Chiefs vs Washington Preseason Game 2

10 hours ago, 58shineson said:

Chiefs need to hold on to Watson. 

He has been in the league a few years so I wonder if the Chiefs would offer a 2 year extension to lock up a guy that seems to have Mahomes trust and attention.   2/8m or something.   Would be nice to have more than two wrs locked in on a deal past this year.  I have a feeling Juju is gonna be expensive next offseason.

6 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Khalen Saunders made a case to be on the team tonight. Guy has the most potential on the Interior D Line outside of Chris Jones, guy has always been hurt though, makes it tough to commit a roster spot to.

Im leaning toward out D line group Being

DE Frank Clark, Karloftis, Dunlap, Danna

DT Jones, Shelton, Saunders, Stallworth

DE/DT Wharton as a dual purpose guy.

You don't think Nnadi makes this team?  If you keep Saunders then Nnadi makes it over Stallworth imo.  You are right Suanders is an injury risk but he has some juice.

7 hours ago, Calichief said:

He should be. It has cost them big games in the last few years 

Meh.  I think the D is what was really costing us games.  And of course the 2020 offensive line backups.  Have we had the best running game?  Obviously not.  But when you're still top 5 in most offensive metrics year over year you're doing OK on that side of the ball.  Best D finish was 18.  We won the superbowl with that.

Some observations:

Nick Bolton was blowing up plays before they had a chance to develop.  Kid has improved in coverage over where he left off last year.  That's 2 huge steps from where he started for those keeping score.

Khalen Saunders looks great.  Their blockers really struggled with him.  That's 2 games in a row he looked good, also for those keeping score.  He needs to stay healthy though, which has been his problem.

Karlaftis looks primed for a good year.  Sack last week was vs backups.  This one was vs starters and they double teamed him with a T/G.  What an effort.  He's got some Tamba Hali dog in him.

D Line has some juice.  Clark looks faster and more explosive (though like Saunders must stay available).  That's 2 OLines in a row they took it to, this time with no CJ.

The young secondary overall seems better than they have any right to be at this point.  4 of the 5 have a very real chance to be strong contributors.  That seems unlikely at best yet here we are.  I have to think they'll have some struggles in regular season.

Chenal will be a beast.  Probably limited snaps this year (barring injury of course) while he figures out how to cover but he just makes plays every time they put him in.  That late holding call was a guy trying to block chenal's neck.  Elijah Lee looks fine to hold down the fort.  Hopefully Chenal gets some opportunities later in the year like Bolton did last year.

The offense remains good and Mahomes did not forgot how to play.  Looks like they figured out the drop schemes plaguing them last year.

May take a bit for the receivers to get on same page consistently on long passes from mahomes but they'll still have a ton of splash plays.  

I liked both Watson and Fortson. Seems like Mahomes likes them too so expecting both to stick around. The only major issue I see is the RT, Wylie isn't a starter so we need to solidify it somehow. Need to keep Mahomes upright to win, the rest is all secondary concerns.

Bolton made his great rookie season look like cr@p. Reminded more of a DJ-type LB that can do it all, hopefully he keeps that up against tougher competition. The defense has some identity which I think we were lacking later last season.

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

You don't think Nnadi makes this team?  If you keep Saunders then Nnadi makes it over Stallworth imo.  You are right Suanders is an injury risk but he has some juice.

I think Nnadi will make the team because the staff seems to like him and gave him a new contract for the season which seems to be a guaranteed deal.

personally i have never been remotely impressed with him, for a pure run stuffer he doesn’t seem to be overly good at it. If it comes down to Nnadi or Saunders on who makes the team, for instance, i would prefer saunders in hopes he stays healthy. If then saunders gets hurt i think we could grab a guy off the street that gives 90% of what nnadi offers.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Meh.  I think the D is what was really costing us games.  And of course the 2020 offensive line backups.  Have we had the best running game?  Obviously not.  But when you're still top 5 in most offensive metrics year over year you're doing OK on that side of the ball.  Best D finish was 18.  We won the superbowl with that.

It’s fair. I’d say both. All they had to do was run it a few times against cincy. They were giving it to them just like Tampa. What I’ll say is, they need to take it more when it’s there.. would you agree with that?

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

It’s fair. I’d say both. All they had to do was run it a few times against cincy. They were giving it to them just like Tampa. What I’ll say is, they need to take it more when it’s there.. would you agree with that?

Cincinnati game could have also easily been won with the short to intermediate passing game which was pretty meh last year but looks to be a strength this year.

7 minutes ago, xen said:

Cincinnati game could have also easily been won with the short to intermediate passing game which was pretty meh last year but looks to be a strength this year.

It looked like they were doing it in the first half, but tried too hard to bury Cincy fast in the 2nd half. 

35 minutes ago, qnet said:

It looked like they were doing it in the first half, but tried too hard to bury Cincy fast in the 2nd half. 

yea but I'm not really broke up about the Cinci loss..yea it was a stupid loss that shoulda never happened but  IMO the Chiefs did not have a chance in hell vs the Rams  so I'm over it all. I mean 2 SBs in a row against a home team? soo much wrong with that.

side note. fenton pulled his groin, maybe not serious, but he has now proven to be extremely injury prone. i actually think fenton is an extremely good corner, but i wonder if its time to see if he could bring anything back in a trade.

might end up putting him on pup or whatever for the first half of the season and see if the secondary sustains any injuries instead.

33 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

side note. fenton pulled his groin, maybe not serious, but he has now proven to be extremely injury prone. i actually think fenton is an extremely good corner, but i wonder if its time to see if he could bring anything back in a trade.

might end up putting him on pup or whatever for the first half of the season and see if the secondary sustains any injuries instead.

He walked off into the tunnel just fine I see that as more of a precautionary move. JMO our 2ndary is not deep/experienced  enough to go off half cocked and trying to get which I'd think no better than a 5th or later rnd pick for him at this juncture..maybe closer to trade deadline you might have a point

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

yea but I'm not really broke up about the Cinci loss..yea it was a stupid loss that shoulda never happened but  IMO the Chiefs did not have a chance in hell vs the Rams  so I'm over it all. I mean 2 SBs in a row against a home team? soo much wrong with that.

Yeah, deep down I didn't like a Rams matchup either. I'm just so glad they won in 19. I thought if it were going to happen, it was going to have to be fast, during Mahomes rookie contract. 

Rewatching that SB run so many times, I realize now just how good that Chiefs team was. They just seemed so much more determined & together, on both sides of the ball.

It's tougher now, but the homer in me still believes they have a chance to do it again.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I don’t know about that. The rams offense wasn’t better than Cincys. It would have been good.

2 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Side note to the side node, Fenton has missed 2 games in 2 years and is one of our most consistently good players on D.  Don't think it's that time.

17 minutes ago, xen said:

Side note to the side node, Fenton has missed 2 games in 2 years and is one of our most consistently good players on D.  Don't think it's that time.

Side note to that side note. Mex has pulled his groin in the shower so many times that every time it rains he gets an erection.