Chiefs/Bills

5 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Last year against Buff for me qualifies.   Down 31 to 13 going into the 4th and i never really felt like they were going to make a run and try and get back into it.  KC had no answer for their offense from the start of that game. 

I was going to say the same thing. Bills went in prevention mode to keep all in front of them when up to 13 and crusied from there.

The thing about KC is that they are certainly capable of beating Buffalo. And they are capable of getting owned by the Bills. They can't afford to get behind early like with Vegas. Buffalo ain't the Raiders. They will want to pour it on and rub KC's face in it. So the tempo has to be set early. Otherwise it will be "on to San Fran."😕

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I was going to say the same thing. Bills went in prevention mode to keep all in front of them when up to 13 and crusied from there.

That was also before we really developed our short game.  Should be interesting for sure.  Nice measuring stick game

Stats

I won’t spend a ton of time on stats for this, but a select few might paint a picture. Let’s toss some out and see if we can make some sense of them.

• Kansas City has 13 sacks and 36 quarterback hits, which rate eighth and sixth in the league, respectively. But...
  • They’ve faced 205 passing attempts, second-most in the league.
  • I’m not suggesting they’re terrible; with a 6.34% sack rate, it’s good for 16th in the league which is average.
  • Kansas City is allowing a 69.3% completion rate, ranking third-worst in the league.
  • They have the eighth-best yards per attempt measure at 6.23 yards allowed per attempt.
  • Kansas City has the tenth-highest blitz rate at 29.1%.

What does this all mean? They’re fine at getting to the quarterback, but nothing special. They allow a lot of completions, but teams have struggled to stretch the field against them in aggregate.

Let’s hit the tape.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/10/14/23403678/bills-chiefs-preview-pass-rush-frank-clark-chris-jones

WR JuJu Smith-Schuster

The big slot wideout will be covered by cornerback Taron Johnson, who is one of the league’s top slot defenders. With a receiving corps that lost Hill but still has wide receivers Mecole Hardman and Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Smith-Schuster is the top dog among the receivers. He and Johnson have squared off against each other before, as Buffalo played the Pittsburgh Steelers a few times in big spots over the last few years while Smith-Schuster was catching passes from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. If Johnson can contain Smith-Schuster one-on-one, it will make the rest of the defense much more efficient.

TE Travis Kelce

It’s not that I’m not worried about Kansas City’s running game, as Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Jerick McKinnon are both dangerous, but the Chiefs’ passing game is just so elite that it’s impossible to ignore. Kelce has destroyed Buffalo over the last few years, catching 32 passes for 336 yards and six touchdowns in his last four games against Buffalo. You have to go back to a 2017 meeting between these teams to find the last game where Kelce didn’t catch a touchdown against Buffalo; Mahomes was not his quarterback that day. If cornerback Tre’Davious White were healthy, this would probably be his assignment. I think it’s going to be a combination of players, including safety Jordan Poyer, linebackers Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds, and cornerback Kaiir Elam covering Kelce. Whoever is locked up with the stud tight end will need to be on point this week.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/10/14/23403741/bills-chiefs-preview-matchups-travis-kelce-chris-jones-patrick-mahomes

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Ju Ju top dog?  excuse me while I snicker

Its pretty obvious for a Chiefs fan that Mahomes trusts MVS the most out of his WRs.  Juju is coming along but I'll be honest its been a mixed bag.   You truly can't focus in on stopping one guy.  All of them contribute and seem to make plays when they need to, minus a few drops sprinkled in.   

33 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Those guys didn’t want to get toasted ;) 

I have a feeling Andy is figuring he can afford to lose to Buffalo but damnit that's a tie breaker if it comes to that. We'd still  be in first by a tie breaker after the Bolts beat Seattle

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I have a feeling Andy is figuring he can afford to lose to Buffalo but damnit that's a tie breaker if it comes to that. We'd still  be in first by a tie breaker after the Bolts beat Seattle

I'm getting the same feeling.  Can't believe Andy wouldn't do everything to win this one, but his talk of optionally holding McDuffie out an extra week is baffling.  Unless he's already certain that McDuffie can't go, it doesn't make sense. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I'm getting the same feeling.  Can't believe Andy wouldn't do everything to win this one, but his talk of optionally holding McDuffie out an extra week is baffling.  Unless he's already certain that McDuffie can't go, it doesn't make sense. 

I think he is not 100% yet. Why have him play and get torched because he is not ready? 

19 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I think he is not 100% yet. Why have him play and get torched because he is not ready? 

Chances are this.   He has played a half a football the whole season.   He probably couldnt do much to stay in game shape so that's probably what's going on they are getting him back into football shape and not push him before he is ready.  

I'll weigh in.  I'm afraid we will lose this one. Buffalo is a juggernaut right now. We won't have McDuffie, even though he is at practice. The secondary is missing guys.  We don't have Gay.  The whole defense has not gelled yet. The Buffalo defense is extremely strong and will bring great pressure. Allen will run on us to maintain drives.  Sorry guys, we lose this one.  Could be by just a little, but I would say more likely by more than one score.  The main thing is that Buffalo is supercharged to get even for their last second loss to us last year in the playoffs.  Their motivation will be off the charts similar to ours against Tampa Bay.