Offensive Line

Anyone besides me blown away at just how bad our backups looked on Saturday? And to add to the mess....I'm not convinced the starting tackles looked THAT good. Patrick was Patrick on the opening drive. Guys were getting in on him. He just got the ball out fast. With all the emphasis on building the trenches....I guess I expect more.

Kinnard is a disappointment so far. (Gee, a wasted sixth out of ten picks?)  Allegretti is a viable sub and when Niang get back, he can play.  The best hope is that some of the others such as Christian will play better as part of the starting line than as part of a conglomeration of third stringers without cohesion or practicing together as a unit.  Didn't notice Reiter, but if he's limited to OC, he's not needed.  Maybe Prince will develop.  

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Kinnard is a disappointment so far. (Gee, a wasted sixth out of ten picks?)  Allegretti is a viable sub and when Niang get back, he can play.  The best hope is that some of the others such as Christian will play better as part of the starting line than as part of a conglomeration of third stringers without cohesion or practicing together as a unit.  Didn't notice Reiter, but if he's limited to OC, he's not needed.  Maybe Prince will develop.  

Its really early. Lots of time for all to improve.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Veach needs to be fired.

Kinnard will be fine. Might need a year to develop. But he will be a starter. 

Niang is a solid swing tackle. I don’t think you can trust his health to be a starter. 

I’d like to see Prince Tego-Wanogo moved to guard. And be groomed to replace Thuney in a couple years. That is when we can’t afford a $16 million guard. Or we go with Humphrey and smith as the guys to pay. 

Wylie will be the starting RG this year but will move back to swing back up next year. And he is valuable as this. 

I’d like to see Allegretti and vitally Gurman  kept as interior depth. As both are being trained as Guard/ Center combo players. 

Reiter needs to be cut

57 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

wow, one preseason game, and we are already becoming chicken littles?  I'd say our starters are set, and the backups, well, the young guys will hopefully be backups most of the season and will learn.  Thats the best you can hope for "backups"!

Well ...to be fair the chicken little reference is puzzling. Pointing out that the backups looked bad and it was disappointing? Yeah that was an overreaction. I withdraw the statement your honor.

6 hours ago, Palangi said:

Niang is a solid swing tackle. I don’t think you can trust his health to be a starter. 

I’d like to see Prince Tego-Wanogo moved to guard. And be groomed to replace Thuney in a couple years. That is when we can’t afford a $16 million guard. Or we go with Humphrey and smith as the guys to pay. 

Wylie will be the starting RG this year but will move back to swing back up next year. And he is valuable as this. 

I’d like to see Allegretti and vitally Gurman  kept as interior depth. As both are being trained as Guard/ Center combo players. 

Reiter needs to be cut

Reiter is likely a great camp body as he already knows the system and can help with youngsters around him but I agree he should leave in favor of Allegretti who can play both OG and OC. 

I believe Thuney will see the end of his contract. The way the OL contracts are inflating will make him look rather cheap and we won't have to pay guys like Creed or Smith real money until he leaves. Obviously if we find a gem at OG that would be another story but I doubt they will downgrade at LG to save some money. 

5 hours ago, sith13 said:

Reiter is likely a great camp body as he already knows the system and can help with youngsters around him but I agree he should leave in favor of Allegretti who can play both OG and OC. 

I believe Thuney will see the end of his contract. The way the OL contracts are inflating will make him look rather cheap and we won't have to pay guys like Creed or Smith real money until he leaves. Obviously if we find a gem at OG that would be another story but I doubt they will downgrade at LG to save some money. 

Don't be surprised if Kinnard ends up at OG down the road.  Until he learns some footwork and not to stand up straight, he wont be playing OT.  Hope he's a good learner. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Don't be surprised if Kinnard ends up at OG down the road.  Until he learns some footwork and not to stand up straight, he wont be playing OT.  Hope he's a good learner. 

Not sure where he fits. OT was the logical choice based on his college career but even the scouts considered him for OG at the NFL level. As long as he's a viable option somewhere on the line I'll be very happy.

16 hours ago, Palangi said:

Reiter needs to be cut

Why would Wylie be starting ahead of Trey Smith?  Is Smith injured?  Did I miss something?  Maybe you meant RT?  I don't like any starting line that includes Wylie, but that may end up being the case.

49 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Why would Wylie be starting ahead of Trey Smith?  Is Smith injured?  Did I miss something?  Maybe you meant RT?  I don't like any starting line that includes Wylie, but that may end up being the case.

Standing by for Veach nabbing a back up RT after the cuts.  Niang played okay and was gaining experience when he got shoved into emergency duty at LT and got hurt.  Any thoughts on when he might be back? 

55 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Standing by for Veach nabbing a back up RT after the cuts.  Niang played okay and was gaining experience when he got shoved into emergency duty at LT and got hurt.  Any thoughts on when he might be back? 

I haven't heard/read anything about when Niang would be back in action, but he's been - it seems to me - a bit brittle thus far.  He was showing promise last season, so maybe he can get healthy and pick up where he left off.  I'd MUCH rather see Niang than Wylie at RT.  Can the tackle they picked up from Washington play RT?  He's a solid starter, I've read.  

13 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

I think the bold part is the real question. He held up decent enough coming in as a backup but I wouldn't consider him a reliable starter after failing us so many times in different positions.