Offensive line

Having Mahomes-Reid every year is like having one or two extra 1st round draft choices every year. It took so many decades to put a combination like that together. Whenever one or both are gone, it will take a long time once again.  Enjoy the glory years of the Chiefs franchise. Dawson-Stram was like that.

15 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Having Mahomes-Reid every year is like having one or two extra 1st round draft choices every year. It took so many decades to put a combination like that together. Whenever one or both are gone, it will take a long time once again.  Enjoy the glory years of the Chiefs franchise. Dawson-Stram was like that.

I think when Reid does leave, we will be still good to go with Mahomes. Still I hope we get another 10 plus years with these 2 together.

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I think when Reid does leave, we will be still good to go with Mahomes. Still I hope we get another 10 plus years with these 2 together.

I think  10 is a stretch with Andy's size I think health issues will get the best of him and I'd wager that is what EB is counting on so he can slide on in. I pray for 5 more years.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I think  10 is a stretch with Andy's size I think health issues will get the best of him and I'd wager that is what EB is counting on so he can slide on in. I pray for 5 more years.

What will not be replaceable is the way Andy lets his players be themselves on the field and the love his players end up feeling for him. They all feel it, even the UFA's and 7th rounders.  Those are the intangibles. His deadpan sense of humor, also.

Reid also has an uncommon knack for keeping players and his team on an even keel, playing down big victories as well as defeats.  One of the amazing qualities that can't be replaced is the way he immediately gives a player who made an error or fumble the ball again, literally on the next play, as a way of letting them redeem themselves to the fans and help them immediately regain confidence in themselves.  Other coaches simply take them out of the game and punish them by not giving them opportunities the rest of the game.  There are 10 times as many coaches who do those things than there are coaches who stick up for their players in the way he does. It pays off.  That's why the team tries to play its ass off for him. He uses carrots instead of sticks. It probably accounts for a couple more victories per season all by itself.  It is going to be a herculean task to replace a coach like that.

12 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Reid also has an uncommon knack for keeping players and his team on an even keel, playing down big victories as well as defeats.  One of the amazing qualities that can't be replaced is the way he immediately gives a player who made an error or fumble the ball again, literally on the next play, as a way of letting them redeem themselves to the fans and help them immediately regain confidence in themselves.  Other coaches simply take them out of the game and punish them by not giving them opportunities the rest of the game.  There are 10 times as many coaches who do those things than there are coaches who stick up for their players in the way he does. It pays off.  That's why the team tries to play its ass off for him. He uses carrots instead of sticks. It probably accounts for a couple more victories per season all by itself.  It is going to be a herculean task to replace a coach like that.

Reid is an EXCEPTIONAL LEADER of MEN.

The Kansas City Chiefs have created a bit more cap space for themselves at midseason with the restructuring of Travis Kelce’s contract.

The Kansas City Chiefs came into this season with very little wiggle room when it comes to the salary cap and any moves that the front office might want to make moving forward. There are options to create that room in various ways, but on the surface, the team had low financial margins. As it turns out, they created a bit more space for themselves on Tuesday with the announced restructuring of Travis Kelce’s contract.

The Chiefs have restructured the contract of All Pro TE Travis Kelce, converting base salary into a signing bonus to clear $3.455M in cap space, per source.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

and what will this $3.4M get them... A difference maker, missing piece to a SB Victory? or just a rotational guy?

Maybe the ability to keep someone who is an important piece - a punter? placekicker, long snapper? rotational lineman?  A midseason pickup to fix an injury situation? Lots of things.

• 2 weeks later...

Stock Down: Offensive Line

It's not often that something is a consensus around the NFL, but heading into 2022, the thought that the Chiefs had a top-five offensive line was one. After last year's rebuild of the line was a success, the hope was for the group to keep gelling and improving. Unfortunately, that has yet to be the case this year. The sacks allowed number is OK (12, the sixth-fewest in the NFL) but in the first seven games, that doesn't tell the whole story. The Chiefs have given up 85 pressures within 2.5 seconds of the snap, which is the fourth most. They haven't lived up to expectations and have drastically underperformed for a unit that was supposed to be dominant this season.

The decline truly begins with the play of offensive tackles Orlando Brown Jr. and Andrew Wylie. Brown and Wylie may be the worst starting tackle duo in football. They certainly are in consideration when looking at the number of pressures allowed. Brown (24) and Wylie (20) have given up a combined 44 pressures through the first seven weeks, tied for last with Miami's duo. The reason this isn't only about the tackles is that the run blocking as a whole has declined. Near the end of last year, the Chiefs efficiently ran the ball and were gashing teams on the ground. This year, the run blocking has been very hit-or-miss, causing the offense to be 15th in yards per carry compared to last year when they were eighth.https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chiefs-bye-week-stock-report-who-s-trending-up-and-down/ar-AA13rfEa?cvid=36958ad2611244b1b5bb3486d066b07e

The Kansas City Chiefs have begun the process of getting Lucas Niang back on the field as he opens his practice window heading into Week 9.

It still might be a while before fans see the return of offensive tackle Lucas Niang to the field for the Kansas City Chiefs, but the good news that came out on Wednesday was that the journey had begun after missing every game before the team’s bye in Week 8 due to injury.

43 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

The Kansas City Chiefs have begun the process of getting Lucas Niang back on the field as he opens his practice window heading into Week 9.

It still might be a while before fans see the return of offensive tackle Lucas Niang to the field for the Kansas City Chiefs, but the good news that came out on Wednesday was that the journey had begun after missing every game before the team’s bye in Week 8 due to injury.

This is good news! I'm not sure when we'll see him, but it's really good news. Protection for Pat in the pocket is like adding another above average WR.

45 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

Let’s hope Naing is ready. I don’t have much confidence in his availability for a full game let alone multiple games. Let’s see. 

Ya know, I think there is too much fear and too many premature conclusions about people who have had surgically repaired joint injuries.  Not only has the technology continually improved, but these are like bionic knees. They are often stronger than the original, even this repaired patellar tendon.  It just takes awhile for a player to gain confidence, because the residual soreness tells their brain that they have to be careful.  But the tensile stength of these repairs is easily measured.  They wouldn't activate him if it weren't safe. Same thing with ACL's.  Not sure about Achilles injuries.  Depends on a player's age.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Ya know, I think there is too much fear and too many premature conclusions about people who have had surgically repaired joint injuries.  Not only has the technology continually improved, but these are like bionic knees. They are often stronger than the original, even this repaired patellar tendon.  It just takes awhile for a player to gain confidence, because the residual soreness tells their brain that they have to be careful.  But the tensile stength of these repairs is easily measured.  They wouldn't activate him if it weren't safe. Same thing with ACL's.  Not sure about Achilles injuries.  Depends on a player's age.

KC med staff and management do a great job not rushing guys etc. 

If a player complains of a lot of pain when they do certain movements or exercizes, how the hell are the medical staff and trainers going to tell if he is exaggerating or not for some personal reasons?  When someone tells you they have a terrible headache, do you have some ability to feel if they really do or not?  Of course not.  If Eric Berry complained for a year, they had no choice in the matter. They weren't strung along or fooled.  They were obligated to act in the way they did. If Berry was stringing them along, shame on him and not on anyone else.

23 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

If a player complains of a lot of pain when they do certain movements or exercizes, how the hell are the medical staff and trainers going to tell if he is exaggerating or not for some personal reasons?  When someone tells you they have a terrible headache, do you have some ability to feel if they really do or not?  Of course not.  If Eric Berry complained for a year, they had no choice in the matter. They weren't strung along or fooled.  They were obligated to act in the way they did. If Berry was stringing them along, shame on him and not on anyone else.

Seems to me he wanted to play. Reality it did not matter what the training staff believed. If Berry was not truthful thats on him not them.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

So might that explain Toney's quick recovery once he got traded to a contender?  🙂