost at all times.

admittedly we lost ward, but you have to hope the drafting of mcduffy and williams can fill that spot, I actually have higher hopes for williams but that remains to be seen. Hopefully one is very good and the other is a solid player.

Reid is a very good athlete we picked up in free agency, we drafted a safety in the second, we took 2 players late in the draft to help the secondary, im not worried at all.

I am worried about the wr corps and the pass rush but lets hope it works out

Hopefully improved. Unproven at this point. Pass rush will still be critical.

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The first break in TC, so here's a question.  Which player has impressed more than expected and which has shown less than we hoped?

I'd say Skyy looks better than I expected to this point and Lonnie Johnson has disappeared off the radar so far.

My 2 are whipping boys and sometimes justified. 

Hardman - Just from the small sample of clips, he has really run crisp routes. He has looked to me in the past like he was trying to run around defenders with rounded off routes and ending up be someplace other than Pat expected. Now he looks a like he is going the be hard to cover. Him and Skyy on the field could break some ankles.

Clark - Physically and mentally, he looks like a different player. And that work with Karl makes drool a little thinking they will both out perform my previous expectations. That could be a more responsible pair than we thought.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

My 2 are whipping boys and sometimes justified. 

Hardman - Just from the small sample of clips, he has really run crisp routes. He has looked to me in the past like he was trying to run around defenders with rounded off routes and ending up be someplace other than Pat expected. Now he looks a like he is going the be hard to cover. Him and Skyy on the field could break some ankles.

Clark - Physically and mentally, he looks like a different player. And that work with Karl makes drool a little thinking they will both out perform my previous expectations. That could be a more responsible pair than we thought.

I'm afraid Karlaftis is going to be just another guy who will be beaten like a drum by half the NFL tackles.  He will be a reliable and smart player, but he just doesn't have the burst. He will likely be used mostly moving inside to help with pressure in the middle. I hate to harsh your mellow. He was drafted in his spot for a reason.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm afraid Karlaftis is going to be just another guy who will be beaten like a drum by half the NFL tackles.  He will be a reliable and smart player, but he just doesn't have the burst. He will likely be used mostly moving inside to help with pressure in the middle. I hate to harsh your mellow. He was drafted in his spot for a reason.

Doesn't have what burst?  He's mostly been a power rusher and a very good one.  Carlos Dunlap, whom we just picked up as depth, rode that train to the tune of 96 career sacks. 39 players in NFL history have 100 sacks.