Interesting

Quarterback Patrick Mahomes is only completing 56% of his fourth-quarter passes, the worst mark of any specific quarter. He has thrown three interceptions in that period — more than he’s thrown in each of the last two seasons (2). His fourth-quarter passer rating is 54.9; the lowest of the other quarters is 106.2.

So why has the offense come up short when it has mattered most this season?

I wanted to take a closer look:

Low-impact run game

In the win over the Chargers, the game-deciding field goal drive began with a 52-yard carry by running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire. The beautifully-blocked, under-center run play was the only explosive rush the Chiefs have had in the fourth quarter this season.

Outside of that run, Chiefs running backs have totaled 25 yards on 15 attempts in a tightly-contested fourth quarter.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/10/18/23410368/film-review-fourth-quarter-failures-have-become-theme-of-chiefs-offense

Andy Reid and Spags both like going conservative.  It kills our offensive rhythm and contradicts our identity on O and on defense it allows teams to come back.   At what point do you have some awareness that the D as a whole isn't great and its more productive to stay aggressive.   I wish Reid would bury teams.

3 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Andy Reid and Spags both like going conservative.  It kills our offensive rhythm and contradicts our identity on O and on defense it allows teams to come back.   At what point do you have some awareness that the D as a whole isn't great and its more productive to stay aggressive.   I wish Reid would bury teams.

Its not just the 4th quarter. Andy screws up the last 2 minutes of the half constantly. Does not play situational football. Someone posted they think Mahomes gives Andy more room to gamble cause PM will make it up. Yes that does happen and then there are time like Sunday when PM could not fix his brain fart and it gave Buff a shot at 7 extra points. 

2 minutes ago, Calichief said:

15 attempts in 6 games in the 4th! Ha! Lol 

2.5 attempts per game .. 🤦‍♂️ 

The problem stems from the Chiefs leaning on the run scheme they’ve always leaned on: zone runs from shotgun. Running from this alignment — especially when it’s a stretch run towards the sideline — does not play into the strengths of the running back room. This group wants to get downhill, but it’s harder to do on these horizontal runs.

The offensive line wants to get downhill too, and that’s not what is asked of them on these run actions. They can’t create penetration of the defensive line when they’re moving sideways.

When defending a lead or tied in the fourth quarter, the runs need to do more than just kill time between pass plays; they need to move the chains for the offense. Whether on first down or a short-yardage scenario, a run from under center gives the back the best chance to maximize the blocking — especially when the defense is more inclined to expect a run.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

The problem stems from the Chiefs leaning on the run scheme they’ve always leaned on: zone runs from shotgun. Running from this alignment — especially when it’s a stretch run towards the sideline — does not play into the strengths of the running back room. This group wants to get downhill, but it’s harder to do on these horizontal runs.

The offensive line wants to get downhill too, and that’s not what is asked of them on these run actions. They can’t create penetration of the defensive line when they’re moving sideways.

When defending a lead or tied in the fourth quarter, the runs need to do more than just kill time between pass plays; they need to move the chains for the offense. Whether on first down or a short-yardage scenario, a run from under center gives the back the best chance to maximize the blocking — especially when the defense is more inclined to expect a run.

Like I’ve said for three years. It’s about the threat to run. Like Xen says, you don’t need a run game to win in the nfl, I agree. You need the threat. And you NEED to take it when it’s there!

3 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Like I’ve said for three years. It’s about the threat to run. Like Xen says, you don’t need a run game to win in the nfl, I agree. You need the threat. And you NEED to take it when it’s there!

Chiefs need a different oline coach. Too much talent for these average at best results.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

yep lets get rid of him

I did not say get rid of him. Read the post. Its in those situations he is letting his ego get in the way. AFC Championship game when KC failed to put points on the board before the half. It happens often. I call that choking. Second half of that playoff game. How many points? Not enough for sure. Choked.