Training Camp '22

41 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

We have waived the following players: WR Omar Bayless CB Lonnie Johnson Jr. T Evin Ksiezarczyk WR Gary Jennings We have signed NT Danny Shelton.

More cuts coming then.  Have to axe 5 by tomorrow + shelton officially signing means 6 gmhave to go.

31 minutes ago, xen said:

More cuts coming then.  Have to axe 5 by tomorrow + shelton officially signing means 6 gmhave to go.

I saw a pic of Shelton walking down to the practice field this AM with two other players.  I don't know anything about him other than he has an absolutely huge fat ass, where it looks like half of his body weight is located.  Sure not inspiring to look at.  One positive I can think of is that he has a very low center of gravity...and a lot of gravity it is.

1 hour ago, xen said:

The Chiefs have until 3 p.m. Arrowhead Time on Tuesday to get their roster down to 85 players. With these moves, the team’s roster stands at 87 — so we should expect at least two more roster moves before then. The team will have to trim its roster to 80 players by the following Tuesday afternoon — and to 53 players by Tuesday afternoon, August 30.

The most interesting move is the waiver of Johnson, whom the team acquired by trading a conditional 2024 seventh-round pick to the Houston Texans following the NFL Draft. With Johnson’s waiver, that pick will now come back to the Chiefs. As Arrowhead Pride’s Pete Sweeney noted on Twitter, the move clearly shows the team is leaning into youth in its secondary.

On the final year of his rookie contract, Johnson brought a cap hit of $1.2 million to the Chiefs. So that money — minus the team’s 52nd-highest salary, which is currently $895,000 — gives Kansas City an additional $311,000 in cap space.

When Shelton was signed, we estimated that his contract would reduce the team’s cap space by no more than $225,000. So we now calculate that the Chiefs have between $6.0 million and $6.2 million in cap space — likely $6.1 million.

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I saw a pic of Shelton walking down to the practice field this AM with two other players.  I don't know anything about him other than he has an absolutely huge fat ass, where it looks like half of his body weight is located.  Sure not inspiring to look at.  One positive I can think of is that he has a very low center of gravity...and a lot of gravity it is.

He's a run stuffer.  Those guys ain't light

Why was Lonnie Johnson let go so quickly?  Yeah, he played poorly last Saturday, but I though he would stick until the final cut down date.  Did he have an attitude problem or poor work ethic or curse out Spags?  I'd like to think that the five rookie DBs showed enough that the Chiefs didn't need the types like Baker and Johnson, but they sure were cut early.  

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Why was Lonnie Johnson let go so quickly?  Yeah, he played poorly last Saturday, but I though he would stick until the final cut down date.  Did he have an attitude problem or poor work ethic or curse out Spags?  I'd like to think that the five rookie DBs showed enough that the Chiefs didn't need the types like Baker and Johnson, but they sure were cut early.  

He has never played well in the NFL. KC torched him. I think he was on a short leash. 

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Probably needed room on the roster for Danny Shelton.  And we know Shelton needs a lot of room.

There was plenty of room.  They only have to cut five players by tomorrow and the roster had at least ten that have no chance of making it.  It's just amazing that the Chiefs drafted five DBs and four will probably make the final 53 with the other on the PS.  And we've all been complaining that Veach didn't consider the CB group important.  

24 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There was plenty of room.  They only have to cut five players by tomorrow and the roster had at least ten that have no chance of making it.  It's just amazing that the Chiefs drafted five DBs and four will probably make the final 53 with the other on the PS.  And we've all been complaining that Veach didn't consider the CB group important.  

It is amazing. What a nice problem to have.

now this backup kicker thing.. is interesting as hell..

4 and 2 30 yard field goal, chiefs trott reid, and thornhill, out as the kicker, and holder.. umm....

seriously... what Toub could do with that combination.. especially since now the nfl knows he can actually put it through the uprights.

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

He was on a rookie deal so may be they think they can sign him for cheaper after he clears waivers? Other than that I don't think he makes the final 53 with what he has shown so far but definitely not one of the first guys to cut. However I believe he would be on the bubble with the assumption that all 3 drafted rookies will get a roster spot.

43 minutes ago, sith13 said:

He was on a rookie deal so may be they think they can sign him for cheaper after he clears waivers? Other than that I don't think he makes the final 53 with what he has shown so far but definitely not one of the first guys to cut. However I believe he would be on the bubble with the assumption that all 3 drafted rookies will get a roster spot.

Good points. Reid does like to give guys chances to catch on with other teams. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Start at 1:10.  Reid likes the potential of the young guys.

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

Start at 1:10.  Reid likes the potential of the young guys.

Andy has usually been conservative about favoring rookies over vets, but this may be the exception.  With Sneed, Fenton, McDuffie, and Williams as locks and Watson looking like a future player, there's just not much room for a marginal vet.  Yet, the timing is curious.  Vets don't get cut in the first week without an underlying reason.  Either Johnson had an attitude or messed up somewhere.  He wasn't a projected starter so not much lost, but it's still a surprise to se him go so quickly.