Defensive line

1 minute ago, Palangi said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/10/12/23400619/chiefs-taylor-stallworth-defensive-tackle-53-man-roster

Looks like Stallworth is the next guy up at DT. Makes sense for this week. Shelton is more of a run stuffer while Stallworth can affect the QB more

He was a solid rotational piece last year on a good defense. Hope he steps up. 

7 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

No. Dont mess up the long term plan for one guy. Nothing is guaranteed. 

Long term plan?  The long term plan is to add a guy capable of doing what Burns can do.  Problem is doing that at 28-32 in the draft is ridiculously hard.  Waiting for FA is also a crap shoot because guys like Burns at his age rarely ever make it to FA.   I don't love giving up draft picks to then sign them to a long term deal but our D is a stud DE away from taking a big jump.  Spags D hinges on the front 4 getting pressure.  Waiting for another rookie or aging vet to provide that wastes another year of CJ in the middle.   I know many don't want OBJ back but we still have the tag to secure that spot one more year which means the final two big holes are WR and RT.  We have some RT options on the roster and we still have Moore, MVS, and Kelce next year so the cupboard isn't completely barren.  DE is the one glaring hole.  Frank will be gone and so will Dunlap.  Karlaftis up to this point is a hustle and effort guy but has yet to show he can be that focal point on D for opponents and still get the job done.  He is a piece and an upgrade over what we had but we are wasting CJ's career and while this was suppose to be a rebuild year sitting on our hands right now wastes another year of Mahomes career and possibly golden opportunity for a SB. 

I generally feel the same as you do AFC about trading picks and signing long term deals but Burns is a really young and ascending player.   With all that said if we don't do it I won't lose any sleep.  

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Long term plan?  The long term plan is to add a guy capable of doing what Burns can do.  Problem is doing that at 28-32 in the draft is ridiculously hard.  Waiting for FA is also a crap shoot because guys like Burns at his age rarely ever make it to FA.   I don't love giving up draft picks to then sign them to a long term deal but our D is a stud DE away from taking a big jump.  Spags D hinges on the front 4 getting pressure.  Waiting for another rookie or aging vet to provide that wastes another year of CJ in the middle.   I know many don't want OBJ back but we still have the tag to secure that spot one more year which means the final two big holes are WR and RT.  We have some RT options on the roster and we still have Moore, MVS, and Kelce next year so the cupboard isn't completely barren.  DE is the one glaring hole.  Frank will be gone and so will Dunlap.  Karlaftis up to this point is a hustle and effort guy but has yet to show he can be that focal point on D for opponents and still get the job done.  He is a piece and an upgrade over what we had but we are wasting CJ's career and while this was suppose to be a rebuild year sitting on our hands right now wastes another year of Mahomes career and possibly golden opportunity for a SB. 

I generally feel the same as you do AFC about trading picks and signing long term deals but Burns is a really young and ascending player.   With all that said if we don't do it I won't lose any sleep.  

Plus we get a guy who we know is not a crap shoot in the draft that could possibly bust.

22 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Plus we get a guy who we know is not a crap shoot in the draft that could possibly bust.

It's always a risk but we would have him this year and then next year on his 5th year option and then a two tag years.   He's coming off back to back 9 sack years and has 4 already this year.   He has the 2nd highest win rate on third down last year.  He is only 24.  If you are going to take a gamble take it on a kid like this.  He is a difference maker and pairing him with CJ and Karlaftis makes this entire D a lot better.  

19 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

It's always a risk but we would have him this year and then next year on his 5th year option and then a two tag years.   He's coming off back to back 9 sack years and has 4 already this year.   He has the 2nd highest win rate on third down last year.  He is only 24.  If you are going to take a gamble take it on a kid like this.  He is a difference maker and pairing him with CJ and Karlaftis makes this entire D a lot better.  

Its smells like a Clark deal. Its not like a tag is cheap & I think you only get one per season. I doubt a KC 1st round pick will do it at #30 or so. So its likely multiple high picks and the another massive contract. What about C Jones? Yes the cap is going up but it does for everyone so it creates inflated contracts.

6 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Its smells like a Clark deal. Its not like a tag is cheap & I think you only get one per season. I doubt a KC 1st round pick will do it at #30 or so. So its likely multiple high picks and the another massive contract. What about C Jones? Yes the cap is going up but it does for everyone so it creates inflated contracts.

CJ is signed for this year and next.  He will be 30 then.  Burns is 24.   I do understand their is risks so if we don't (and we probably won't) I won't be upset.  Just seems like an opportunity to upgrade.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

No. Dont mess up the long term plan for one guy. Nothing is guaranteed. 

The long term plan? This guy would BE the long term plan. With Clarks 19 mill dropping off the books we could extend him and not be much worse for the wear cap wise.

The irony is we'd be essentially replacing Clark with "the next Clark" from a transactional standpoint, as I imagine the compensation and extension would probably be similar. 

It hasn't worked out with Clark and my guess is that would probably be the reason the Chiefs would hesitate on something like this.

But this kid is an absolute animal, and him and Karlaftis would be nice bookends for years to come. 

27 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

The long term plan? This guy would BE the long term plan. With Clarks 19 mill dropping off the books we could extend him and not be much worse for the wear cap wise.

The irony is we'd be essentially replacing Clark with "the next Clark" from a transactional standpoint, as I imagine the compensation and extension would probably be similar. 

It hasn't worked out with Clark and my guess is that would probably be the reason the Chiefs would hesitate on something like this.

But this kid is an absolute animal, and him and Karlaftis would be nice bookends for years to come. 

The biggest drawback would the haul it would take to get him.   It would take our 1st and at least another day 2 pick.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Sure maybe it solves one position for the next 4 years. Loss of picks and cap space will create holes in other areas. Yep its a Clark move all over again.

My position is consistent. Sign top free agents ok. Trade top picks and then big contracts not a good move. See the Brown deal. Another guy not living up to the hype and now waited to the last minute to talk serious contract. That cost the Chiefs more cap space and limited their other moves. So they get 2 years of average LT play and not on the cheap.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Sure maybe it solves one position for the next 4 years. Loss of picks and cap space will create holes in other areas. Yep its a Clark move all over again.

My position is consistent. Sign top free agents ok. Trade top picks and then big contracts not a good move. See the Brown deal. Another guy not living up to the hype and now waited to the last minute to talk serious contract. That cost the Chiefs more cap space and limited their other moves. So they get 2 years of average LT play and not on the cheap.

Screenshot_20221015-155745_Twitter.jpg

19 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

CJ is signed for this year and next.  He will be 30 then.  Burns is 24.   I do understand their is risks so if we don't (and we probably won't) I won't be upset.  Just seems like an opportunity to upgrade.

So do you think Jones at 30 will be to old to extend? 

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'd ay that's up to Jones but it would be hard to blame him for going  for a big $$$ deal and the Chiefs are not that team.

Hard to say for sure. Lots of guys older than that are still getting it done at a high level. Adding a great DE but losing Jones is not a huge gain. I see KC using the draft. It is possible the Brass knows this season is not their best shot. Yes they still do as much as possible, cause the best team on paper does not guarantee anything, but do not mortgage the future. 

11 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

So do you think Jones at 30 will be to old to extend? 

How many years.   He is probably still elite till 32 and if we don't draft two stud DE's then you probably have to.  He is our pressure and his presence generates pressure for our inempt DE's now.

On 10/15/2022 at 12:53 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

So what you are saying is because it didn’t work with one player, we should never try again?

drafting Todd Blackledge didn’t work either..  what happened?  The chiefs then went 3+ decades in the first round.  How did that work out for the franchise for those 30 years?

the logic is severely flawed….

It is a dead horse at this point, but Frank Clark has killed this team’s payroll for pass rushers the last couple of years. We need to get rid of bad contract guys and rebuild. I wouldn’t give Jones another contract unless team friendly. I wouldn’t give OBJ a big contract on the flip side either.

The defense has like one INT in 6 games? This fools don’t help the DBs ever.

2 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

It is a dead horse at this point, but Frank Clark has killed this team’s payroll for pass rushers the last couple of years. We need to get rid of bad contract guys and rebuild. I wouldn’t give Jones another contract unless team friendly. I wouldn’t give OBJ a big contract on the flip side either.

The defense has like one INT in 6 games? This fools don’t help the DBs ever.

Defense did not lose this game. Poor offense situational football did.

Chiefs have only 3 superstar players. Mahomes, Kelce and Jones. Thats it. The rest are average and a few above average. Jones is the only guy on defense teams are concerned with. Kelce is the only receiver/te teams are concerned with. Roster wise KC is rebuilding and still winning because Mahomes is the QB.