How Can KC Become a Dynasty over the next 5-10 years?

Thought we could revisit this CONVERSATION. With this past awesome draft the Chiefs are reloading.  I see one key to getting over the hump. Draft well and dont trade for top players that then get a huge contract. Yes thats means dont do another Brown or Clark deal. Some say Clark was worth it because of the SB Win. That may or may not be true. His contract  and play may have cost KC opportunities to win another SB.

Veach has proven he drafts well so his picks are very valuable to this team. Give VEACH more 7th rounders please.

Chiefs do need another pass rushing end and left tackle. Other than that they may already have players on the roster that will grow into bigger roles over time. Next draft I think KC has 12 picks. BINGO. 

I see DYNASTY Opportunity. To me DYNASTY is Superbowl Appearances at least every other year winning 3 more in the next 10 years.

The key is not to hang on to high priced vets too long.  Kelce and Mahomes have team friendly contracts.  Everyone else is expendable, including Chris Jones if it means cap control and draft capital.  Agree that avoiding the big name FA temptation is also key although Trent Williams at LT would look nice.  Let Nagy replace EB.  Keep the draft staff in tact.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

The key is not to hang on to high priced vets too long.  Kelce and Mahomes have team friendly contracts.  Everyone else is expendable, including Chris Jones if it means cap control and draft capital.  Agree that avoiding the big name FA temptation is also key although Trent Williams at LT would look nice.  Let Nagy replace EB.  Keep the draft staff in tact.  

Yes; I dont mind free agents. Chiefs gave Thuney big bucks. Its trading high picks for guys getting big contracts that costs cap space and future low contract possibly impact players. Veach has done well with most of his free agents.

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I would also like Nagy in place of EB. Spags is really become the GUY for this defense. Now he has some young talent to develop too.

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I think it's also useful to determine what we need to do to be a dynasty.  Win 2 more?

I think you focus on feeding Mahomes weapons and getting pass rushers on the roster.  

Yes. I hope KC can draft those receivers and weapons. Having free agent receiver turnover is disruptive based on the complexity of this offense. Shuster is likely one and gone. Plus the salaries these receivers are now getting is insane. 

I say 5 SB appearances and 3 wins in the next 10 years. 

3 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I think it's also useful to determine what we need to do to be a dynasty.  Win 2 more?

I think you focus on feeding Mahomes weapons and getting pass rushers on the roster.  

I personally think we're a dynasty now even without the rings. I mean hell, if we're not in the SB, we're in the AFCCG. Rings do validate dynasty's, but I think KC is already there. When you continously hear the media say things like, "the road to the SB for the AFC, still goes through KC", that's enough for me. But that's my IMO...

6 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Also I think the Chiefs are setting up a dynasty run with the Hill trade and this past draft. I thought/expected it started a few years ago but it looks more likely now.

2 minutes ago, artsy said:

I personally think we're a dynasty now even without the rings. I mean hell, if we're not in the SB, we're in the AFCCG. Rings do validate dynasty's, but I think KC is already there. When you continously hear the media say things like, "the road to the SB for the AFC, still goes through KC", that's enough for me. But that's my IMO...

AFC Dynasty for sure. NFL?  Steelers 4 SB wins in 6 years. Patriots run. 

14 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes; I dont mind free agents. Chiefs gave Thuney big bucks. Its trading high picks for guys getting big contracts that costs cap space and future low contract possibly impact players. Veach has done well with most of his free agents.

That's why I really liked the Hill trade.  Save big bucks, gain starters in the draft.  What's not to like.  Losing Hill's production is a small price to pay to gain, McDuffie, Moore, and several others who may be starter quality.  I can see the same sort of thing when Jones' is up for a new contract  Lose an expensive star and gain two new ones at lower cost.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

That's why I really liked the Hill trade.  Save big bucks, gain starters in the draft.  What's not to like.  Losing Hill's production is a small price to pay to gain, McDuffie, Moore, and several others who may be starter quality.  I can see the same sort of thing when Jones' is up for a new contract  Lose an expensive star and gain two new ones at lower cost.  

Good points. Thats an interesting issue with Jones. Im not sure you want Jones walking? I need to think about that. Its hard to find a guy like that unless you are in the top 5 -10 picks if then? Thats a difficult decision. Im curious what the rest of the board thinks.  

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

AFC Dynasty for sure. NFL?  Steelers 4 SB wins in 6 years. Patriots run. 

To me, dynasty means a team that is competitive for the championship over at least an eight to ten year period.  The Chiefs are four years in and seem to be reloading on the fly.  More rings would add to the legend, but four AFCCGs in a row is a short term dynasty to me.  Just have to keep it going and throw in another SB or two over the next five years.  The Len Dawson era Chiefs got old and while loyalty is a good thing in most cases, it doesn't work in professional sports.  

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Good points. Thats an interesting issue with Jones. Im not sure you want Jones walking? I need to think about that. Its hard to find a guy like that unless you are in the top 5 -10 picks if then? Thats a difficult decision. Im curious what the rest of the board thinks.  

Jones was not a first round pick.  His next contract will be very expensive and he will be aging.  Sometimes you pick a Jones, sometimes you pick a Speaks or a Sims.  Scouting and analysis are the keys and Veach has put together a good crew.  I don't know the numbers so can't say what the Chiefs should do about Jones, but I'd guess it would be better not to extend him for what he's presently worth.  

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Umm, yea. I'm with you West. I'm not sure if we should let Jones walk..unless he's trying to break bank, of course.

Our chances of getting another player like him where we ususally draft is pretty slim..I just wish we could find that stud DE to pair with him before he gets too old or leaves...

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

To me, dynasty means a team that is competitive for the championship over at least an eight to ten year period.  The Chiefs are four years in and seem to be reloading on the fly.  More rings would add to the legend, but four AFCCGs in a row is a short term dynasty to me.  Just have to keep it going and throw in another SB or two over the next five years.  The Len Dawson era Chiefs got old and while loyalty is a good thing in most cases, it doesn't work in professional sports.  

Agree. I still think AFC Dynasty at this point. SB win this year moves it into NFL Category..

Just now, AFCWEST said:

Agree. I still think AFC Dynasty at this point. SB win this year moves it into NFL Category..

Winning the SB three years ago at least got the "can't win the big one" off their backs.  Better to win that one than be in eight AFCCGs and never get the ring.  The Bills of the Levy era will never get the respect outside of Buffalo that they deserve.  

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

I think it will depend on the return KC could get with Jones.  He will be 30 at the time of his next contract and that's about the time you wanna really think about moving on.    Kelce will be 35 when that happens and probably will have slowed some so those extra draft picks would go a long way in replacing his production.   

As far as dynasty whether it be the steelers of the 70s niners of the 80s even the early 90s cowboys or the pats run they all did one thing to get that NFL label dynasty and that's when back to back.   Its not the only thing but those decade teams all at one point did do it and i feel like to get that label and be put in the same sentence gonna have to do a back to back champs.  

2 hours ago, Okiechief1 said:

I think it will depend on the return KC could get with Jones.  He will be 30 at the time of his next contract and that's about the time you wanna really think about moving on.    Kelce will be 35 when that happens and probably will have slowed some so those extra draft picks would go a long way in replacing his production.   

As far as dynasty whether it be the steelers of the 70s niners of the 80s even the early 90s cowboys or the pats run they all did one thing to get that NFL label dynasty and that's when back to back.   Its not the only thing but those decade teams all at one point did do it and i feel like to get that label and be put in the same sentence gonna have to do a back to back champs.  

Tag him for a year or two if need be.

54 minutes ago, xen said:

Weird.  Just a week ago the coaches and players all were gonna suck forever and we were only ever gonna win 1 superbowl with Pat, just like A-A-Ron & the Packers.

Now we're a dynasty again.  Sweet.

Its a conversation. A discussion. Its how to.

22 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Those 2nd tag years are pretty expensive.  

True but if in a few years we have not found players, then that will mean veach has failed. If we have found some on the cusp and need Jones for that year or two as a vet, I would be fine with it.