Chiefs Colts

Mahomes took the league by storm. Nobody had seen anything like it. But this is the NFL. They made defensive adjustments to neutralize him. Our coaching staff has not made counter adjustments. Veach decided against keeping a top WR1. This decision can be argued both ways. But it appears teams have no fear of our passing attack with a roster full of borderline WR2s. Kelce is Kelce but as an opposing DC, who scares you? I told myself this WR room would be better with more depth as Mahomes would be able to spread it around...they wouldn't know who to key on. I was wrong. I was also wrong about Skyy Moore & Fortson. Having said that, we are only at game 3 so hoping they just need to gel. Unfortunately the O-line is going backwards. 

Andy loves Mahomes and the shiny offense he can have with him at QB but his #1 duty is the HC, the rest is just secondary. The ST has been an issue this year and Reid is the guy who should be holding Toub accountable. The rest is true for all positional coaches and coordinators. The offense has been a major issue since late last season when Mahomes led us to something in the first half and we collapsed afterwards. We definitely need some new playcalling and may be a switch to the basics. However it all starts with Reid actually cherishing the HC duties, all shortcomings on all aspects of the game is his problem. 

9 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I was not serious about him calling the plays. Just a sarcastic comment based on how plays are working out now and issues getting them in on time.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this and ive mentioned it before is a couple series a game go up tempo and let Mahomes call the plays similiar to what Kelly used to do with the Bills.  Cut EB and Andy out of the equation and cut the kid loose and see what he does.  

Him and Kelce are the ones that knew what to do in 13 seconds.  Mahomes also was the one that wanted to run the Wasp play in the SB on that 4th down so he probably has better feel than the coaches on what to do in game than they do.  

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

Mahomes reverted yesterday too: he was not good at all yesterday. 
He missed guys, missed throws, and wasn’t taking what was there.

Yes. I think he is as focused on his stats , media take etc as he is on winning. Not surprising. Its human nature.

2 hours ago, Calichief said:

Mahomes reverted yesterday too: he was not good at all yesterday. 
He missed guys, missed throws, and wasn’t taking what was there.

Went to the game.. 

Mahomes was fine. Made great tight throws when it mattered, like that one to JuJu. Kelce dropped a beautiful touchdown pass that would have easily won the game. 

The offensive line mainly LT needs some work. And we need to be able to run the ball. We can’t with the backs we got. Hoping to see RoJo get his chance. 

The receivers also struggle at getting open, specifically Hardman. Need to start seeing Skyy get some snaps

MATT AMMENDOLAK, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Chiefs released K Matt Ammendola.

Filling in for Harrison Butker (ankle) the last two weeks, Ammendola was great in Week 2 against the Chargers, nailing 3-of-3 field goals and both of his extra points. But Ammendola was one of the culprits in Week 3's stunning loss to the Colts, missing an extra point and then a 34-yard field goal in the fourth quarter that would've put the Chiefs up 20-13. They ended up losing 20-17. Butker will likely be back for Week 4 against the Bucs.

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:
MATT AMMENDOLAK, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

Chiefs released K Matt Ammendola.

Filling in for Harrison Butker (ankle) the last two weeks, Ammendola was great in Week 2 against the Chargers, nailing 3-of-3 field goals and both of his extra points. But Ammendola was one of the culprits in Week 3's stunning loss to the Colts, missing an extra point and then a 34-yard field goal in the fourth quarter that would've put the Chiefs up 20-13. They ended up losing 20-17. Butker will likely be back for Week 4 against the Bucs.

I am glad the Chiefs released him.  IMO they never should have signed him.  They have a guy, sorry I do not remember his name, already on the team.  He worked out well in the 1st game. As I recall missed just 1 pat but hit a pretty long FG.

10 hours ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

I am glad the Chiefs released him.  IMO they never should have signed him.  They have a guy, sorry I do not remember his name, already on the team.  He worked out well in the 1st game. As I recall missed just 1 pat but hit a pretty long FG.

you mead Reed? the Saftey?

11 hours ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

Can't rely on an active player for the kicks, one minor game injury and we lose 2 positions.

The bottom line

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/9/27/23372283/film-review-the-key-to-what-is-hurting-the-chiefs-offensively

12 personnel wasn't the only reason the Chiefs were bad offensively Sunday. The offensive line was poor, receivers weren't separating, and the Chiefs couldn't run the ball. Everything was going bad for the Chiefs Sunday, so pinning all the blame on one personnel group would be entirely unfair.

Still, when I went back and watched the game, I kept writing down how bad the Chiefs offense looked out of 12 personnel. This was a problem in Week 2 but exasperated in Week3. Teams aren't respecting the run game enough right now to put heavier personnel on the field.

Why? Because the Chiefs keep flexing Kelce and Gray out as receivers, which means they can't help in the run game. This kills the play-action game since there's no run threat.

Combine that with the inability to get anything going vertically out of 12 personnel, and the Chiefs lack identity in their offense right now. It's only Week 3, and it'll take time to build that identity. But, right now, the Chiefs' offense is better in theory than reality.

The Chiefs are going to have to solve their run game first if they want any chance to succeed offensively. If they can solve that, the play-action game will be open, and the efficiency will return.

But, until we reach that point, I'm very concerned about this offense.

41 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

The Chiefs are going to have to solve their run game first if they want any chance to succeed offensively. If they can solve that, the play-action game will be open, and the efficiency will return.

But, until we reach that point, I'm very concerned about this offense.

Welp, there it is. That's we've been screaming since last year. We have 3 (4 if you count OBJ) road graders up front that are better run blockers than pass blockers, but we wont commit to the running game. Notice I said "commit".  An 85/15% pass to run ratio is not commiting. 

What boggles my mind is that we actually run the ball on first downs and typically pick up good yardage..We just never stick to it on 2nd and 3rd. Opposing Teams KNOW THIS already about the chiefs. 

I can't remember the last time I saw an opposing defense come out in a base, 3 LB set. They're always in a Nickel set...no matter what.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

you mead Reed? the Saftey?

It could be Reed.  I did not remember the name, sorry, but he did well as the emergency kicker when Butker  got hurt in the AZ game.  Ammendola proved he was worthless so why not use Reed again just as the emergency kicker until the do find a suitable kicker until Butker (sp) comes back?  

12 minutes ago, NCK Chiefs Fan said:

It could be Reed.  I did not remember the name, sorry, but he did well as the emergency kicker when Butker  got hurt in the AZ game.  Ammendola proved he was worthless so why not use Reed again just as the emergency kicker until the do find a suitable kicker until Butker (sp) comes back?  

It was Reed

4 hours ago, artsy said:

Welp, there it is. That's we've been screaming since last year. We have 3 (4 if you count OBJ) road graders up front that are better run blockers than pass blockers, but we wont commit to the running game. Notice I said "commit".  An 85/15% pass to run ratio is not commiting. 

What boggles my mind is that we actually run the ball on first downs and typically pick up good yardage..We just never stick to it on 2nd and 3rd. Opposing Teams KNOW THIS already about the chiefs. 

I can't remember the last time I saw an opposing defense come out in a base, 3 LB set. They're always in a Nickel set...no matter what.

Yep. And Gus Bradley actually changed his D.