Chiefs Secondary

I know this group is young. I think they are getting better despite the stats and some big plays. Teams know they need to put up points so they are going for it. Fenton has been a reliable guy in the past. Putting him on a guy like Adams is asking a lot of any corner. Not sure there was another answer and it seems like some adjustments were made in the second half. I like Fenton as a #2 guy or rotational piece. 

How is Reid doing? I dont hear much about him.

Is this group better than last years?

Is the lack of a pass rush the bigger issue?

7 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I know this group is young. I think they are getting better despite the stats and some big plays. Teams know they need to put up points so they are going for it. Fenton has been a reliable guy in the past. Putting him on a guy like Adams is asking a lot of any corner. Not sure there was another answer and it seems like some adjustments were made in the second half. I like Fenton as a #2 guy or rotational piece. 

I like this group. Teams are going after them. Evans last week and Adam’s this week. We play press man and so we will win some and lose some. It’s the pass rush that we need to find a way to get better so these deep shots on our corners are less of a issue. Plus mcduffie should be back soon. 

Just now, Holmes4six! said:

I like this group. Teams are going after them. Evans last week and Adam’s this week. We play press man and so we will win some and lose some. It’s the pass rush that we need to find a way to get better so these deep shots on our corners are less of a issue. Plus mcduffie should be back soon. 

Hope MickeyD is ready to roll this week. Next 2 games are tough. SF has a crazy good pass rush & overall D.  We need some turnovers.

Sneed, McDuffie, Watson, and Williams are the future.  Fenton is a slightly above avg guy who got put in the spin cycle so many times by Adams last night.  While Watson and Fenton both got flagged for PI, Watson just needs to turn his head and that is perfect coverage.  Even the ball Cook got burned on he recovered and was right there.   We all knew there were going to be plays like this but outside of Fenton our young guys were fighting and in good positions a lot of the time.  That is promising.  

Before the draft, I posted that Fenton should be replaced or at least not counted on to be a starting CB.  Took a lot of flack for that.  Fenton is a hard hitter that just doesn't have the skills or speed to cover top receivers.  His best play was his first year when he was used more as a safety.  IMHO, he's not even average as a cover corner.  Not slamming the guy, he plays hard.  But he doesn't have the tools to win against the best.  Watson was schooled by Adams on the big play.  He didn't turn his head on the underthrown pass and Adams actually pulled him into himself.  Common technique and it works with inexperienced CB and passes thrown short.  Watson can learn.  Fenton probably can't.  Ryan Tracy has suggested that Fenton be used as a strong safety when McDuffie comes back.  Makes sense to me.  

2 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Fenton is regressing fast. 

I don't think so. He is not yet back up to speed, was playing against much bigger and quicker receivers, was on an island with them, and he is merely a little above average.  In a complete secondary, he is a good piece as a depth slot corner. This group has great potential but won't really show what it can do until 2023.  I am getting more impressed with Watson every game I see him.

20 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Anyone have a take on Reid so far?

Apparently, he is a fine mentor and coordinator out there.  He makes no mistakes, so we don't hear about him much.  We really didn't hear much about Mathieu, either.  He was playing the same role.  Covering teammates asses and mentoring them.  Good if someone slips past the linebackers on runs.  That's what it seems like to me. Obviously, he is no threat to blitz. Value is much higher to the team than his visibility.

This group is way better than last year, hopefully McDuffy returns and can be successful on the Davante Adams's of the world, leaving Fenton as a rotational guy. Sneed is god tier, and Reid is an upgrade from Matheiu. Thornhill is slightly under performing my expectations, but he hasn't been bad either, just below average.

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

So Spaggs is an idiot? 

Is leaving rookie CBs working one on one with davante Adams a smart move?  Is putting davante Adams up against a regressing Fenton one on one a smart move?  Is getting torched the first half and not making and adjustments to the secondary a smart move?  

spaggs doesn’t have it…. 

5 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Is this group better than last years?

Is the lack of a pass rush the bigger issue?

To me Fenton is inconsistent. He has good games and has had bad games. Last night was a bad one.

50 minutes ago, Calichief said:

He fixed it about half way 

He was initially sacrificing secondary strength to devote more to stopping Jacobs.  He had to change it up, and he did once he found that it was not the right plan. Nothing was being stopped. That's how I see it. It was a strategic idea that didn't work. No more complicated than that.

Someone posted this.  It is not my idea, but I agree with it.  The difference between the Chiefs and the Raiders is that one team blew a 17 point lead to lose the game.  The other team overcame a 17 point deficit to win the game.  Though there was only a 1 point difference, the actual difference between the teams was evident in that reality. The Chiefs are superior. The best teams overcome deficits.  The lesser teams blow leads.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

He was initially sacrificing secondary strength to devote more to stopping Jacobs.  He had to change it up, and he did once he found that it was not the right plan. Nothing was being stopped. That's how I see it. It was a strategic idea that didn't work. No more complicated than that.

Na, what I’m noting is - he slid Snead over to cover him. He finally took Fenton and Watson off.