DT Shelton signed

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

I'm wondering if this move is a reaction to Stallworth getting hurt? Maybe Saunders isn't panning out as I rarely hear him mentioned in any Chiefs news? 

There's always the possibility of "just in case" during camp, so may be they want a veteran with some reps if a camp injury occurs. Might even be an in-season consideration assuming he can't land a full time gig.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs only have four credible DT healthy in camp right now.  Signing another one for depth and competition makes sense.  Let Wharton, Saunders, and Shelton fight it out for roster spots.  I'm not betting on Shelton. 

I think Wharton's pass rush skills will get him to stay as the next man up behind/next to Jones. Saunders and Shelton should likely be battling for the backup spot to Nnadi. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think Wharton's pass rush skills will get him to stay as the next man up behind/next to Jones. Saunders and Shelton should likely be battling for the backup spot to Nnadi. 

Saunders is a mystery.  He's big enough and athletic enough but just hasn't used his assets to play well.  Maybe the light will come on for him or maybe the new line coach will get through to him.  Replacing Naadi with the upside of better pass rush skills would seem a natural for Saunders. 

Saunders only played in 7 games last year and 3 games the year before. They may feel he is an ice bath warrior and that is why they brought in a DT. I think you might have to keep 5 DTs if you want to roll with Saunders, so I would need to see some impact in preseason to give him one of the 53. We know Jones, Wharton and Nnadi are locks IMO.

12 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Are we actually sure Nnadi is a lock? He was pretty bad last year

Yes we are.  If a team is showcasing a guy for trade or release they get more than 6 snaps in the first preseason game.  That's also why we know Pacheco is in for good snaps this year after barely playing in game 1.  Pacheco was 2nd up in RB snaps this week after getting 3rd or 4th snaps the last few.

I am really interested in how shelton works in with jones.. damn thats a lot of very powerfull beef.. 

60 tackles as a defensive lineman who was asked mostly to eat up blockers and free space for linebackers is pretty decent work. 

I can sure tell you this.. you cant double team em both.. and  things arent gonna go well if you try to block one of em 1 on 1.. 

1 hour ago, robgar said:

I am really interested in how shelton works in with jones.. damn thats a lot of very powerfull beef.. 

60 tackles as a defensive lineman who was asked mostly to eat up blockers and free space for linebackers is pretty decent work. 

I can sure tell you this.. you cant double team em both.. and  things arent gonna go well if you try to block one of em 1 on 1.. 

Would be interesting to see Shelton and Jones occupying the interior O=line and letting Chennal and Gay shooting through the gaps.  Even an average pass rush would be a huge improvement.  

I think most of us assume they keep 4 DTs and 6 DEs like last year. The guys the seem to have a shot are:

DTs - Jones, Wharton, Nnadi, Shelton, Stallworth, Saunders

DEs - Karl, Dunlap, Clark, Danna, Herring, Kaindoh

I think the it is possible to keep 5 and 5 if the DT group looks deeper than the DEs. I would keep the winner of Herring or Kaindoh or Kamara, but only one of those guys. They don't seem to bring much.

The DTs just bring more to the table. And with the injury history of Saunders, I think it will end up Jones, Wharton, Nnadi, Shelton, Stallworth.

5 hours ago, DieHard said:

I think most of us assume they keep 4 DTs and 6 DEs like last year. The guys the seem to have a shot are:

DTs - Jones, Wharton, Nnadi, Shelton, Stallworth, Saunders

DEs - Karl, Dunlap, Clark, Danna, Herring, Kaindoh

I think the it is possible to keep 5 and 5 if the DT group looks deeper than the DEs. I would keep the winner of Herring or Kaindoh or Kamara, but only one of those guys. They don't seem to bring much.

The DTs just bring more to the table. And with the injury history of Saunders, I think it will end up Jones, Wharton, Nnadi, Shelton, Stallworth.

The Kaindoh/Herring battle will be one to watch in the Redskins game.  Saunders made some plays against the Bears, but then so did Stallworth.  Good to have some line competition.  

7 hours ago, SEMO said:

How was he bad?  His job is to take on double teams.  And he does it well.

i mean he isn't the worst player in the world, but lets make no mistake, outside of chris jones, the entire d line was atrocious last season. wharton and saunders show athletic potential, but no one on the roster outside of jones is a must have by any means. lets hope karloftis becomes a must have in short order.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The Kaindoh/Herring battle will be one to watch in the Redskins game.  Saunders made some plays against the Bears, but then so did Stallworth.  Good to have some line competition.  

i dont think kaindoh has any chance of making the roster. i expect them to keep wharton as an extra DT because he could also play DE if need be.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:14 PM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

i dont think kaindoh has any chance of making the roster. i expect them to keep wharton as an extra DT because he could also play DE if need be.

Kaindoh looks like he’s in quicksand. Want to see more of herring though.

On 8/17/2022 at 3:14 PM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Wharton is a guy we need to keep. When Given the chance to play he seems to make plays. 
In my opinion he is like Obgah the guy Miami signed from us. 
Some might disagree with me but that’s fine. I love me some Wharton. 
get that guy some snaps Reid !