Chiefs TE situation. Bell/Waiver claim on another TE

Field Yates reported that the Chiefs put in a waiver claim on Kendall Blanton, who was released by the Rams.  Washington got him, but its very curious that we would go after another TE when we have Kelce, Bell, Fortson, and Gray.  

Makes me wonder 1. Is Bell's injury worse than known?, or 2.  Are the Chiefs getting ready to trade a TE away?  

This move doesn't make sense to me as Blanton clearly doesn't seem like a TE that would come in and replace any of the TEs we have.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

That is odd. Gray seems to be the only one they would trade away, but he has more potential than value I would think.

That is what I thought as well.  Can't imagine Fortson has a lot of value outside of the Chiefs, especially coming off that injury.  While he looks great and we are excited for him it doesn't make a lot to sense to trade him leaving a so far underwhelming Gray as the only other viable pass catch option at TE.  Seems like they are hedging their bets on this injury.

19 hours ago, jetlord said:

If Bell is injured, I'd think the Chiefs would go with three TEs until he could return. Bringing in another TE at this point just for competition doesn't make sense.  Gray and Fortson are both on the upswing and Gray can do inline blocking although not to Bell's level.   

Yep, I'm not even sure if we even have a roster spot with the competition all over the place. 5 viable TE options seem like too much of a luxury without a long-term injury in place.

Maybe a trade with NY.? They have no real threats.

The Athletic's Dan Duggan believes TE Ricky Seals-Jones should be the Giants starter when healthy. 

Seals-Jones, who signed with New York after one season in Washington, has missed nearly all of training camp with an undisclosed injury. Daniel Bellinger has worked as the team's starting tight end for much of camp and in preseason games. He's been mostly disastrous, recently dropping a pass from Daniel Jones that resulted in an interception against the Bengals. Seals-Jones could have some fantasy relevance in 2022 simply because the Giants have the worst tight end grouping in the NFL

5 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs announce tight end Blake Bell had hip surgery

Head coach Andy Reid wouldn’t commit to whether or not the team would place Bell on injured reserve.

If they IR him before 53 cut down he's done for the season.  After, he can return early.  

9 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Maybe a trade with NY.? They have no real threats.

The Athletic's Dan Duggan believes TE Ricky Seals-Jones should be the Giants starter when healthy. 

Seals-Jones, who signed with New York after one season in Washington, has missed nearly all of training camp with an undisclosed injury. Daniel Bellinger has worked as the team's starting tight end for much of camp and in preseason games. He's been mostly disastrous, recently dropping a pass from Daniel Jones that resulted in an interception against the Bengals. Seals-Jones could have some fantasy relevance in 2022 simply because the Giants have the worst tight end grouping in the NFL

Shitty blocker and don't like him as a receiver over Fortson and Grey.  He stopped and ate a biscuit in KC a few years ago iirc.  Or did I dream that.

1 minute ago, xen said:

Shitty blocker and don't like him as a receiver over Fortson and Grey.  He stopped and ate a biscuit in KC a few years ago iirc.  Or did I dream that.

My thought was deal and trade a TE to NY not bring this guy back. That was before the Bell news.