Chiefs Secondary

11 hours ago, Calichief said:

He fixed it about half way 

it was never fixed....some bad play calling by the raiders offense and drops combined with long chiefs drives minimized it visually.  I guess you forgot that they scored 1/3 of their points in the 4th quarter and carr shredded us and our secondary.  On that last play....  Adams and Renfrow had both easily beaten their guys.  Had they not collided, that was ballgame with the Raiders winning...

IMO, Fenton has never been that good. His hips are "okay" but his instincts aren't the best. And HE NEVER TURNS HIS AROUND, and opposing QBs know it. Fenton is avg/above avg in zone, but sucks in man to man. 

I hope he hasn't been assigned to Mentor the young guys, cause the guy has some bad technique/habits. Nonetheless, he's on the roster and all we have at this time so we're gonna have to deal with him, I guess.

12 minutes ago, artsy said:

IMO, Fenton has never been that good. His hips are "okay" but his instincts aren't the best. And HE NEVER TURNS HIS AROUND, and opposing QBs know it. Fenton is avg/above avg in zone, but sucks in man to man. 

I hope he hasn't been assigned to Mentor the young guys, cause the guy has some bad technique/habits. Nonetheless, he's on the roster and all we have at this time so we're gonna have to deal with him, I guess.

Not accurate. His ratings, for what thats worth, have been decent. He is not a #1 guy but is a decent #3 in that rotation.

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Not accurate. His ratings, for what thats worth, have been decent. He is not a #1 guy but is a decent #3 in that rotation.

Perhaps PFF has him rated fairly high. However, I use the "eye" test and the dude sucks. When he's facing the qb, he's fine.

However, Man to man...?? It's a PI or big catch. Period. 

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

it was never fixed....some bad play calling by the raiders offense and drops combined with long chiefs drives minimized it visually.  I guess you forgot that they scored 1/3 of their points in the 4th quarter and carr shredded us and our secondary.  On that last play....  Adams and Renfrow had both easily beaten their guys.  Had they not collided, that was ballgame with the Raiders winning...

That was good coverage on the td. Both guys were right there. Those youngsters will learn to turn their heads.

what I will say is, Snead should have been on him from the get go 

17 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I don't think so. He is not yet back up to speed, was playing against much bigger and quicker receivers, was on an island with them, and he is merely a little above average.  In a complete secondary, he is a good piece as a depth slot corner. This group has great potential but won't really show what it can do until 2023.  I am getting more impressed with Watson every game I see him.

MOst teams have a bigger/quicker receiver these days.  Williams at LAC, Adams with LV, Evans at TB, and that's just the teams the Chiefs have already faced.  Not many rest days for a CB of Fenton's talents. 

26 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

And… what people are forgetting is Fenton is at his best in the slot. He is a slot guy. His best moments and best ratings are in the slot 

Just now, Calichief said:

And… what people are forgetting is Fenton is at his best in the slot. He is a slot guy. His best moments and best ratings are in the slot 

Agree, but the Chiefs seem to play Fenton on the outside and Sneed covering the slot in the nickel more often than not. 

On 10/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, artsy said:

I felt that fenton was a decent slot corner at one time, the problem is sneed may be the best slot corner in the league so its hard to play fenton in there

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I felt that fenton was a decent slot corner at one time, the problem is sneed may be the best slot corner in the league so its hard to play fenton in there

Depth. I think when McDuffie gets back and is as good as we think, Fenton will be seen from very little or until there is an injury or exhaustion in an overtime game.

37 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Depth. I think when McDuffie gets back and is as good as we think, Fenton will be seen from very little or until there is an injury or exhaustion in an overtime game.

Hope you're right.  Spags likes his vets a little too much for my taste.  

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Hope you're right.  Spags likes his vets a little too much for my taste.  

In a complex defensive scheme, that is understandable.  Especially early in the season.  I would love to still have Charvarius Ward, but we also are good with minding the cap and drafting guys, so as the Rolling Stones said, "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

In a complex defensive scheme, that is understandable.  Especially early in the season.  I would love to still have Charvarius Ward, but we also are good with minding the cap and drafting guys, so as the Rolling Stones said, "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Ward, like Fenton, is limited.  Great value for his draft position (or lack of it), but never the shutdown corner that we hope McDuffie can be.  Williams and Watson have upside that Ward could only dream about.  I still get nightmares of Ward trying to cover Chase in the Cinn games. 

9 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Ward, like Fenton, is limited.  Great value for his draft position (or lack of it), but never the shutdown corner that we hope McDuffie can be.  Williams and Watson have upside that Ward could only dream about.  I still get nightmares of Ward trying to cover Chase in the Cinn games. 

Ward is playing like a shutdown corner in SF.  Chase should be doubled. 

7 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Ward is getting the benefit of ELITE PASS rush. He doesn’t have to cover long.

I love ward. so don’t take that the wrong way. 

10 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

The team and the scheme helps a lot in that regard. The defense has been a work-in-progress in KC for quite a while and I don't expect that status to change this year either. Once there's a solid skeleton in place this defense will produce some stars 

14 hours ago, jetlord said:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/49ers/article/49ers-game-review-Signing-Charvarius-Ward-paying-17502430.php

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/why-charvarius-ward-proving-be-worth-49ers-high-price-tag

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/162106-kyle-shanahan-49ers-swung-hit-charvarius-ward/

Few articles about Ward of late. They are ecstatic with him in SF. 

On 10/13/2022 at 2:30 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

But if you try sometime you'll find you get what you need.