Big time W!

No conclusion can be drawn from this.  Looking ahead, though, if both teams remain the same as now in their late season matchup and their injuries equal, the Chargers will have a 3 point home advantage and another 3 points for the revenge motive.  But we have more new young guys, and they will all have nearly a seaon more under their belts...and they will gel by mid to late season.  To me, that will easily wipe out that 6 points.  We will have McDuffie covering Williams instead of Fenton.  If we have equal chances of injuries to major players as the Chargers.  I pick the Chiefs in that late season game.

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Like my Dad always told me, "If the dog hadn't stopped to piss, he'd have caught the rabbit."

Yes. Almost every fan base, including KC, will blame the calls, the drops, the ints , tip passes , the weather etc for a loss. Yes KC was a bit lucky in this game. Chargers had plenty of chances to put this game away and did not. They did not make enough big plays to win. Herbert injury did not help but again KC put the hurt on him.

Its funny. Most NFL fans give all the credit to their player that has made a great play or score. When the other team makes a great play or score those same fans find blame vs giving the other team and player credit. 

2 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

No conclusion can be drawn from this.  Looking ahead, though, if both teams remain the same as now in their late season matchup and their injuries equal, the Chargers will have a 3 point home advantage and another 3 points for the revenge motive.  But we have more new young guys, and they will all have nearly a seaon more under their belts...and they will gel by mid to late season.  To me, that will easily wipe out that 6 points.  We will have McDuffie covering Williams instead of Fenton.  If we have equal chances of injuries to major players as the Chargers.  I pick the Chiefs in that late season game.

Good points. Of course the Chargers also have lots of new players that they think will keep getting better. I give KC the leadership edge and playoff experience edge. Should be a great exciting season. AFC West will be nuts.

The Chiefs have an uphill climb to stay even with the Chargers unless they beat them again in Nov.  Chiefs play TPA, Chargers get ATL.  Chiefs play BUFF, Chargers get MIA.  Chiefs play CINN, Chargers get the Browns.  Quite a difference in schedule strength.  ATL and CLE could be bottom feeders and MIA is winnable compared to the Bills.  Not complaining, winning gets a tougher schedule the next season, but KC will most likely have to beat the Chargers a second time to win unless they win divisional games that the Chargers lose. 

12 hours ago, azchief21 said:

The whining from the Chargers fans about how they would have won if they didn't drop interceptions is unbearable. Watson caught an interception to win the game. That's how football works. 

Yeah you're right. I read through their board after the game and they were three of the whiniest people I've ever seen.

23 hours ago, qnet said:

Here's a good breakdown of the Chiefs Oline vs. Chargers Dline if anyone is interested. 

Film Study: Analyzing the DOMINANT Chiefs Offensive Line vs Chargers

Good for shit, where are all the rest of the plays? Especially the 20 where Mahomes was under pressure? There's only a couple in there. I'm not interested in just the plays that make them look great. This was like watching a college highlight video.

1 minute ago, kccrow said:

Good for shit, where are all the rest of the plays? Especially the 20 where Mahomes was under pressure? There's only a couple in there. I'm not interested in just the plays that make them look great. This was like watching a college highlight video.

Good point, but it seemed that the line played well enough considering the level of the Chargers D-line.  Herbert took a worse beating from the Chiefs much maligned D-line than Mahomes did from the Chargers'.  My only gripe is that the Chiefs seem to have more trouble making a obvious yard rushing than they should behind a good interior line.  I put that on Reid and his lack of faith in pounding it in.  

11 minutes ago, kccrow said:

Where can one see pressure stats? I see he was hit 8 times with one of them being a sack. Curious though where I can see pressures.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Where can one see pressure stats? I see he was hit 8 times with one of them being a sack. Curious though where I can see pressures.

Couple places I know of:

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php

stats aren't usually out until after all the games are played there.

and

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MahoPa00.htm

If you go to a QB and go to Advanced Passing, there is a tab for Pressure but this one is only a running total and doesn't show individual weeks.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Good point, but it seemed that the line played well enough considering the level of the Chargers D-line.  Herbert took a worse beating from the Chiefs much maligned D-line than Mahomes did from the Chargers'.  My only gripe is that the Chiefs seem to have more trouble making a obvious yard rushing than they should behind a good interior line.  I put that on Reid and his lack of faith in pounding it in.  

They did not play very well. They gave up like a 60% pressure rate. The Chargers didn't get home alot but they made Pat work and that's the part that really matters for defenses. Sacks are just a glory stat.

Here's a Twitter post on the pressures from SD

7 hours ago, kccrow said:

They did not play very well. They gave up like a 60% pressure rate. The Chargers didn't get home alot but they made Pat work and that's the part that really matters for defenses. Sacks are just a glory stat.

Here's a Twitter post on the pressures from SD

The oline’s strength is run blocking for sure. Although that wasn’t the intention when built.

It’s amazing what pat has done with poor defenses and at times poor and average oline’s… 

it’s scary to think that he could do even more than he already has.

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

I agree with the first part. The Chargers are a great team with a great D-line and LB's.   Both were playing a short week. I trust that the coaching staff will study the hell out of it and be ready to struggle with them again in week 10 or whatever it is.  They may even meet a third time in the playoffs.  I'm not worried about our running game.  The one thing we know is that we have to beat them again, either the 2nd time or the 3rd time. The teams are equally good.  The score in the first game pretty much shows how good both teams are right now.

11 hours ago, kccrow said:

Fair enough, but they did win the game, and that's what this thread is about. I'm interested in those plays because those plays contributed to them winning. Take away those plays, and they definitely lose; the way the Chargers Dline was playing. 

7 hours ago, qnet said:

Fair enough, but they did win the game, and that's what this thread is about. I'm interested in those plays because those plays contributed to them winning. Take away those plays, and they definitely lose; the way the Chargers Dline was playing. 

A big defensive play by Watkins is the reason for the win or the Chiefs most likely lose that game handily. Not that there weren't offensive contributions, but we're talking alot less about the offensive line being good in a 31-20 loss than a 27-24 win.

31 minutes ago, kccrow said:

A big defensive play by Watkins is the reason for the win or the Chiefs most likely lose that game handily. Not that there weren't offensive contributions, but we're talking alot less about the offensive line being good in a 31-20 loss than a 27-24 win.

I agree that that play was pivotal, no doubt, but I think it all counts towards the win. You believe that the offensive line just didn't do that good for the entirety of the game, and I get that. I just like watching what they did actually do good, and it's fun to watch and evaluate.  Had they lost, I probably wouldn't have bothered posting it, because I know everyone would be pissed and wouldn't care. 

Anyway, I'll still enjoy watching those types of videos, and I know everyone won't agree with it.