Offensive line

Both tackles played horrible last night. They did get a little better in the second half but not enough to cut them any slack. The WR seem to be doing a little better with seperation not great but they are improving as little. If this getting better thing continues by the time we are in the home stretch of the schedule they could be scary.

7 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

Both tackles played horrible last night. They did get a little better in the second half but not enough to cut them any slack. The WR seem to be doing a little better with seperation not great but they are improving as little. If this getting better thing continues by the time we are in the home stretch of the schedule they could be scary.

altho I agree 100% to be fair look who they where up against.. those guys are brutal. It appears our O-line has not been fixed as was once thought which just adds to the problem of solving our other needs. Veach is going to have to have another ALL WORLD draft next year.

I heard on Sunday that the DA BEARS will have over 100 Mil in cap space next year.. I mean WTF? That'll set the market making many FA's all but unaffordable  

On 9/26/2022 at 11:15 AM, Palangi said:

I feel like we are trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole, with obj. I’d like to see Veach get creative in trading him before the deadline. He is definitely not worth a top tackle contract. 

a couple ideas…

detroit gets Brown.  
chiefs get Pene Sewell. 
Detroit gets a big physical RT to play opposite Taylor. Brown will obviously have to be convinced. Chiefs get a young LT. Pene will want to be a LT. And his pass blocking fits what the chiefs are more. 

Jaguars get Brown. 
Chiefs get 2nd round pick and Walker Little. 
Little is the back up to Robinson and Taylor. But OBJ can start at LT and Can Robinson becomes their swing tackle or kicks into guard. Improves their line for their young QB. 
Little is a great pass blocker and is a perfect Reid tackle being tall and long. 

Titans get OBJ. 
Chiefs get 2nd round pick and Petit-Frere. 
Lean is out for the year and OBJ is Taylor made for their run first offense. Petit-Frere was a top tackle prospect in this last draft and am athletic pass protector. 

How about convincing OBJ to move back to the Right side and draft a top LT with 4 years of college experience?  Move up in the draft to do so. OBJ is much better at RT, and the Ravens knew that. OBJ probably has too much pride to go along with that.  It's the reason he didn't renew with the Raven to start with.

4 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Last night was the first time outside of the Chargers game that our tackles looked like well below avg tackles.  It isn't going to get any easier either as teams across the nfl have loaded up on pass rushers to stop us.

Of course, they were going up against two of the very best pass rushers in the league. That would make any OT's look below average, right?

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Of course, they were going up against two of the very best pass rushers in the league. That would make any OT's look below average, right?

Yea, I don't know about that...Everyone knows that Wylie can be bull-rushed and everyone knows that OBJ can't handle speed. It's no secret. 

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

OBJ thinks of himself as ELITE which he clearly is not Yes they'd make your Journeyman  LT look bad but not one of a Willie Roaf type ability. To protect a $500 M QB  the Chiefs need a Roaf type LT. Easier said  than done  but Star Wars There Is No Try GIF

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

OBJ thinks of himself as ELITE which he clearly is not Yes they'd make your Journeyman  LT look bad but not one of a Willie Roaf type ability. To protect a $500 M QB  the Chiefs need a Roaf type LT. Easier said  than done  but Star Wars There Is No Try GIF

While I can understand the reasoning behind tagging OBJ and letting him "earn" it, I still don't understand the decision not to sign a FA RT. I know that there was/is better FA RTs out there than Wylie. I can guess that they're waiting on Niang, but he has not shown that he can hold up a full season. 

23 minutes ago, artsy said:

While I can understand the reasoning behind tagging OBJ and letting him "earn" it, I still don't understand the decision not to sign a FA RT. I know that there was/is better FA RTs out there than Wylie. I can guess that they're waiting on Niang, but he has not shown that he can hold up a full season. 

Three possible reasons:

1) Wylie is still young, has all the prototypic physical qualities of a RT, and has learned the offense for a few years under Reid's system

2) Wylie is versatile and can multiple positions along the line, something the Chiefs value very much.

3) It takes 5 years on average for an O-lineman to reach full development. Witness how many years people were clamoring for us to give up on Eric Berry. 

4) A free agent RT better than Wylie would cost in up front cap space money we will need to re-sign Chris Jones, Sneed, and others we cannot affort to lose.

16 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Three possible reasons:

1) Wylie is still young, has all the prototypic physical qualities of a RT, and has learned the offense for a few years under Reid's system

2) Wylie is versatile and can multiple positions along the line, something the Chiefs value very much.

3) It takes 5 years on average for an O-lineman to reach full development. Witness how many years people were clamoring for us to give up on Eric Berry. 

4) A free agent RT better than Wylie would cost in up front cap space money we will need to re-sign Chris Jones, Sneed, and others we cannot affort to lose.

That was four :)

Wylie is backup material. I don’t think he has a higher ceiling. If they only planned for him to start, that is Niemann-like judgment. Replacing Brown is a lot harder than Wylie though.

55 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Three possible reasons:

5 years? Can I get a factual  reference for that please? 

I am sure you are taking your daily supplement of Prevagen but I seem to recall the Chiefs drafted EB to an immediate star in which in his Rookie year made 92 tackles, 4 INTs. 9 pass deflections, 1 forced fumble and was the first Chiefs rookie since DT to make the Pro Bowl.https://playersbio.com/eric-berry-bio/

So whodafuk  would be "clamoring" for us to "give up" on EB? Yea maybe at the end of his career but that's not what we are talking about here.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

How about convincing OBJ to move back to the Right side and draft a top LT with 4 years of college experience?  Move up in the draft to do so. OBJ is much better at RT, and the Ravens knew that. OBJ probably has too much pride to go along with that.  It's the reason he didn't renew with the Raven to start with.

OBJ will not play RT. He is hellbent on being a LT because his daddy told him to be LT. LT is where the money is. Chiefs will not pay him top LT money.

I think RT moving forward next year will be Niang which showed very nice when healthy. Relying on him to remain healthy will be the question mark. 

don’t forget Kinnard who was the top lineman in the SEC last year to push Niang. I would like to see him get an opportunity at some point this year. 

a guy to look at in the draft that I like is Blake Freeland out of byu. Has one of the higher pass grades in college this year. And at 6’8” 310 has the size and length Reid covets. And he’s from byu. 

4 hours ago, artsy said:

I believe this is the final straw for Niang.  If he can't ball out to end the season then its time to move on.  On that note though, I'm not sure he even gets a shot.  Andy is pretty loyal to his lineman.

Generally speaking,  I don't mind having a Wylie type tackle but you can only have one on the Oline.  Either the LT has to be good and the RT avg or vice versa but you can't have both playing like they did first half last night and get far in January.   Brown is capable of being an above avg LT which is what we need.  He doesn't have to be elite unless he wants to get paid like one but this team needs him to be above avg.

Sucks our biggest holes are all premium positions to fill.   RT, LT, & DE in no particular order followed closely by a #1 WR.   

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Well....that's the problem....  OBJ still wants to get paid as if he were the best LT in the league.  Even the below average LTs have a good number of plays that they either win or its a wash. OBJ just finds it impossible to do anything but lose if the talent on the other side is anything better than average...

Was listening to 4th and 1 podcast and Nick Jacobs was referring to our running scheme as putting our Olineman in unfavorable position that we are built for a gap/power scheme and thats what we did against the Bucs only to revert back to a zone scheme this game.   Paraphrasing, he said the play calls allowed the Raiders D to T off on us and gave them an advantage.  How many times did they crash down on the back side of a run to stop it for no gain because Mahomes was no threat to run.  He also stated that CEH just isn't that effective in our scheme at running and his vision isn't great.   Its why we saw such a difference when McKinnon was in.

CEH has a role but we aren't using him wisely.  Put Mahomes under center more and utilize play action.  Guarantee he would get some deep shots if they wouldn't let defenses pin their ears back.   

13 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I believe this is the final straw for Niang.  If he can't ball out to end the season then its time to move on.  On that note though, I'm not sure he even gets a shot.  Andy is pretty loyal to his lineman.

Generally speaking,  I don't mind having a Wylie type tackle but you can only have one on the Oline.  Either the LT has to be good and the RT avg or vice versa but you can't have both playing like they did first half last night and get far in January.   Brown is capable of being an above avg LT which is what we need.  He doesn't have to be elite unless he wants to get paid like one but this team needs him to be above avg.

Sucks our biggest holes are all premium positions to fill.   RT, LT, & DE in no particular order followed closely by a #1 WR.   

I'll say this much....as an optimist....  You are only as good as the people around you.  his performance most likely would have been different last nigh if he had Trey next to him.  We may be able to overcome 'meh' play at RT if it can be covered up if the price is right...

OR....   we just give up all our picks to grab a top level LT and RT in the draft and call it good....lol