Chiefs vs Washington Preseason Game 2

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Are the Chiefs even trying to run?  Most vanilla run game and no commitment to it.  Either Reid isn't showing anything or they really have less of a run blocking interior than we think. 

Pretty ugly. I am pretty disappointed. I hope they are hiding it. Or they didn’t learn a thing in the last loss. Same old delayed handoffs and slow developing designs today. Nothing quit hitting, no counters, no cut back designs, no tosses. Very vanilla. 

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Pretty ugly. I am pretty disappointed. I hope they are hiding it. Or they didn’t learn a thing in the last loss. Same old delayed handoffs and slow developing designs today. Nothing quit hitting, no counters, no cut back designs, no tosses. Very vanilla. 

I saw a toss play. It went for minus 1 yard. Play design and selection is one aspect. You gotta be able to execute and win matchups. Washington's dline has been winning the vast majority of the run play snaps.

Yeah I’m pretty disappointed in the run game. Trying to temper my thoughts on it.  Last year was the most obvious that we need a solid run game.  I don’t see any improvement or upgrade this year. I’d gladly be wrong or jumping the gun though. 

Happy for the win. Got out relatively healthy. Hope Fenton is minor. 

Mahomes looks good. No worries really for our passing game. Run game? Take away QB scrambles... We ran 17 times for less than 2 yards per carry. Our backups need work still. 

Khalen Saunders made a case to be on the team tonight. Guy has the most potential on the Interior D Line outside of Chris Jones, guy has always been hurt though, makes it tough to commit a roster spot to.

Im leaning toward out D line group Being

DE Frank Clark, Karloftis, Dunlap, Danna

DT Jones, Shelton, Saunders, Stallworth

DE/DT Wharton as a dual purpose guy.

This is my thought concerning the running game: we are largely a microcosm of what is happening in the NFL. Just look at the leading rushers from last year and projections for this year in a fantasy magazine. Very few dudes crack 1,000 yards. I doubt we see anyone approaching the running proficiency that was happening in the mid 00s.

The spread offense has killed running. We are chief among teams with a guy like Reid embracing that. The Titans, Colts and Ravens may know how to run, but that is about it. I also think our RT situation has killed our ability to run since Mitch’s back started hobbling. No consistency on that edge. We don’t have backs who can run inside and the right side, which should be the strong side, is collapsed. Hence why it feels like they try to run left more than right. I think a lot of it is as simple as not having a great run blocking TE, bad RTs, and mediocre RBs.

4 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Khalen Saunders made a case to be on the team tonight. Guy has the most potential on the Interior D Line outside of Chris Jones, guy has always been hurt though, makes it tough to commit a roster spot to.

Im leaning toward out D line group Being

DE Frank Clark, Karloftis, Dunlap, Danna

DT Jones, Shelton, Saunders, Stallworth

DE/DT Wharton as a dual purpose guy.

Just make sure you email your ballot to Veach before the deadline.  Roster voting ends soon.

12 minutes ago, xen said:

Just make sure you email your ballot to Veach before the deadline.  Roster voting ends soon.

he is aware of my thoughts

might swap Nnadi for Stallworth because i think they are essentially the same person and Nnadi carries a 2.5 mil dead cap if cut. doesn't really matter either way in my mind.

7 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

he is aware of my thoughts

might swap Nnadi for Stallworth because i think they are essentially the same person and Nnadi carries a 2.5 mil dead cap if cut. doesn't really matter either way in my mind.

Nnadi is a solid space eater.  Mostly just solid, nothing special but that's usually fine for a NT.  I am interested to see what Shelton is able to do.

Watching game now entering the 3rd quarter. It was mentioned that Washington has a decent Dline, so that could be why the run game didn't work too well tonight. The Commanders (strange calling them that) was really winning against the Chiefs Oline tonight. Creed Humphrey was even having a tough time. 

It's hard to tell in preseason with not everyone playing all the time. I wonder if Chris Jones would have made a difference in run defense, because that seemed to not look so well either. 

I really like the way Mahomes is looking. He still does Mahome's stuff, but is really placing the ball to different receivers very well. I like the way Watson and Fortson played tonight. 

The corners and playing well also, and I'm still really like how Karlaftis is playing.

2 hours ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

Maybe he isnt too concerned about the run game, but with all the new receivers, he is just throwing a lot so they can get their timing down and see who they want to keep.

He should be. It has cost them big games in the last few years