Offensive line

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

I think RT moving forward next year will be Niang which showed very nice when healthy. Relying on him to remain healthy will be the question mark. 

don’t forget Kinnard who was the top lineman in the SEC last year to push Niang. I would like to see him get an opportunity at some point this year. 

a guy to look at in the draft that I like is Blake Freeland out of byu. Has one of the higher pass grades in college this year. And at 6’8” 310 has the size and length Reid covets. And he’s from byu. 

I forgot about Kinnard.  Yes on all three of those statements.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

OBJ thinks of himself as ELITE which he clearly is not Yes they'd make your Journeyman  LT look bad but not one of a Willie Roaf type ability. To protect a $500 M QB  the Chiefs need a Roaf type LT. Easier said  than done  but Star Wars There Is No Try GIF

Ahhh, to have Roaf protecting Mahomes!

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

They looked like different players in the second half. I dont know who said what, but it was blatant that they got their shit together.

Some of it was scheme.  I noticed a couple plays where the line slid left with a designed Mahomes rollout to the left, to neutralize that outside angle.  

2 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Was listening to 4th and 1 podcast and Nick Jacobs was referring to our running scheme as putting our Olineman in unfavorable position that we are built for a gap/power scheme and thats what we did against the Bucs only to revert back to a zone scheme this game.   Paraphrasing, he said the play calls allowed the Raiders D to T off on us and gave them an advantage.  How many times did they crash down on the back side of a run to stop it for no gain because Mahomes was no threat to run.  He also stated that CEH just isn't that effective in our scheme at running and his vision isn't great.   Its why we saw such a difference when McKinnon was in.

CEH has a role but we aren't using him wisely.  Put Mahomes under center more and utilize play action.  Guarantee he would get some deep shots if they wouldn't let defenses pin their ears back.   

Another talking head opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

2 hours ago, mex said:

I was cussing the OL in the 1st half, but they did much better in the 2nd half. No doubt.

they definitely improved, i noticed noah grey was chipping for the LT on several plays, also they started running to the left side a lot, which i assume slowed the pass rush. the running back seemed to help wiley most the game, i guess at halftime they made sure that wiley didn't let the rush inside him as the back was there to help on the edge. good adjustments.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Was listening to 4th and 1 podcast and Nick Jacobs was referring to our running scheme as putting our Olineman in unfavorable position that we are built for a gap/power scheme and thats what we did against the Bucs only to revert back to a zone scheme this game.   Paraphrasing, he said the play calls allowed the Raiders D to T off on us and gave them an advantage.  How many times did they crash down on the back side of a run to stop it for no gain because Mahomes was no threat to run.  He also stated that CEH just isn't that effective in our scheme at running and his vision isn't great.   Its why we saw such a difference when McKinnon was in.

CEH has a role but we aren't using him wisely.  Put Mahomes under center more and utilize play action.  Guarantee he would get some deep shots if they wouldn't let defenses pin their ears back.   

Fun fact of the day: there is no statistical correlation between how often or how well you run the ball and whether your play action game is effective.  Seems odd but true.

2 hours ago, xen said:

Fun fact of the day: there is no statistical correlation between how often or how well you run the ball and whether your play action game is effective.  Seems odd but true.

I've heard that stat before which makes it more maddening the fact we rarely utilize it.  

3 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Another talking head opinion. You know what they say about opinions.

He is pretty honest about the Chiefs.  Not saying he knows everything but I think his points are valid.  We have a large run blocking line and we don't utilize their strengths nearly enough.  Maybe that is because our running backs aren't amazing or maybe Mahomes doesn't like that sort of game plan or Reid is stubborn and wants to pass at a 75/25 clip.  Who knows but I don't think his opinion is meritless.   If you go back over Reids tenure here when he has made a concerted effort to smash mouth run or just run the ball our team plays better. 

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:
  • It is a good sign for the Chiefs that right guard Trey Smith (pectoral) was a full participant after missing the last game. That means he is trending to play on Sunday.

We need him for sure. Is it just me or do the Chiefs feel like a team that is still trying to "figure some things out"?

24 minutes ago, dhitter said:

We need him for sure. Is it just me or do the Chiefs feel like a team that is still trying to "figure some things out"?

Oh yea..That's how I feel anyways. The passing game still has kinks to work out, it still feels like they're trying to figure out the running game, we really haven't seen the defense fully healthy. 

I think once they figure things out, they will really get going...imo.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Everyone else went all in and we stepped back to load up for the future.   Crazy part is we are still one of the best in the league.   We still haven't peeked with all the new guys and young guys out.

16 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Everyone else went all in and we stepped back to load up for the future.   Crazy part is we are still one of the best in the league.   We still haven't peeked with all the new guys and young guys out.

Exactly right.  Big rework of the interior of the O-line, the secondary, the WRs, and LBs and the team will still stringing together 10-12 win seasons without missing a beat.  Can Veach fix the OT, and DE positions and add another WR for next year?  If so, he's a genius at team building. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Exactly right.  Big rework of the interior of the O-line, the secondary, the WRs, and LBs and the team will still stringing together 10-12 win seasons without missing a beat.  Can Veach fix the OT, and DE positions and add another WR for next year?  If so, he's a genius at team building. 

I expected us to be 50:50 this first half of the season because of the schedule. Although some of it is luck, we are looking better than that for sure.

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I expected us to be 50:50 this first half of the season because of the schedule. Although some of it is luck, we are looking better than that for sure.

Some of the luck was bad, such as the Jones penalty at Indy.  It was easy to see a possible 4-3 or worse record at the bye and that was without the injuries to Butker and McDuffie and the Gay suspension.  The team is a fair shape for the rest of the season no matter the outcome of the next two games. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Some of the luck was bad, such as the Jones penalty at Indy.  It was easy to see a possible 4-3 or worse record at the bye and that was without the injuries to Butker and McDuffie and the Gay suspension.  The team is a fair shape for the rest of the season no matter the outcome of the next two games. 

Yes.  In terms of those mistakes, every team makes them  We also benefited from the Raiders'decision to try to go for 2 Monday night and a few other things, like Adams and that other receiver colliding with each other.  So that's a wash. At the same time, you are right about Butker, McDuffie, and Gay. Other teams we have played have had key injuries, though. So, all you can say is that it is part of football.

14 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

With the way NFL is set up right now I think the idea of a 50:50 will always turn into 60:40 or 70:30 for those with elite QBs. I see us easily being at .500 or below this season even with a QB like Alex Smith who's way better than our QBs since Green up to Mahomes. 

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

With the way NFL is set up right now I think the idea of a 50:50 will always turn into 60:40 or 70:30 for those with elite QBs. I see us easily being at .500 or below this season even with a QB like Alex Smith who's way better than our QBs since Green up to Mahomes. 

It goes with winning the division every year, but this year's schedule is brutal.  Getting BUFF and CINN while division opponents get the Jets and Steelers is what the NFL wanted but makes it very tough to stay on top.  Throwing in TB didn't help.  But the key is winning divisional games and there the Chiefs are off to a good start.  I think the November Chargers game will decide it all.  The Chargers will blow a game or two where they should be favorites, but so will the Chiefs.  

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

It goes with winning the division every year, but this year's schedule is brutal.  Getting BUFF and CINN while division opponents get the Jets and Steelers is what the NFL wanted but makes it very tough to stay on top.  Throwing in TB didn't help.  But the key is winning divisional games and there the Chiefs are off to a good start.  I think the November Chargers game will decide it all.  The Chargers will blow a game or two where they should be favorites, but so will the Chiefs.  

Should have lost against the Browns.

Man i was pulling for them to lose that one.

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

That is one area the Bills have been throwing numbers at for a couple years now the DE position and they still had to go out and sign Von Miller.   Their Dline is super deep but DE is the one position I wouldn't mind Veach taking another swing in FA or via trade to try and fix.   I know we are hosting the draft but getting a guy like Burns from the Panthers would a huge steal.  Veach has shown that he can identify a position and fix most from the 2nd round back.  Our secondary is young but looks very promising and as long as we solidfy one OT position we can scheme around one avg one.  DE is the biggest need on this team imo.   Mahomes is showing that he can hang 40 with a group of wr that are #2 caliber and without a ton of chemistry.  He can make it work offensively.