Lenny the Cool

Sucks. 

Legendary Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson in hospice care

Concern around the football world with news Hall of Fame quarterback Len Dawson, who led the Kansas City Chiefs to victory in Super Bowl IV, is in hospice care.

Dawson, now 87, played 14 seasons for the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs from 1962-75. He was 93-56-8 as a starter and threw for 28,507 yards with the franchise.

Dawson owned the Chiefs’ single-season passing touchdown record, which he set in 1964 with 30 touchdowns in only 14 games, a record that stood until 2018 when Patrick Mahomes broke it in 10 games. He still owns the Chiefs’ career passing yards, touchdowns, and wins.

Prior to his time with Dallas/KC, Dawson spent time in the NFL with the Steelers and Browns.

After retiring he had a long career on television in Kansas City.

Dawson was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987, and in 2012 he won the Hall’s Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award.

Prayers to his family. I remember watching him years ago on Inside the NFL on HBO. It was back in the latter part of the Marty years, and he always found a reason to pick the Chiefs. I always thought it was cool how he stayed in KC and did the sports news. 

On 8/12/2022 at 8:09 PM, oldtimer said:

Not many of those 69rs left. He's been in terrible shape for years. Very Sad.

Actually, OT, I don't look at it as sad.  He's had a fantastic journey, and getting old is a badge of both honor and sheer luck.  It's better to be lucky than good, they say.  But he is both.  Plus, he is cool. 

3 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Actually, OT, I don't look at it as sad.  He's had a fantastic journey, and getting old is a badge of both honor and sheer luck.  It's better to be lucky than good, they say.  But he is both.  Plus, he is cool. 

I'm think when (if?) you reach his age, being unhealthy and in hospice will seem sad.  That is unless your mental state doesn't allow you to know your unhealthy and in hospice which would also be sad.  .