Kelce Contract Restructured and Potential Trades?

The Chiefs have restructured the contract of All Pro TE Travis Kelce, converting base salary into a signing bonus to clear $3.455M in cap space, per source.

It’s unknown whether the Chiefs have a specific move in mind or not, but it should be noted that the team’s bye week is coming up after this Sunday, which gives the front office a lot of time to sort through potential roster needs and additions. Beyond that, the NFL’s trade deadline is on November 1 and some deals have already started to happen as contenders poach losing teams for any assets that might help put them over the top.

6 minutes ago, xen said:

Personally I would take a look at Brian Burns with Carolina.  Price may be too high though with a couple cost controlled years.

Chiefs have a lot of picks next draft. What would you trade to secure him? Maybe KC has a deal ready to go for Burns or another guy?

11 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Rumor was that Clark said the 2023 first round pick is off the table.  He wants to pick on day one in KC.  A trade for Burns would take at least that pick.  Worth it though.

Hopefully it’s true.  To not have a first round pick while hosting the draft would be criminal.  I also believe trading away top picks compromises the longterm health of the franchise. 

7 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Hopefully it’s true.  To not have a first round pick while hosting the draft would be criminal.  I also believe trading away top picks compromises the longterm health of the franchise. 

Agree with top picks in most cases. I think this guy , Burns, is 2 years away from extending? Thats a big difference.Chiefs have a boat load of picks next year. More than they can roster. So do you want to win NFL Draft Ratings and Visibility or more games?

Carolina exercised his fifth year option, so his cap number next year is 16 million.  You’d be giving a 1st+ for a season and a half of a guy that’s going to want a 100 million dollar contract.  If the Chiefs do it I’m not gonna be mad, but I understand the reasoning against it, and if I were the one calling the shots, I don’t think I’d pull the trigger on that deal. Our first round pick next year is likely going to give us a cheap 5 year solution to the left tackle position. 

4 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Carolina exercised his fifth year option, so his cap number next year is 16 million.  You’d be giving a 1st+ for a season and a half of a guy that’s going to want a 100 million dollar contract.  If the Chiefs do it I’m not gonna be mad, but I understand the reasoning against it, and if I were the one calling the shots, I don’t think I’d pull the trigger on that deal. Our first round pick next year is likely going to give us a cheap 5 year solution to the left tackle position. 

Thanks. Based on this I agree. No deal.  Hard to say a 30th pick will get a LT but the Chiefs can move up if needed.

29 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Buffalo Bagels! no one would blink an eye if that 1rst round pick traded away got a SB Ring.

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

Buffalo Bagels! no one would blink an eye if that 1rst round pick traded away got a SB Ring.

As long as you have Mahomes you’re always in the hunt, but I don’t think we’re just an edge rusher from a ring. Buffalo is a more complete team, and we’re not going to orchard park in January and beating them. Our shortcomings aren’t so vast that they can’t be fixed in a single offseason, but there are too many to be fixed mid season. 

A few weeks ago i thought Veach might make an in season trade now I'm not so sure he does anything.   He just saw his D hold a team that's averaging almost 30 a game to 24 without 2 of its starters in Gay and Mcduffie with quite a few rookies getting significant playing time.  He might not see it the sameway we do.   On offense 3 of the 4 WRs  getting the most opportunity are new and the offense is still evolving and these guys are still learning.   The offense last year didn't really get going till week 10 last year and was inconsistent at best till then.  

If the offense and defense go into SF and look good and come out with a W and KC goes into the bye at 5 -2 Im not sure they make a move as their is still whole lotta room to get better where I'm not sure Buff gets much better than what they showed on Sunday.  

I would like to seea move. I would really like to see them get Mcaffrey from Panthers. You add that dude and you might as well start making the rings. I have to admit our defense really played better than I thought other than the pass rush. You add Christian this team would be unstopable in my worthless opinion.

7 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I would like to seea move. I would really like to see them get Mcaffrey from Panthers. You add that dude and you might as well start making the rings. I have to admit our defense really played better than I thought other than the pass rush. You add Christian this team would be unstopable in my worthless opinion.

Andy wont use him enough. RBs on this roster are almost a waste of cap space. Always injured. Last great season was 2019.

Year
Team
ATT
YDS
AVG
TD
REC
YDS
AVG
TD

10 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

A few weeks ago i thought Veach might make an in season trade now I'm not so sure he does anything.   He just saw his D hold a team that's averaging almost 30 a game to 24 without 2 of its starters in Gay and Mcduffie with quite a few rookies getting significant playing time.  He might not see it the sameway we do.   On offense 3 of the 4 WRs  getting the most opportunity are new and the offense is still evolving and these guys are still learning.   The offense last year didn't really get going till week 10 last year and was inconsistent at best till then.  

If the offense and defense go into SF and look good and come out with a W and KC goes into the bye at 5 -2 Im not sure they make a move as their is still whole lotta room to get better where I'm not sure Buff gets much better than what they showed on Sunday.  

He also saw his OL rarely provide a clean pocket for Patrick, he also saw what it would be like if we had a decent DE to play off of CJ to get to the other QB (of course it was the other teams DE's "Crosby, Miller etc)

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Rumor was that Clark said the 2023 first round pick is off the table.  He wants to pick on day one in KC.  A trade for Burns would take at least that pick.  Worth it though.

I hope they use it well, saw a mock draft the other day that had us picking at #30 and getting the RB from Texas 🤮

16 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

The 26-year-old running back only played 10 games between the 2020 and 2021 seasons due to a litany of injuries. McCaffrey’s current rushing and receiving yards per game still fall short of his electric production during the 2018 and 2019 seasons. A subpar offensive line and struggling quarterbacks could rightfully be to blame. But, the Panthers’ asking price could very well be reflective of what McCaffrey did three years ago, not what he is doing now.

NFL analyst Maurice Jones-Drew has already named Kansas City as a possible destination for McCaffrey. Jones-Drew said “McCaffrey could be the truly explosive element the attack has been missing,” despite solid production from current Chiefs running backs. If the asking price is very low, then the Chiefs should be in. If the Chiefs want more production from their running backs, they need to look at the scheme, not the individual players.

McCaffrey is in the first year of a four-year, $64.1 million extension that he signed in 2020, but he has a base salary of just $1 million this season. This means a contender like Buffalo could add McCaffrey, possibly as a one-year rental.

Next season, he will have only $1 million guaranteed for injury.

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

The 26-year-old running back only played 10 games between the 2020 and 2021 seasons due to a litany of injuries. McCaffrey’s current rushing and receiving yards per game still fall short of his electric production during the 2018 and 2019 seasons. A subpar offensive line and struggling quarterbacks could rightfully be to blame. But, the Panthers’ asking price could very well be reflective of what McCaffrey did three years ago, not what he is doing now.

NFL analyst Maurice Jones-Drew has already named Kansas City as a possible destination for McCaffrey. Jones-Drew said “McCaffrey could be the truly explosive element the attack has been missing,” despite solid production from current Chiefs running backs. If the asking price is very low, then the Chiefs should be in. If the Chiefs want more production from their running backs, they need to look at the scheme, not the individual players.

Yep, I'm with you West. If we picked up McCaffrey, I don't think we would utilize him enough for the price we paid for him. I say go find the best DE you can and go from there. Kinnard or Niang will have to work if they want to replace Wylie this year. And as far WR goes, everyone knows how "complicated" reids offense is so bringing someone new in now would be worthless imo..

7 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

He also saw his OL rarely provide a clean pocket for Patrick, he also saw what it would be like if we had a decent DE to play off of CJ to get to the other QB (of course it was the other teams DE's "Crosby, Miller etc)

Not denying any of that.   If what others are saying is true about the 1st being off the table where are you going to get a LT mid season that's clear upgrade.  DE is a need but you aren't finding anyone mid season that can play alot of snaps and get to the QB without using that first.  

2 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yep, I'm with you West. If we picked up McCaffrey, I don't think we would utilize him enough for the price we paid for him. I say go find the best DE you can and go from there. Kinnard or Niang will have to work if they want to replace Wylie this year. And as far WR goes, everyone knows how "complicated" reids offense is so bringing someone new in now would be worthless imo..

The Pittsburgh Steelers added defensive tackle Larry Ogunjobi late in the offseason as a one-year rental. Unfortunately, the year isn't going as they might have hoped.

At 1-4 and with a tough stretch looming—the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Miami Dolphins and Philadelphia Eagles are up next—Pittsburgh could easily be 1-7 at the trade deadline. If so, impending free agents like Ogunjobi could become prime trade bait.

Ogunjobi was a star for the Cincinnati Bengals a year ago, finishing with 49 tackles, 12 tackles for loss and a career-high seven sacks. With a base salary of only $1.5 million, his contract shouldn't be difficult to move.

1. Not an end but could be another piece to move around.

Seattle Seahawks cornerback Sidney Jones IV is moving up the list largely because he doesn't seem to have a role in Seattle. While Jones dealt with a concussion early in the season, he's been a healthy scratch in two of the past three weeks.

If Seattle isn't going to utilize Jones, another team could.

Jones was an 11-game starter last season and allowed an opposing passer rating of only 84.3 in coverage. He's playing on a reasonable one-year, $3.6 million deal that should be easy enough for Seattle to move. Good cornerbacks at fair price points typically aren't easy to find at the trade deadline.