Training Camp '22

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm afraid Karlaftis is going to be just another guy who will be beaten like a drum by half the NFL tackles.  He will be a reliable and smart player, but he just doesn't have the burst. He will likely be used mostly moving inside to help with pressure in the middle. I hate to harsh your mellow. He was drafted in his spot for a reason.

Is that a put down for guys drafted #30?  Sure, Karlaftis wasn't one of the top three or four, but lots of second day picks have become good linemen.  Apparently, Clark see enough in him to spend extra time showing him the ropes. 

24 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Is that a put down for guys drafted #30?  Sure, Karlaftis wasn't one of the top three or four, but lots of second day picks have become good linemen.  Apparently, Clark see enough in him to spend extra time showing him the ropes. 

This was a deep draft for pass rushers ans WRs. Most other years I'm sure Karlaftis and Sky Moore would have gone higher.

Didn't KC draft Jarod Allen in the 4th?

10 hours ago, xen said:

Doesn't have what burst?  He's mostly been a power rusher and a very good one.  Carlos Dunlap, whom we just picked up as depth, rode that train to the tune of 96 career sacks. 39 players in NFL history have 100 sacks.

Doesn't have a burst of speed at the snap..  He is a power rusher, as you say. I don't know if somebody can LEARN an instant fast first step.  I think he will do very well at times, depending on the opponent, but likely to get shut out most games as far as sacks.  He will help on pressures a lot.  He uses his hands really, really well.  But he should be thought of as about a 5-6 sacks per season type of player. I think he will be used in chosen spots in most games.

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think he will be a good lineman because of his other abilities and smarts.  Good, yes.  Great, probably not. A lot of sacks?  No way. I just think the assumptions I am reading here are way too enthusiastic.

12 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'm afraid Karlaftis is going to be just another guy who will be beaten like a drum by half the NFL tackles.  He will be a reliable and smart player, but he just doesn't have the burst. He will likely be used mostly moving inside to help with pressure in the middle. I hate to harsh your mellow. He was drafted in his spot for a reason.

That’s fair I guess. I am a little more optimistic, but have no illusions of him being a 12 sack guy. 4-8 and hoping it’s 8. If we get 8 from Clark and 8 from Karl with pressures, I think that is all we can hope for.

I think we are turning into a bunch of nit-pickers and passing judgement on players that have yet to line up for even an exhibition game snap.

KC will be just fine this season but it is prudent to expect a bit of a slow start.  The skills group on offense has been shuffled so it may take some time for them to gel.  We have a #1 receiver- a dude named Kelce.  The question is not about an "#1 WR" ...its about a WR demanding a double team like Hill received on most snaps.  Can that be Hardman....maybe....the dude is just as fast as Hill on the long routes- he does not have Hill's athleticism and quickness on the short / intermediate routes.  WR's are important- but schemes and a QB that can make EVERY throw is far more important.  Pat Mahomes is the difference maker and our O-Line is going to be among the best in the business.

I think, after they get their rhythm, the defense will be much better after they figure it out.

Andy Reid is still our HC and Spags is one of the better D-Coordinators.

We may not host the AFC Championship- but that has not proven to be a panacea either.

It's all about how the team gels in the 2nd Half of the season as they will be as good as any team down the stretch if they can stay relatively healthy.

w

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think he will be a good lineman because of his other abilities and smarts.  Good, yes.  Great, probably not. A lot of sacks?  No way. I just think the assumptions I am reading here are way too enthusiastic.BTW, I'd predict

I don't think anyone is expecting another Bosa or Watt, but Karlaftis has enough to be successful.  His motor alone makes up for some of the lack of band or first step.  It's not over optimistic to expect more than we saw from Okafor or even Ingram.  I'm guessing 5-7 sacks.  If Clark is inspired and healthy and Wharton learns to use his athleticism, the line could be at least average and that's a big step up.  BTW, I'd expect Karlaftis to play at east 50% of the defensive snaps.  .  

3 hours ago, West said:

The question is not about an "#1 WR" ...its about a WR demanding a double team like Hill received on most snaps.  Can that be Hardman....maybe....the dude is just as fast as Hill on the long routes- he does not have Hill's athleticism and quickness on the short / intermediate routes. 

Great point. How many times Hill evade trouble in tight quarters with a burst for big gains. There were plays that no other WRs could make after the catch.  I do feel defenses will have to cover more facets of our offense now. JuJu sounds like a stick mover. Hardman & MVS deep. Moore sounds very versatile and seems to be picking up the offense. Kelce is everywhere and I like the versatility of the backfield. 

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Great point. How many times Hill evade trouble in tight quarters with a burst for big gains. There were plays that no other WRs could make after the catch.  I do feel defenses will have to cover more facets of our offense now. JuJu sounds like a stick mover. Hardman & MVS deep. Moore sounds very versatile and seems to be picking up the offense. Kelce is everywhere and I like the versatility of the backfield. 

It makes sense to me to replace Hill's production by putting in MVS and Hardman to keep the safeties back, and replace Hill's shorter routes with passes to the RB's.  Both CEH and McKinnon can do that.

10 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Doesn't have a burst of speed at the snap..  He is a power rusher, as you say. I don't know if somebody can LEARN an instant fast first step.  I think he will do very well at times, depending on the opponent, but likely to get shut out most games as far as sacks.  He will help on pressures a lot.  He uses his hands really, really well.  But he should be thought of as about a 5-6 sacks per season type of player. I think he will be used in chosen spots in most games.

I mean, he's not a speed rusher so those guys rarely do.  Frank Clark has an excellent burst off the snap but that really hasn't meant much.  Rushers can win in a multitude of ways.  His game is speed to power, hand fighting, and technique, combined with...

maximumeffort.gif

The Kansas City Chiefs have decided to release cornerback Deandre Baker early in the preseason, per Adam Teicher.

It’s been a disappointing stint for Deandre Baker during his time with the Kansas City Chiefs, and now that the team has loaded up on an abundance of new players in the offseason, the franchise has decided to release the veteran cornerback early in training camp—a move that will allow him to find a new opportunity with plenty of time to compete.

36 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Glad we are deciding who’s good after a couple days of camp. 

C'mon, Cali.  The guy showed nothing since we picked him up, and we need the roster space.  Our experience with him has lasted a couple of years.  He played two games one year and broke his femur on a non-contact play.  Before he came to the Chiefs, he was arrested for armed robbery twice.  He is a high floor, low ceiling, high risk guy, and we have several new guys who deserve a space and have higher ceilings.  Your sarcasm is completely unwarranted. He was a first round draft choice of the Giants who is a bust.  He isn't the first.  As Chiefs fans, we sadly know about that.

9 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

C'mon, Cali.  The guy showed nothing since we picked him up, and we need the roster space.  Our experience with him has lasted a couple of years.  He played two games one year and broke his femur on a non-contact play.  Before he came to the Chiefs, he was arrested for armed robbery twice.  He is a high floor, low ceiling, high risk guy, and we have several new guys who deserve a space and have higher ceilings.  Your sarcasm is completely unwarranted. He was a first round draft choice of the Giants who is a bust.  He isn't the first.  As Chiefs fans, we sadly know about that.

KC likes to give guys time to catch on somewhere else. We also know nothing about his attitude effort etc. KC does not take player issues public. There is a reason Veach & Co added so many faces to the secondary this offseason.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

The Kansas City Chiefs have decided to release cornerback Deandre Baker early in the preseason, per Adam Teicher.

It’s been a disappointing stint for Deandre Baker during his time with the Kansas City Chiefs, and now that the team has loaded up on an abundance of new players in the offseason, the franchise has decided to release the veteran cornerback early in training camp—a move that will allow him to find a new opportunity with plenty of time to compete.

no loss here, guy played poorly when given the chance, there is a reason the chiefs spent a ton of resources in the draft on the secondary.

5 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Hunt is better than anyone we have in my view. I’d grab him and put CEH up for sale. 

Im not so sure and he may be an attitude issue. Not sure about Cap room? Not sure CEH would get much? Hunt wants a bigger contract.

34 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

He has not done much in Cleve. I think KC is deep at RB. KC Cap Room? I think he is at 6 million? 

two of the three seasons in Cleveland he only played 8 games and he also had to share carries with Chubb so yeah he did not do much, but since the same people who cut him loose are still in charge i would not expect a reunion. But i would hate to see him end up in Denver, Vegas or LA...

2 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

two of the three seasons in Cleveland he only played 8 games and he also had to share carries with Chubb so yeah he did not do much, but since the same people who cut him loose are still in charge i would not expect a reunion. But i would hate to see him end up in Denver, Vegas or LA...

Yep. I would hate that as well. 
I don’t expect a reunion either but you never know. 
I would love to see him in KC again with our o line.