Chicago Bears Preseason Week 1

my observations based on barely paying attention

positives

skyy moore looked better than i expected

Justin Reid looked like a stud athlete. clear upgrade of matheiu

Geron Christian looks the part at LT. im not saying he is a stud or anything, but im 99% sure Geron should be LT and Brown RT to get our best 5 lineman on the field. we all know this will never happen.

Justin Watson made the team. Looks like an excellent upgrade over the pringles and demarcus robinsons of the world.

Chris Jones looked dang good

Taylor Stallworth showed some athleticism out there.

Linebacking corps overall looked really fast.

Negatives

Derrick Gore isn't making this team, that was ugly.

Josh Gordon looks lost

Frank Clark didn't show me anything to suggest he will be better than last year.

CEH still looks like a 3rd string back, not his fault, he is what is he. Pacheco and McKinnon will hopefully be studs.

Three disappointments:

RoJo doesn't look like the replacement for Darrell Williams.  May not make the roster.

Kinnard isn't close to playing with the ones.  He got stood up and pushed back on nearly every play.

Lonnie Johnson didn't look like he belonged on the field.

Positives

Watson looks like an upgrade over Robinson, Pringle, and Kemp.

Karlaftis can be an immediate contributor

Cook and Crennal are hitters.  They may not get much PT, but they're fun to watch. Expect fewer missed tackles this season. 

31 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Three disappointments:

RoJo doesn't look like the replacement for Darrell Williams.  May not make the roster.

Kinnard isn't close to playing with the ones.  He got stood up and pushed back on nearly every play.

Lonnie Johnson didn't look like he belonged on the field.

Positives

Watson looks like an upgrade over Robinson, Pringle, and Kemp.

Karlaftis can be an immediate contributor

Cook and Crennal are hitters.  They may not get much PT, but they're fun to watch. Expect fewer missed tackles this season. 

Actually…..

30 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Bears' fans are excited that a fifth rounder can get to the QB when the O-line and blocking back have a complete meltdown?  Okay. 

I liked him in the draft too. I mocked him to use a couple times. 
but the point I  was making is RoJo really shit the need this game. And that block was a good example of it. 

10 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs do not need Henne. He can be on speed dial. Beuchelle is a very capable back up. Cut Henne saves around 4 million I think? 

I agree. They really don’t need Henne. Use that money when guys start getting let go. May need to take a flyer on a db 

My favorite thing in this game was the first TD. Mahomes taking snap under center and found open Bell after a decent fake. We have been way too "flashy" to be successful recently and have been riding stars on offense but using some fundamental plays will actually let those stars shine even more. 

Nice to see the chiefs play a game finally! 
I agree with most observations already mentioned. 
One player that stood to me was from bears team. Brisker. He is going to be a baller. Maybe he stood out because of the amount snaps he had.

I’m a little more confident in our d especially the LB corps after yesterdays game. 

This is the fun thing about preseason. Watson reached up a grabbed a spot on the roster while Gore gave his away. Not a Rojo guy and really couldn’t see him making the team. But Gore’ is doing everything he can to help him. They both may put Ealy on the roster if they keep it up.

Karl, Chenal, Pacheco and Moore had very good days and showed they belong IMO. 

Perfect game. Got some work in and no big injuries.

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

I was kinda surprised how quickly they went to Pacheco. I thought maybe they would defer to RoJo or McKinnon as vets but Pacheco was getting plays with the ones on the opening drive. This kid looks to get a lot of PT this year.

I think we'll see the others start  behind O-line #1 as preseason progresses

14 minutes ago, xen said:

The opposite.  Salary + bonus all becomes dead cap if he's cut.  3.265m

Based on here the entire cap for Henne is 2 million and all of it would become dead cap https://overthecap.com/player/chad-henne/920 

I believe he'll stay around and unless there's a mystery injury to Buechele I wouldn't be surprised if we carry 3 QBs just to protect the guy. Seems to have a decent arm and can take over from Henne in 2023 unless he brings in a decent pick in FA and become NFL's next Chase Daniel.