I need some feedback!

I am so pumped. Lifelong Chiefs fan who grew up in Kansas. I am going to be at Arrowhead for the first time in my life this Sunday for what could be the game of the year. Best part is my two sons (also diehard Chiefs fans) will be with me. 

We want to eat some barbeque while we are in KC. Where do you recommend we do that? Also a place to get Chiefs merch? Any help is appreciated.

Just now, WichitaZRide said:

Damn…. You are about to blow this place up…

Joes KC and Q39 are my go-to places when I go to KC. Please note Joes is closed on Sunday.

as for merch…. It’s EVERYWHERE!  

We'll be eating on Saturday. Thanks.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

I am so pumped. Lifelong Chiefs fan who grew up in Kansas. I am going to be at Arrowhead for the first time in my life this Sunday for what could be the game of the year. Best part is my two sons (also diehard Chiefs fans) will be with me. 

We want to eat some barbeque while we are in KC. Where do you recommend we do that? Also a place to get Chiefs merch? Any help is appreciated.

Where are you staying and how long will you be in KC area?  How old are your sons?   Both Joes and Q39 are on the Kansas side or near the state line.  Not a problem if time and transportation aren't an issue.  I'd put Jacks Stack on the same level and they have more scattered locations.  If you're planning Sat. night, better have reservations or prepare for a wait.  Enjoy the Arrowhead experience.  

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

Where are you staying and how long will you be in KC area?  How old are your sons?   Both Joes and Q39 are on the Kansas side or near the state line.  Not a problem if time and transportation aren't an issue.  I'd put Jacks Stack on the same level and they have more scattered locations.  If you're planning Sat. night, better have reservations or prepare for a wait.  Enjoy the Arrowhead experience.  

Jet ....will be staying with family in Spring Hill, KS. Just the weekend....Sat. and Sun. Saturday is pretty open so willing to drive wherever I need. My sons are 29 and 23. There's a daughter in between them but she wasn't invited 😝. Really excited for this weekend.

best BBQ? That's almost  like Ford ,Chevy or Dodge question altho  I will agree with Joes but none is bad. I'd steer away from Gates tho. The wife was in town recently going to a Royals game and the Gates on 40hwy ( near the stadiums) was woefully understaffed. Jack Stack certainly is the most convenient as Jet mentioned has several locations and one right behind the train Station downtown. I have yet to have Q39 but a guy whom I opinion I respect called it "Gourmet BBQ" not too sure I like the sound of that. You really can not go wrong with  any BBQ Rosedale's on the BLVD is an old time Fav of mine as is Haywards ( probably out of the way) JUST DONT GO TO ARTUR BRYANTS wayyyyyyy overrated.

Cant help on the Fan gear but there is a shop in the stadium..yea probably awfully pricey

there is this place with a big time sale going on might look her and hope it gets to you in time or have it delivered to where your going https://www.fanatics.com/kansas-city-chiefs/o-2472+t-70269247+z-91896-3559609134?_s=gppc&utm_campaign=NFL - Kansas City

Have great time I hope the Chiefs show up for you.  Arrowhead is a must do for every Chiefs fan at least once.

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I have yet to have Q39 but a guy whom I opinion I respect called it "Gourmet BBQ" not too sure I like the sound of that.

The only thing about Q9 that is gourmet is the atmosphere....which is pretty fancy for a BBQ place.  The food is honestly the same as any bbq place....but they plate it prettier.  If anything were to be considered "gourmet", it would be the sides, not the meat.  But let me tell you....  its all incredible.....

You won't be disappointed, I promise...

My experience with Joes is that the original (gas station) is the better location.  Same with Q39.  The one near state line on 39th is better.  We were a little disappointed at the other one although it might have been the service more than the food.  We go to Jacks most often because one is close and we like the sides.  A few spoons of their spicy sauce dumped into a side of beans is perfect.  Since you'll be in Spring Hill, location isn't important so any of those mentioned should be good for you.  Bon Appetit. .

2 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

The only thing about Q9 that is gourmet is the atmosphere....which is pretty fancy for a BBQ place.  The food is honestly the same as any bbq place....but they plate it prettier.  If anything were to be considered "gourmet", it would be the sides, not the meat.  But let me tell you....  its all incredible.....

You won't be disappointed, I promise...

Yeah cause most of the bbq places also sell smoked pork bahn mi and smoked beef brisket poutine.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah cause most of the bbq places also sell smoked pork bahn mi and smoked beef brisket poutine.

you do realize that bahn mi is a ghetto asian sandwich and poutine is canadian ballpark food, right?

Just because its not served in this country doesn't make it gourmet...

3 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

you do realize that bahn mi is a ghetto asian sandwich and poutine is canadian ballpark food, right?

Just because its not served in this country doesn't make it gourmet...

You do realize I didn't say it was gourmet in my response and I literally bolded the part I was responding to.  Also bahn mi and poutine are both delicious.

"The food is honestly the same as any bbq place....but they plate it prettier."

12 minutes ago, xen said:

You do realize I didn't say it was gourmet in my response and I literally bolded the part I was responding to.  Also bahn mi and poutine are both delicious.

"The food is honestly the same as any bbq place....but they plate it prettier."

Bahn Mi is literally the bread.  Its literally a smoked pork sandwich with a different bun....   do they serve smoked pork sandwiches at bbq places?

Poutine is essentially cheese fries.  Do they sell loaded cheese fries with brisket at bbq places? - and there are two bbq places where i live that i know that serve this as well...and they are definitely not any different than your average run of the mill BBQ joint....just sayin

***edit***  i guess just one place now serves bbq poutine fries locally.  didn't realize one of them closed recently

4 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Bahn Mi is literally the bread.  Its literally a smoked pork sandwich with a different bun....   do they serve smoked pork sandwiches at bbq places?

Poutine is essentially cheese fries.  Do they sell loaded cheese fries with brisket at bbq places? - and there are two bbq places where i live that i know that serve this as well...and they are definitely not any different than your average run of the mill BBQ joint....just sayin

***edit***  i guess just one place now serves bbq poutine fries locally.  didn't realize one of them closed recently

Believe what you want.  You're wrong though.

I gotta say to call banh mi pork on bread and poutine cheese fries makes me think you either eat at a lot of shitty places or you don't know shit about food.  Either way that opinion seems to have a lot of shit in it.  You gotta be that guy who goes to Nobu and tries to order chicken nuggets.

My pallet is not sophisticated. I would love to try them all...but alas I will have to choose one. Seems like so far Q39 has the most mentions. We have a lot of barbeque in Tennessee. Looking forward to tasting the difference.

10 hours ago, dhitter said:

My pallet is not sophisticated. I would love to try them all...but alas I will have to choose one. Seems like so far Q39 has the most mentions. We have a lot of barbeque in Tennessee. Looking forward to tasting the difference.

the only BBQ I have had in Tennessee was in Memphis at the Rendezvous? This was near 20 years ago now, unimpressive. My Brother, a friend of ours who Played O-Line for Notre Dame  6'-6" 300#s & I went in there. We boldly told them  we where from KC so they brought out the head cook, we said some pleasantries and issued the challenge.  Sides in Dixie cups? are you fuking kidding?  to 3 guys combining for every bit of 750#'s? The Ribs were all Rub no sauce and the sauce on the table was nothing to brag on. I wouldn't go back if you bought me the meal. I mean after all this time I remember how MEH it was.

That being said I'm sure in some smoky BBQ joint there is some fine BBQ to be had somewhere.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

the only BBQ I have had in Tennessee was in Memphis at the Rendezvous? This was near 20 years ago now, unimpressive. My Brother, a friend of ours who Played O-Line for Notre Dame  6'-6" 300#s & I went in there. We boldly told them  we where from KC so they brought out the head cook, we said some pleasantries and issued the challenge.  Sides in Dixie cups? are you fuking kidding?  to 3 guys combining for every bit of 750#'s? The Ribs were all Rub no sauce and the sauce on the table was nothing to brag on. I wouldn't go back if you bought me the meal. I mean after all this time I remember how MEH it was.

That being said I'm sure in some smoky BBQ joint there is some fine BBQ to be had somewhere.

I have tried several BBQ places in Memphis it wasn't good enough to remember the names. Have tried some texas BBQ and it wasn't bad just not KC bbq. Maybe biased but memphis bbq is like ass on a plate. just my 2 cents.

34 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I have tried several BBQ places in Memphis it wasn't good enough to remember the names. Have tried some texas BBQ and it wasn't bad just not KC bbq. Maybe biased but memphis bbq is like ass on a plate. just my 2 cents.

I dont mind Texas BBQ, 2nd best to KC IMO. Texas BBQ revolves around smoke, rub & brisket which is a cut I have yet to master..granted I have not tried that many times. add KC  BBQ sauce to it and it's great. 

31 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I dont mind Texas BBQ, 2nd best to KC IMO. Texas BBQ revolves around smoke, rub & brisket which is a cut I have yet to master..granted I have not tried that many times. add KC  BBQ sauce to it and it's great. 

All the texas BBQ I tried was spicy. Some had more kick than others but all in all the difference from KC and texas is the kick. Give me KC BBQ any day. And now that I am in Alabama I miss it even more. To the people said southern cookin is amazing-- please punch yourself in the face. I miss midwest food so bad. They just can't cook down here. Everything is so overcooked and no flavor hardly. Other than the seafood its amazing. So to summarize right about now I would do some pretty sketchy shit for some midwest food yet alone KC BBQ.