1 minute ago, azchief21 said:

Mahomes retired today would he be a hall of famer? Me? Absofuckinglutely.

No.  Maybe if he was killed in an accident.  But you don't retire with less yards passing than Jameis Winston and 1 Super Bowl win and make the Hall.  It is too stats oriented for that.  

11 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

No, he would be remembered much as Mark Fidrych. A quirky, one of a kind player never to be duplicated who would have been a HOF shoe-in if he had a longer career. 

Burps.....a terrible comparison. ;) Mahomes Has 2 SB Appearances one SB win SB MVP, League MVP. 4 straight AFCCG. As many or more Pro Bowls than 4 HOFers More TDs than 2 HOFers he'll catch Aikman in a week or so. 

2 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Burps.....a terrible comparison. ;) Mahomes Has 2 SB Appearances one SB win SB MVP, League MVP. 4 straight AFCCG. As many or more Pro Bowls than 4 HOFers More TDs than 2 HOFers he'll catch Aikman in a week or so. 

Yeah, you’re right. But my point is he will need a few more years. Then, he walks in on the first ballot 

10 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Mark Fidrych still isn't in the Hall of Fame?  Are you ****ing kidding me?

Now if he had won a World series, pitched in 2 World Series, lead his team to 4 consecutive ALCS, won a World Series MVP, a league MVP, had more All Star appearances than 4 HOFers and more strikeouts than 2 HOFers..... I think he would. 

I think he might be.  I don't think you can make any legitimate comparisons to other QBs for how someone started their career.  I don't think AZ is far off here.   

The Winston comparison is laughable.  Pat blows him out of the water in every single stat.  Or advanced metrics.  Or just watching the games.  At one point, Winston threw the most yards prior to age 26 of any QB.  Then Pat said "hold my beer, dipshit".

10 hours ago, xen said:

The Winston comparison is laughable. 

I wasn't comparing them.  Just pointing out that this is where Pat is at in his career.  He's gonna have to pass Jake Delhomme and Winston and a few other people to be a have a hall of fame resume.  He certainly will.  But if he retired now his case is weak no matter how brilliant his career has been thus far.  

24 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I would make a comparison to Terrell Davis. Short career but dominant for a chunk of it. Two rings. TD played what 8 seasons? Pat would need a couple more years and 1 more SB to be certain he made it. I would think.

Gayle Sayers would be a good comparison as.   Stats and team accomplishments seem to be the deciding factor vs when Sayers went in.  

I gotta say no.  I personally just believe that unless the player dies or something, that their body of work needs to be 7-8 seasons as a productive player(i.e, they need to play in a majority of the games that season.  Maybe have something like a 100 game minimum or something....

That said...  I can see some exceptions, but it would have to be pretty extreme.  

Example:  If the Dee Ford would have stayed onsides, and the chiefs would have won the superbowl in Pats first season as a starter and would have gotten himself a 2nd MVP during his four full seasons...  I may think differently...  but again, that's pretty extreme

1 minute ago, Okiechief1 said:

Gayle Sayers would be a good comparison as.   Stats and team accomplishments seem to be the deciding factor vs when Sayers went in.  

I was just going to say this but got diverted GS's 5 healthy years were dominate. That being said with all the inductees since I think the bar has been set higher  and without longevity   the odds are stacked against him

23 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I would make a comparison to Terrell Davis. Short career but dominant for a chunk of it. Two rings. TD played what 8 seasons? Pat would need a couple more years and 1 more SB to be certain he made it. I would think.

That's probably fair.  I think you see more of that in running backs due to the shorter shelf life.  Gale Sayers is another example. And to a lesser extent Barry Sanders and Jim Brown.  I can't really think of a QB with a short but dominant career that made it.  

Mahomes will have 68 games on Monday. Sayers had 68 games total. Yes RBs have shorter careers than QBs but the average HOF RB has 151 games played. And Sayers made it. Because he's a HOF RB. Not because he had years or stats. To Reese's point, Latavius Murray has more yards than Sayers. Mahomes is the best QB in his era, has been for 5 years. Some would say he's revolutionized the game. He does things NO other QB can do, in or out of the HOF. You're either a HOFer or not. Don't need X amount more years to be one. 

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Mahomes will have 68 games on Monday. Sayers had 68 games total. Yes RBs have shorter careers than QBs but the average HOF RB has 151 games played. And Sayers made it. Because he's a HOF RB. Not because he had years or stats. To Reese's point, Latavius Murray has more yards than Sayers. Mahomes is the best QB in his era, has been for 5 years. Some would say he's revolutionized the game. He does things NO other QB can do, in or out of the HOF. You're either a HOFer or not. Don't need X amount more years to be one. 

I think too much comparison in regards to Sayers is misguided as they are generations apart and it would seem the bar has been raised.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

That's probably fair.  I think you see more of that in running backs due to the shorter shelf life.  Gale Sayers is another example. And to a lesser extent Barry Sanders and Jim Brown.  I can't really think of a QB with a short but dominant career that made it.  

Kurt Warner might fall into that category.  10 years in the NFL but really only 3 maybe 4 really good years.  Rest were either injuries or below avg years.  

14 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I think too much comparison in regards to Sayers is misguided as they are generations apart and it would seem the bar has been raised.

Agreed about the generations apart.  We will see if the bar really has been raised in 2025 when Eli Manning will be eligible.   Personally i don't think he is a HOF caliber QB but thanks to his last name Spags D shutting down Brady and that offense in 2007 and not a strong HOF class i think he will get in.  

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That's why I mentioned best in his era. Are you saying that if Sayers had the same impact now as he did then, meaning he was as dominant against current talent as he was back then, he wouldn't be inducted because only 68 games?