Official 2022 Record prediction thread

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Technically true, but they'll have to pay him after two more years.  No way do they let Herbert become a FA.  

No but that 5th year option will be part of the new deal based on what other QBs have done recently, including Pat and Josh.  Even the 5th year is still a bargain compared to current QB prices.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

This is what was said about KC. Wait till they have to pay PM. Well that has not happened. Good teams find a way to thrive. Veach has been a difference maker. There are other good front offices too. We shall see who rises to the top and who falls. Drafts will be more the key than QB salaries.

The Tyreek Hill trade was actually totally necessary.  Five picks by Veach. Knowing Veach, at least 3 of them will end up starters before their first contract is up.  The cap space alone will let us re-sign some key players to a new contract. It's what good teams do.  That and structuring contracts so that they can be re-structured when necessary.

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah but mahomes took a deal that worked great for the team. His deal now will be far less by the time Herbert comes up for contract. 

Even so its still a lot of money. My point is the Herbert situation is not clear. There is no short window and then all the teams with top QBs will suffer. Now the Charger brass may screw it up but its not certain. 

23 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Even so its still a lot of money. My point is the Herbert situation is not clear. There is no short window and then all the teams with top QBs will suffer. Now the Charger brass may screw it up but its not certain. 

The Chargers brass is pretty good.  It's the players and coaches that screw it up

23 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The Tyreek Hill trade was actually totally necessary.  Five picks by Veach. Knowing Veach, at least 3 of them will end up starters before their first contract is up.  The cap space alone will let us re-sign some key players to a new contract. It's what good teams do.  That and structuring contracts so that they can be re-structured when necessary.

3 of them are already starters.  Karlaftis, McDuffie (or Watson in the last game if you prefer) and Chenal has been the starting Sam.

47 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Pacheco, Cook, and Moore are also playing roles as well.  Pretty good haul for one draft.  Thank you, Tyreek

What ones were the picks for tyreek again? McDuffie or Chenal? And I take it the 3 above? At work or I could look it up if I had time.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

What ones were the picks for tyreek again? McDuffie or Chenal? And I take it the 3 above? At work or I could look it up if I had time.

Technically it was McDuffie, Kinnard and Skyy Moore this year.  We traded the 4th from the reek haul to move up for McDuffie.  Then traded down in the 2nd to pick up a 5th, then took Skyy.  Then traded up in the 5th using the NE 5th from the Skyy trade plus a 7th to take Kinnard.

27 minutes ago, xen said:

Technically it was McDuffie, Kinnard and Skyy Moore this year.  We traded the 4th from the reek haul to move up for McDuffie.  Then traded down in the 2nd to pick up a 5th, then took Skyy.  Then traded up in the 5th using the NE 5th from the Skyy trade plus a 7th to take Kinnard.

Nice

Still 2 picks to go plus saved 30 mil

10 hours ago, xen said:

3 of them are already starters.  Karlaftis, McDuffie (or Watson in the last game if you prefer) and Chenal has been the starting Sam.

You're right. Not all of the choices were this year, though.  We get two picks next season. We might trade those choices to move up for somebody. Chenal may have started a game, but I don't think we can call him THE starter yet. Anyway, it was a great haul, and much of the value will be in the way we will be able to afford to KEEP some key guys because of the money saved.  Guys like Jones and Brown that otherwise may have been lost.  It sets us up for great success and depth.

4 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You're right. Not all of the choices were this year, though.  We get two picks next season. We might trade those choices to move up for somebody. Chenal may have started a game, but I don't think we can call him THE starter yet. Anyway, it was a great haul, and much of the value will be in the way we will be able to afford to KEEP some key guys because of the money saved.  Guys like Jones and Brown that otherwise may have been lost.  It sets up up for great success and depth.

Chenal started when we played base in both games.  He got about half the Sam snaps in game 1 and nearly 90% of the Sam snaps in game 2.  KC mostly played nickel both games.  Base 43 was mostly played on obvious run downs.

If the question is, is the Sam a starting position when we play that much nickel, that's a legitimate question.  If the question is who's the starting Sam, it's Chenal.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

You're right. Not all of the choices were this year, though.  We get two picks next season. We might trade those choices to move up for somebody. Chenal may have started a game, but I don't think we can call him THE starter yet. Anyway, it was a great haul, and much of the value will be in the way we will be able to afford to KEEP some key guys because of the money saved.  Guys like Jones and Brown that otherwise may have been lost.  It sets up up for great success and depth.

I have my own definition of what is a "starter".  Two RBs, Two TEs, Four WR, Three LB, Four DE, Three DT, Three CB, and Three S.  Now obviously, most of the above have only one true starter, but the others play a lot of snaps and are essential to team success.  So if a draft pick is the #2 TE or #4 WR, it's still not a wasted pick.  JMHO

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

I have my own definition of what is a "starter".  Two RBs, Two TEs, Four WR, Three LB, Four DE, Three DT, Three CB, and Three S.  Now obviously, most of the above have only one true starter, but the others play a lot of snaps and are essential to team success.  So if a draft pick is the #2 TE or #4 WR, it's still not a wasted pick.  JMHO

"I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have an opinion, why be humble about it"?

- Joan Baez

:lol:

4 hours ago, xen said:

Chenal started when we played base in both games.  He got about half the Sam snaps in game 1 and nearly 90% of the Sam snaps in game 2.  KC mostly played nickel both games.  Base 43 was mostly played on obvious run downs.

If the question is, is the Sam a starting position when we play that much nickel, that's a legitimate question.  If the question is who's the starting Sam, it's Chenal.

I suppose that's right.  I'll make a note of that. ✍️

Gay's suspension really worries me.  Came out of the blue.  Too much for damaging a vacuum cleaner.  Maybe it was a top-end Roomba.  That would be a different matter.

Seriously, we'd better have someone ready for the long term.  Gay has a few mental issues, and something like this can happen at any time. Can't afford too much drop off in speed in the linebacker unit. Leaving us vulnerable on the edge kind of messes up the whole Spagnuolo plan for the secondary.

• 3 months later...

3 hours ago, robgar said:

Cant find a 14-3.. 

several 13-4's.. 

and one 15 -2.. 

but not 14-3

and a whole lotta nonbelievers, but then thats pretty much what happens here. 

Uh, not that this guy needs any help being even MORE of an insufferable prick... but reese nailed it. I mean... like NAILED it. Probably the most accurate prediction in the history of the CC. Especially the vagina part.

Only reason I'm posting it, is so the SOB doesn't get the pleasure of doing it himself.