Fountain wanted out

Chiefs to release WR Daurice Fountain from practice squad

Charles Goldman
Mon, October 24, 2022 at 3:33 PM

The Kansas City Chiefs are allowing one of their practice to pursue other opportunities according to a new report.

Chiefs Digest’s Matt Derrick revealed on Monday that the Chiefs will release WR Daurice Fountain from the practice squad. A former fifth-round draft pick by the Indianapolis Colts in 2018, Fountain first caught on with Kansas City in 2021. After a strong training camp and preseason, Fountain made the initial 53-man roster in 2021, but he would be released in October.

He spent the majority of his time on the practice squad with the Chiefs, but he was called up twice during last season’s playoff run to play on special teams. The 2022 NFL season saw Fountain released during 53-man roster cuts and signed to the practice squad.

According to Derrick, Fountain has received interest from several teams who are seeking receiver help at the midseason mark. With the Chiefs adding another receiver to the practice squad just last week alongside veterans Chris Conley, Marcus Kemp and Cornell Powell, it’s no surprise that Fountain wanted out of Kansas City. He’s always been a team player during his time in Kansas City, routinely seen rooting for his teammates on Twitter on game day. There is no doubt that his presence in the locker room will be missed.

2 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

i get the respect...  but should have at least tried to trade him, even if it was for a conditional 7th...

Maybe they did?  KC stll has Conley & Powell on the PS. Nobody claimed any of these guys off the KC PS squad. Teams could just get him or any other guy on the PS for free. Did not happen.

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Maybe they did?  KC stll has Conley & Powell on the PS. Nobody claimed any of these guys off the KC PS squad. Teams could just get him or any other guy on the PS for free. Did not happen.

So does that mean that Matt Derrick is just making stuff up?  Don't get me wrong...  I completely agree with what your saying and the logic involved...  but if Derrick's report was accurate, why didn't one of these teams he reported had interest in him just grab him off the practice squad?

Also...  if Derrick's report is accurate, wouldn't that be tampering?

Sorry, re-reading all this and it just feels like lies and bad reporting, lol

Just now, WichitaZRide said:

So does that mean that Matt Derrick is just making stuff up?  Don't get me wrong...  I completely agree with what your saying and the logic involved...  but if Derrick's report was accurate, why didn't one of these teams he reported had interest in him just grab him off the practice squad?

Its hard to find any reporting I can trust on any topic. Its all clicks focused and exaggeration to get views.

2 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I could be wrong, but if a team claims a player off another team's PS, don't they have to put them on their active roster for some defined time?  That would hinder claiming Fountain unless a team was sure he could produce for them.  As for tampering, any agent doing his job would be constantly feeling out interest from other teams if his client isn't on an active roster.  Just guessing. 

18 hours ago, jetlord said:

I could be wrong, but if a team claims a player off another team's PS, don't they have to put them on their active roster for some defined time?  That would hinder claiming Fountain unless a team was sure he could produce for them.  As for tampering, any agent doing his job would be constantly feeling out interest from other teams if his client isn't on an active roster.  Just guessing. 

Yes you have to be on active roster for 3 weeks.

I think this was more about opportunity for Fountain.  There's a logjam for potential playing time for him on both offense and special teams.

5 hours ago, xen said:

Yes you have to be on active roster for 3 weeks.

I think this was more about opportunity for Fountain.  There's a logjam for potential playing time for him on both offense and special teams.

Heard somewhere that teams would have to claim him off the Chiefs' PS before they could even give him a physical.  This way, they can examine him to see if there's interest which increases his opportunities.  

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Heard somewhere that teams would have to claim him off the Chiefs' PS before they could even give him a physical.  This way, they can examine him to see if there's interest which increases his opportunities.  

Lots of WR needy teams and he doesn't warrant a trade.  Signing off PS is usually reserved for proven guys or guys you're familiar with so this is really his best hope doing it this way.  

Da bears

A day after his release from the Kansas City Chiefs practice squad, Daurice Fountain landed with a new team.

According to the NFL’s official personnel notice for Wednesday, Fountain has signed to the Chicago Bears practice squad. The former fifth-round draft pick by the Indianapolis Colts originally joined the Chiefs in 2021, meaning he has familiarity with new Bears GM Ryan Poles. He also was with new Bears HC Matt Eberflus in Indianapolis.