Hardman article for your consideration

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/10/05/mecole-hardman-contract-year-not-going-well-chiefs/?fbclid=IwAR02SLCRlqisIXhto3DbPCO2IEK3PgplIInNUOWH1x1Io1M9xkihMXm_fRI

Mecole Hardman’s contract year isn’t going well (so far)

Mecole Hardman is in the final year of his contract with the KC Chiefs and his season isn’t going well. What are his stats compared to previous years?

After the trade of Tyreek Hill, the Kansas City Chiefs had many questions regarding the wide receiver position. They brought in players, like JuJu Smith-Schuster, Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Skyy Moore, and Justin Watson, but many thought Mecole Hardman would be a player to take a step forward on the Chiefs this season. Unfortunately, so far, that hasn’t been the case.

So far this season, Hardman has 8 catches for 71 yards and a touchdown on 12 targets. That’s a 17-game pace of 34 receptions, 302 yards, and four touchdowns. He has also averaged 0.78 yards per route run, 76th among all wide receivers with at least 13 targets this season, according to Pro Football Focus ($). Not an ideal first month of the season.

For reference, here are his stats through four games in his first three seasons:

• 2021: 13 catches, 123 yards, and 1 touchdown. 1.09 yards per route run.
  • 2020: 11 catches, 144 yards, and 2 touchdowns. 1.69 yards per route run.
  • 2019: 8 catches, 167 yards, and 2 touchdowns. 1.40 yards per route run.
  • Average: 10.7 catches, 144.7 yards, and 1.7 touchdowns. 1.37 yards per route run.

Every single major statistical category over the first four games of the season is down from his first three years. Yes, a lot of that can be attributed to a nagging heel injury suffered earlier in the season, but he’s been healthy enough to dress for every game and see playing time.

Patrick Mahomes missed Hardman running wide open to the end zone on a first-down play in the middle of the third quarter, but never looked his way, and instead threw an incomplete pass to Justin Watson. That’s 100% on Mahomes, although it could be a sign of a larger problem in that Mahomes has little trust in Hardman. That’s a concern because Hardman is in his fourth year with Mahomes and that should not be an issue this deep into his career. It could also signal that Hardman’s production may not quite return to the level it was at in previous years.

One of the main reasons that his rough start to the season is significant is because he is scheduled to be a free agent next March. Many fans assumed that Hardman would take a small step forward this season, in addition to the loss of Tyreek Hill, because he would be playing for a heavy contract in several months. The contract year has not been enough for a production boost from Hardman.

Hardman’s a talented player and did a fantastic job stepping up when Hill went down for multiple games early in 2019, but Chiefs fans may have to face the reality that this could be his last season in Kansas City.

Spotrac projects that Hardman’s next contract will be around 4-years, $33.7 million for an average of about $8.4 million a season. In my opinion, Hardman isn’t worth that contract, but Spotrac listed Marquez Valdes-Scantling as a comparable and he got 3 years, $30 million from the Chiefs. Granted, MVS’ contract is fairly flexible after the first year. The Chiefs should probably look for a more cost-controlled solution at the wide receiver position instead of handing out a second contract, which includes a considerable raise, to a player who’s never hit 700 receiving yards in a single regular season—even though he has yet to miss one such game.

Hardman is having the worst start to a season that he’s ever had in the NFL, which is a shame because he is slated to sign a new contract in the off-season. The heel injury deserves some of the blame but he’s never been a nuanced route runner and has pretty much been a speed-only receiver in the NFL.

Due to the potential rise of Skyy Moore and barring an injury, I’m not convinced that Hardman will see a huge share of the targets for the remainder of the season. He has a role on a Super Bowl-contending team but that role cannot be a major part of the offense. Hopefully his production skyrockets throughout the remaining regular season games but this is likely Hardman’s last season in Kansas City.

The guy is playing hurt. Yes its a contract year. Maybe he doesnt get the big bucks. OK. He could stay on a low contract. I never get the Hardman hate. Its not like he is earning huge dollars. He is a good role player and punt returner. Its not his fault Hill was an ass and KC drafted him out of huge need. I like Hardman and expect hill will get some big plays down the stretch. Its not like MVS is lighting it up. 

Another Article for Your Consideration 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/10/7/23391978/chiefs-raiders-wr-mecole-hardman-not-worried-about-heel-injury-lingering 

8 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Mahomes won't even give Hardman a courtesy look on the field. Was wide open on a straight diagonal route to the endzone last game.. 

He's done. To me, he never improved throughout his tenure. That's all on him 

Maybe PM did not see him? I know hard to believe PM could make a mistake. 

22 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

The guy is playing hurt. Yes its a contract year. Maybe he doesnt get the big bucks. OK. He could stay on a low contract. I never get the Hardman hate. Its not like he is earning huge dollars. He is a good role player and punt returner. Its not his fault Hill was an ass and KC drafted him out of huge need. I like Hardman and expect hill will get some big plays down the stretch. Its not like MVS is lighting it up. 

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/10/7/23391978/chiefs-raiders-wr-mecole-hardman-not-worried-about-heel-injury-lingering 

He's too weak, unfortunately. Never had the aggressiveness to succeed as an NFL receiver, from what I've seen - never improved. 

Sure he'll make some plays down the stretch but at the same time, I think Watson and Moore should get their opportunity if Hardman cannot get past the first level. 

Hardman will likely need to go for a prove-it deal after this season. Definitely won't be in KC but needs to step up his game to get anything more than the vet minimum. Not sure what Spotrac is basing that prediction on but Hardman should be more than happy even with a third of it.

6 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

He's too weak, unfortunately. Never had the aggressiveness to succeed as an NFL receiver, from what I've seen - never improved. 

Sure he'll make some plays down the stretch but at the same time, I think Watson and Moore should get their opportunity if Hardman cannot get past the first level. 

First of all he has success. He is in the NFL. Its nice to have a guy willing to play a role and not screaming about targets and other BS. Teams need good role players. He also has made a lot of big plays. Remember the kick return that got KC back into that Houston playoff game. Every defense must account for his speed. So even as a decoy he is valuable. 693 receiving yards last year is good. He is not the GUY. He does ad value. Lets see what happens when he is 100%. ill take 693 again. Those stats dont include his sweeps and special teams stats.

Year
Team
REC
YDS
AVG
LNG
TD
ATT
YDS
AVG

Career

17 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I don’t know. We have watched him for a few years and I think we know what he is and what he isn’t. He isn’t a 1 or 2 WR. 3 maybe with some returning and end-around skills.  Not mad at him, but not dropping more than 1.5 per on him either.

Yup, I agree. But i betcha some other team will offer him around 5-7 mill a year because, well Just because. 

I won't miss him tho...

18 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yup, I agree. But i betcha some other team will offer him around 5-7 mill a year because, well Just because. 

I won't miss him tho...

So the Chiefs get a mid round compensatory pick for him.  They have plenty of #3/#4 guys and don't need to pay second contract rates for another.  If he lights it up for the rest of the season, the Chiefs still don't have a #1.  

I always assumed this would be his last season here.

either he would continue to be meh and be not worth bringing back, or he would ball out and command a contract we all know he isn’t worth.

the only way he comes back is on a 1 year minimum deal a la demarcus robinson, and I think mecole will get more than that somewhere else based solely on potential 

Hardman is just this eras DAT or McCluster. Gadget player who for every good play has 5 stupid to mediocre plays. I’d totally forgive his WR production if he wasn’t doing stupid things in the return game every year. He wouldn’t be here if Tyreek wasn’t potentially going to NFL or real jail.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, AFCWEST said:

I agree with you, but surprised you feel that way. I think part of the criticism is because the Chiefs could have selected DK Metcalf.

7 minutes ago, qnet said:

I agree with you, but surprised you feel that way. I think part of the criticism is because the Chiefs could have selected DK Metcalf.

Still. Has nothing to do with the player. Has been injured and still some big plays Monday Night. Low salary and unlikely to get a big contract next year. That PFF BS . So for this season he is a good role player. SHUSTER has been almost a ghost.

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Be interesting to see if the chiefs make a move on a WR or a DE mid season. None of our receivers are bad per say, but also none scare any team. 

seems that the Panthers are offering everyone even McCaffery but rumored  him going to the Bills 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

seems that the Panthers are offering everyone even McCaffery but rumored  him going to the Bills 

Most likely not happening, but McCaffery would be cool & interesting. Imagine him helping the Chiefs win a SB after his dad tormenting us on those later 90's Bronco teams.

On 10/12/2022 at 10:20 PM, qnet said:

Most likely not happening, but McCaffery would be cool & interesting. Imagine him helping the Chiefs win a SB after his dad tormenting us on those later 90's Bronco teams.

Not sure how his contract is set up but do we even have enough cash for vet minimum at this point? 

17 minutes ago, Balto said:

Would rather have DJ Moore from the Panthers and he would actually fit into our current cap without adjusting anything.  Probably cost a 1st though

#1  is probably what it'd take and probably more. IIRC he just signed a new deal as well making his cap hit impossible to manage

51 minutes ago, Balto said:

Would rather have DJ Moore from the Panthers and he would actually fit into our current cap without adjusting anything.  Probably cost a 1st though

Agreed. We need WR's so bad. If it was up to me I would give up a 2nd for Moore right now. I just do not feel the WR core we have can take us where we want to go. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

#1  is probably what it'd take and probably more. IIRC he just signed a new deal as well making his cap hit impossible to manage

Agree.  We aren't even half way through the season.  The chemistry isn't there yet with who we have.  DE is by far a more pressing need for this team.  If we could add Burns with that 1st this D could take a huge step forward and our O which is already putting up close to 30 pts per game won't have to be so potent.  

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Agree.  We aren't even half way through the season.  The chemistry isn't there yet with who we have.  DE is by far a more pressing need for this team.  If we could add Burns with that 1st this D could take a huge step forward and our O which is already putting up close to 30 pts per game won't have to be so potent.  

for your reading enjoyment but  with acap hit of $4.3 Mil  this and $16 Mil next...man o manhttps://overthecap.com/player/brian-burns/7807

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/3-teams-that-must-trade-for-panthers-brian-burns-after-matt-rhule-s-firing/ar-AA12RbYX

3. Kansas City Chiefs

The Kansas City Chiefs are on their way to another solid season. Through the first five weeks, they have a record of 4-1. They are also atop the AFC West.

Much of the success that the Chiefs have found this season is rooted in their offense. They are currently averaging 31.8 points per game.

The Chiefs defense has not found the same success. They are allowing 25 points per game. This unit could need a massive addition to make them elite. Burns could be the perfect candidate.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:24 AM, AFCWEST said:

Still. Has nothing to do with the player. Has been injured and still some big plays Monday Night. Low salary and unlikely to get a big contract next year. That PFF BS . So for this season he is a good role player. SHUSTER has been almost a ghost.

I'm kinda lost here... . catches:  22/12 in favor of Juju.  yds:  257/144 in favor of juju. 

Juju has the most catches outside kelce and is one yard behind MVS in terms of most yds.

That's not a ghost.  And unlike Hardman, he hasn't had 3 years to gel with Mahomes.

Lastly, Juju has been playing with a hamstring injury.  You can't prop up Hardman for playing hurt, but call Juju out when he's also playing hurt.

Here's the problem with Hardman....  dude has all the tools to be great....but my god, he has the absolute worst ball tracking skills i've ever seen.  There's no point in having all that speed to take the top off if you screw yourself everytime the ball is thrown deep to you and you can't find it...