Veach on keeping only 5 WRs

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/02/kansas-city-chiefs-2022-roster-cuts-brett-veach-five-receiver-decision/

A couple – I think sometimes there is that game within the game, so knowing how waiver wires work and knowing the trends of claims and knowing where we’ve been exposed over the years.
I think like defensive end is one position that it seems like for some reason we always accumulate injuries at the position and we’re always a little short at the defensive end position.

We have a couple of older, veteran guys at that position as well and we thought that there would be a good chance to go heavier on that and have the opportunity to come back and have these guys like Daurice (Fountain) ready to go and put him on the practice squad.
Daurice was one of them – we had a good conversation – it’s just a matter of time before we’re going to need him, and he’ll be on the team at some point – it’s such a long season.

I really like how Veach is so forth coming and well thought out in decision making. Dude is a stud GM. 

Someone listed the number of snaps the draft choices got with their original teams since the 2019 draft.  KC was way ahead and that's without a first round pick in several of those years.  Not sure how that translates to good scouting/drafting, but it seems like a good thing.  The value in the seventh round is exeptional.  Jaylon Watson is near starter quality and Pacheko is slated to be a serious contributor this season.  Maybe some of the nine that made the 53 will bust, but it still looks like one of the best drafts ever.  Props to Veach/Reid.   

What makes it good is that the Chiefs have played in four AFC Championships in a row....These players are getting MEANINGFUL snaps.

Also,

I agree with you OT.  Hunt Jr. has done a great job as well IMO.

But I am not a "local" so I would like to know what the folks in the great KC area think?

w

in regards to the 5 wr's.. we also cant forget the overly large reciever group.. Some people call them Tight Ends.. 

I call them the chiefs secret weapons.. 

mvs kelce fortson hardman

and pacheco out of the back field.. 

3,  sub 4.4 guys.. and a pair of really good tight ends.. 

hard package to defend.

On 9/3/2022 at 12:57 PM, West said:

What makes it good is that the Chiefs have played in four AFC Championships in a row....These players are getting MEANINGFUL snaps.

Also,

I agree with you OT.  Hunt Jr. has done a great job as well IMO.

But I am not a "local" so I would like to know what the folks in the great KC area think?

w

I agree. Great organization in both generations.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I think Veach developed quite nicely but the growing pains surely were there.

Were there really that any growing pains?  The 2018 draft wasn't productive and Reid kept Sutton as DC too long.  Aside from that, I think the franchise has made mostly good moves. Cap management has been good.  The last four drafts have been good.  The play on the field has been good.  Relationships with the community and the fan base has been good. Veach has make some mistakes, but far more good decisions and I'd rank him at the top of GM success.  

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Were there really that any growing pains?  The 2018 draft wasn't productive and Reid kept Sutton as DC too long.  Aside from that, I think the franchise has made mostly good moves. Cap management has been good.  The last four drafts have been good.  The play on the field has been good.  Relationships with the community and the fan base has been good. Veach has make some mistakes, but far more good decisions and I'd rank him at the top of GM success.  

I agree. The best thing I like about Veach that frustrates me about our past GMs was if there is something that we need or something that needs to be over hauled he gets on it. He doesn’t dick around. He is always pushing the envelope to aquire players. 

On 9/3/2022 at 1:00 PM, robgar said:

in regards to the 5 wr's.. we also cant forget the overly large reciever group.. Some people call them Tight Ends.. 

hard package to defend.

We are deep at tight end, and the sub packages are going be to different from the last few years.  I'd be shocked if we see all 5 WRs on the field at the same time at any point this year.  The offense is going to be very different with the route trees and formations.  The funny part is, I'm fully expecting a lot of power formations with multiple tight ends and Burton on the field together, but Andy still won't run it.  I really hope we scale back those RPO's.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:00 AM, robgar said:

hard package to defend.

Fortson is probably the reason why we only went 5 WRs. He converted from TE, and he'll be a mismatch for LB's. 

22 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think those were mostly the growing pains and not sure if I hate having them. Pioli came from a very comfy environment only to mess up the franchise for almost a decade. Drafts have been getting considerably better and especially the last 2 show the improvement on Veach's side as he identified the needs very well and seems to have found very good solutions. Initially it was more "flashy" approach but right now I believe Veach will stay here beyond Reid's tenure. 

50 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I think those were mostly the growing pains and not sure if I hate having them. Pioli came from a very comfy environment only to mess up the franchise for almost a decade. Drafts have been getting considerably better and especially the last 2 show the improvement on Veach's side as he identified the needs very well and seems to have found very good solutions. Initially it was more "flashy" approach but right now I believe Veach will stay here beyond Reid's tenure. 

I'd agree with that mainly because of age/health and Veach has at least one Head Coach hire coming to him, he has earned it..just pray it is not EB.

14 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Fortson is probably the reason why we only went 5 WRs. He converted from TE, and he'll be a mismatch for LB's. 

actually he was converted from a WR to TE a few years back. Have not been able to see what he can truly do since he has been hit by the injury bug the last few seasons