Give credit to both sides. Veach for having the foresight to understand how the QB market was going to rise......and Mahomes who is as down to earth as it gets and not a diva type needing to be the top paid guy. The flexibility of his contract has also been beneficial to the team. Win/win.

Mahomes is smart enough to know that the highest paid QB rarely, if ever, earns the most money. You need to get paid a decent amount but the #1 income should come off the field which only comes with cap space spent on other players. 

He is special. Link below states this and goes on about brown a bit too and thuney possibly playing LT.

"They'll keep setting the bar even higher,'' Mahomes said. "You always want to get paid and take care of your family, but I want a great team around me as well.''

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34281729/kansas-city-chiefs-patrick-mahomes-fine-no-longer-being-highest-paid-qb-knew-signed-deal-set-life

Makes sense. Other than the Watson contract with the Browns, I think Mahomes contract has close to the same amount in guarantees as most of the other recent deals. IMO Mahomes is smart enough to know that with 140 + million in guaranteed dollars you're pretty much set for life, if you not stupid with your money. 

2 hours ago, qnet said:

Makes sense. Other than the Watson contract with the Browns, I think Mahomes contract has close to the same amount in guarantees as most of the other recent deals. IMO Mahomes is smart enough to know that with 140 + million in guaranteed dollars you're pretty much set for life, if you not stupid with your money. 

Yep, and even if they give him more money, with a 10 year contract they can do it with bonuses and spread it out. I'm not sure, but can't you spread it out over 5 years, or is it longer?

5 hours ago, qnet said:

Endorsements are where they make their real money.  It’s like Shaq once said, “I don’t work for the Lakers, I work for Pepsi.”

The plan was there...  i think many of us know that the patriots ruled the AFC for so long because Brady was voluntarily underpaid for years and that the team brought in FAs that would take less money in order to make a title run.  The only difference is that instead of restructuring/taking paycuts every year to every other year like brady, the Chiefs/Mahomes just put it in a contract that would already do that for him as time went along.  In the next 2-3 years i expect to see Mahomes drop out of the top 10 and who knows where he will be come years 7-10

I can see him doing another deal once he gets out of the top 15, but by then he will have saved the team so much money nobody is gonna complain anyway.

I just hope we can get some more SBs out of the kid.  The football gods really owe us for the decades of lower quality QBs we've had....lol