McDuffie On IR

Chiefs placed CB Trent McDuffie (hamstring) on injured reserve.

McDuffie left Kansas City's win over Arizona in the second half and was carted into the locker room. He played 21 coverage snaps before departing, and even though he's a rookie, this will probably hurt Kansas City's pass defense a bit. McDuffie will miss at least four weeks. 

7 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs placed CB Trent McDuffie (hamstring) on injured reserve.

McDuffie left Kansas City's win over Arizona in the second half and was carted into the locker room. He played 21 coverage snaps before departing, and even though he's a rookie, this will probably hurt Kansas City's pass defense a bit. McDuffie will miss at least four weeks. 

Ouch. That hurts. Could have been a lot worse though.

We have activated Practice Squad players LB Jack Cochrane & LB Elijah Lee. We have signed K Matt Ammendola, CB Dicaprio Bootle, & WR Corey Coleman to the Practice Squad. We have placed CB Trent McDuffie on Reserve/Injured. We released S James Wiggins from the practice squad.

Just now, jetlord said:

I'd bet the Chargers would trade facing McDuffie for getting Allen back for the game on Thurs.  He's the receiver that scares me the most. 

Of course. Not sure why the assumption is that Trent would be covering Allen or that Trent is already a shut down corner? Ariz. did not have their top playmakers available. I think Trent is going to be very good but we dont really know much yet and once teams see film on a guy they find a way to attack his weakness or tendencies. 

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Of course. Not sure why the assumption is that Trent would be covering Allen or that Trent is already a shut down corner? Ariz. did not have their top playmakers available. I think Trent is going to be very good but we dont really know much yet and once teams see film on a guy they find a way to attack his weakness or tendencies. 

Maybe a taller guy like Watson or Williams will be just as effective against Mike Williams.  Sneed is the only one I would trust to shut him down, but Jaylon Watson looks like he might be another Veach late round discovery.  

Just now, jetlord said:

Maybe a taller guy like Watson or Williams will be just as effective against Mike Williams.  Sneed is the only one I would trust to shut him down, but Jaylon Watson looks like he might be another Veach late round discovery.  

Hope you are correct. Very rare that any first year DB has immediate success let alone 3 guys on one team. Best situation for KC is winning a shoot out. Hope the KC tackles can contain the pass rush. I expect Chargers to light the KC secondary up Thursday. Hoping I am WRONG!

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Hope you are correct. Very rare that any first year DB has immediate success let alone 3 guys on one team. Best situation for KC is winning a shoot out. Hope the KC tackles can contain the pass rush. I expect Chargers to light the KC secondary up Thursday. Hoping I am WRONG!

I'm hoping the Chiefs pass rush can make a difference.  Their debut against the Cards wasn't a real test since containing Murray was primary over getting sacks.  Herbert can move, but he isn't Murray.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

I'm hoping the Chiefs pass rush can make a difference.  Their debut against the Cards wasn't a real test since containing Murray was primary over getting sacks.  Herbert can move, but he isn't Murray.  

Should be a good litmus test for both teams. Cant wait. 

On Tuesday, the Kansas City Chiefs placed injured rookie cornerback Trent McDuffie on its Reserve/Injured (injured reserve) list and made six other roster moves: signing practice squad linebackers Jack Cochrane and Elijah Lee to the active roster, adding placekicker Matt Ammendola, cornerback Dicaprio Bootle and wide receiver Corey Coleman to the practice squad and releasing safety James Wiggins from the practice squad.

Together, these moves reduced the team’s salary cap space by $1.3 million. But there was a problem: according to the salary cap site Spotrac, the team only had $422,000 with which to work. So the moves would have put the Chiefs $829,000 over the salary cap.

On Wednesday morning, we learned how the Chiefs had decided to manage this problem: by restructuring the contract of placekicker Harrison Butker.

This has been a problem we have been waiting for the Chiefs to solve ever since injured tight end Blake Bell was moved to the Reserve/Injured list after making the initial roster. It had been reported that Lee (who started the season on the practice squad) would occupy Bell’s vacated roster spot before the season opener against the Arizona Cardinals.

But since the team had so little cap space, this wasn’t possible without an additional roster move. According to Spotrac’s calculations, the team’s cap space was down to $46,000 at one point. Then last Wednesday, the team cleared $430,000 in cap space by waiving injured tight end Matt Bushman with an injury settlement. That gave the Chiefs a little more room with which to work.

It still, however, wasn’t enough to put Lee on the 53-man roster. So he (and wide receiver Daurice Fountain) were given single-game elevations to the active roster for last Sunday’s game — moves that had much smaller salary-cap impacts.

With this $1.5 million from the Butker contract restructure, we now estimate that the Chiefs have $628,000 in cap space. The downside is that Butker’s contract will now carry a cap hit that is $729,000 higher in both 2023 and 2024.