Andy Reid

This isn't a preseason topic, just something I've been thinking about. With all the complaints about him at times, I'm really happy that Clark Hunt hired Andy Reid. I've been looking up his record, and he has a better winning percentage with the Chiefs than he had with the Eagles. I don't know when he hangs it up, but at this point; he has surpassed Marty and will surpass Stram in wins as the Chiefs coach in a few seasons ( if he continues at this pace).

This has been really fun with him as coach, with Alex Smith and especially since we drafted Mahomes. I'm looking forward to this season.

13 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Andy is the best coach in the league IMO. He took over a 2-14 team and went 11-5 the next year. I remember when we went 1-5 and the heat was on him. He took all the blame and kept his head up and won the last 10 games in a row with Alex Smith at QB.

Andy is a fantastic leader of men. Its his ability to motivate and how he treats people that is his strength. I think is is a great coach and do not think he is the best coach. One of the best no doubt. So happy he is in KC.

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Andy is a fantastic leader of me. Its his ability to motivate and how he treats people that is his strength. I think is is a great coach and do not think he is the best coach. One of the best no doubt. So happy he is in KC.

Andy is a fantastic leader of me too.

A little off topic, but since coaching has been brought up:  The rejuvenated D-line has indicated that Cullen's coaching has had an effect of the players.  Saunders and Wharton seem to have progressed this TC compared to last year, and Jones and Clark seem primed to play better.  If that's the case, why not find a RB coach that could train Pacheco and get more out of CEH?  May be off base here, but the present system isn't effective.  

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

A little off topic, but since coaching has been brought up:  The rejuvenated D-line has indicated that Cullen's coaching has had an effect of the players.  Saunders and Wharton seem to have progressed this TC compared to last year, and Jones and Clark seem primed to play better.  If that's the case, why not find a RB coach that could train Pacheco and get more out of CEH?  May be off base here, but the present system isn't effective.  

Still need holes opened. So far not really there. Its not the backs. Its also just camp. Too early to say dline is better or rbs are worse.

Seems to me they were running a lot of inside zone.  By a lot, i mean there were only a handful of plays that CEH and Pacheco were in on, and I didn't study them in depth, but in real time I thought that's what I was seeing.  If that's the case that's also not something the oline did a ton of last year so it may be they're adapting to the scheme as well.  Inside zone can be effective but you have multiple options on each play for both the inside linemen and the RB's so it takes a lot of practice.  Hard to do that in the offseason as there's no contact until training camp. Much easier to work on the passing game.

Fyi if you see the C/G combo blocking the inside defender that's a key it's probably inside zone.  The C and G have to decide and communicate in real time who is peeling off to be the 2nd level blocker.  They have to decide quick cause the RB typically has 3 options on each play on where to go.  

I love me some Big Red. As long as he's in KC, we're a playoff contender every year. He's a freaking offensive genius and I hope he stays healthy and on the Chiefs sidelines for many years to come. It will be a sad day when he retires.

Got it? 

OK, that said, if any other head coach in the universe came in and coached OT in the AFCCG last year, the Chiefs go to the SB.

You take the bad with the phenomenal good. It's the same with any head coach. In Reid's case, the negative is far outweighed by the immense positive. But, I still yell at the TV sometimes. 

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Until Bill b does something without brady, I am convinced andy is the best coach in the league. Mcvay being number 2.  

I was thinking same thing.  Having a top tier QB really helps. I feel the same way about Marty, look what he did with an aged Montana. 

6 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Until Bill b does something without brady, I am convinced andy is the best coach in the league. Mcvay being number 2.  

I would rather have Reid over BB as the current coach but frankly I don't see either of them being better than each other. Reid without Mahomes is just a great regular season coach that failed to build on top of that. I do expect the same thing from BB without Brady. However in terms of legacy Reid still needs to pile up on some rings.

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would rather have Reid over BB as the current coach but frankly I don't see either of them being better than each other. Reid without Mahomes is just a great regular season coach that failed to build on top of that. I do expect the same thing from BB without Brady. However in terms of legacy Reid still needs to pile up on some rings.

Some quick food for thought... he has been to 9 conference championship games, 5 without having Mahomes.  Only coach in history to win 100 games with 2 different franchises (remind me how BB did at Cleveland again?)  3 Superbowls, 1 win.  Broke the KC curse/streak of no playoff wins in the last *checks notes* 3008 years.

Andy had a winning record with:

Donovan McNabb

Old Jeff Garcia

Old and Broke Michael Vick (who btw had his best year as a passer with Andy after sitting out for basically 3 years)

Alex Smith

He also made Kevin freakin Kolb look like a legit QB (first qb to throw over 300 yds in first 2 starts)

Obviously BB has him and everyone else in SB wins.  He also had the greatest QB of all time.  For teams without vampires at QB, winning superbowls is usually extremely difficult.

2 hours ago, xen said:

Some quick food for thought... he has been to 9 conference championship games, 5 without having Mahomes.  Only coach in history to win 100 games with 2 different franchises (remind me how BB did at Cleveland again?)  3 Superbowls, 1 win.  Broke the KC curse/streak of no playoff wins in the last *checks notes* 3008 years.

Andy had a winning record with:

Donovan McNabb

Old Jeff Garcia

Old and Broke Michael Vick (who btw had his best year as a passer with Andy after sitting out for basically 3 years)

Alex Smith

He also made Kevin freakin Kolb look like a legit QB (first qb to throw over 300 yds in first 2 starts)

Obviously BB has him and everyone else in SB wins.  He also had the greatest QB of all time.  For teams without vampires at QB, winning superbowls is usually extremely difficult.

That's a great resume which will fade away rather soon. I like Reid more but if they both retired today I think BB would be remembered as the greater coach with the greater legacy. Reid needs to win more SBs as nobody will remember having a winning-losing record with any QBs some time ago. 

11 minutes ago, robgar said:

Reid is by far the better coach. 

I agree. Overall better.

id like to see Andy adjust in game better but at this point he is who he is. And I’m done running the “run game” issues he has into the ground. 

Andy got us a SB win as HC and I'll be forever thankful for that. A great offensive mind in the passing game. I really like Andy and his ability to relate to players. But I think we all realize that without Mahomes, we'd probably want him out of here by now. Not sure there is another QB who would have come back on HOU. TENN. and SF. With AS, we would have been one and done and not a SB champion.