Good Article on Dorsey

hey Mods..I hope its ok to post from AP..if not kick wilkie and I won't do it again.

When John Dorsey was hired as the Kansas City Chiefs general manager on Jan. 13, 2013, the organization was two weeks removed from disaster and barely two months past tragedy. Kansas City was coming off the firing of Romeo Crennel and Scott Pioli after a dismal 2-14 campaign, a year which included the Jovan Belcher murder-suicide.

Dorsey inherited Matt Cassel and a furious fan base, along with a talented but mostly unproven roster. Outside of Andy Reid, Dorsey had little certainty to work with. His first major move was trading two second-round picks to the San Francisco 49ers for Alex Smith. Those selections netted Justin Hunter for the Tennessee Titans (49ers swapped out) and Cody Latimer for the Denver Broncos (another 49ers trade).

Would you trade Hunter and Latimer for Smith? Yeah, me too.

Dorsey executed one other brilliant deal in 2013, acquiring Anthony Sherman for Javier Arenas. Arenas is now on his third team in as many seasons while Sherman has become the best fullback in the NFL.

In his two offseasons, Dorsey has signed a multitude of helpful players including James-Michael Johnson, Marcus Cooper, Christopher Owens, Anthony Fasano, Sean Smith, Mike DeVito, Akeem Jordan, Joe Mays, Geoff Schwartz, Ryan Harris, Husain Abdullah, Chase Daniel, Donnie Avery and Ron Parker, just to name a few. Some have been a little overpaid, and there have been a handful that didn't work out, but that can be said for even Hall of Fame general managers.

Dorsey has also put together what appear to be two excellent drafts. Eric Fisher is turning into a cornerstone at left tackle, with Knile Davis and Travis Kelce blossoming into stars. Then, Dorsey backed up that class with the 2014 group which has already produced Zach Fulton and De'Anthony Thomas, along with the promise of Dee Ford, Phillip Gaines and Aaron Murray.

Perhaps Dorsey deserves the most credit for knowing when to cut a player. I was the first in line crushing him when Brandon Flowers was released. It has turned out to be the right move, as the Chiefs defense ranks eighth in points allowed per game despite losing four starters for all or most of the season to this point, including two All-Pros.

Dorsey also allowed for Branden Albert, Jon Asamoah and Schwartz to walk, believing in his offensive line and the coaching staff. Then, he watch Jeff Allen go down in Week 1 and Donald Stephenson get suspended for four games. It wasn't pretty at first, but the line now looks cohesive and even at times, dominant. It is also the youngest offensive line in football.

Come this offseason, Dorsey will have a chance to put this team over the top. He will be locked and loaded with 11 draft picks, including a second-rounder for the first time in his Chiefs tenure. Dorsey can also open up space on the cap should he choose to.

Tamba Hali can be released at a $9 million cap savings, although I want to see him extended. All this talk of him being old sure goes away when he is on the field. DeVito would be another $4 million, with Fasano at $2M, Daniel at $2.8M, Avery at $3.5M, Mays at $3M, Vance Walker at $1.7M and A.J. Jenkins at $1.3M.

Let's say Dorsey extends Hali and lowers his cap hit to $5 million next season, and chooses to retain Fasano. The Chiefs will still see a savings of $16.3 million from those players alone, with a bunch of other guys like Jeff Linkenbach being let go to allow for more room. Additionally, the cap is expected to rise between $8-10 million next season, per multiple media reports. While Justin Houston, Rodney Hudson and Sherman have to be kept, there will be money to bring in a key piece or two, on top of those 11 rookies and undrafted rookie free-agents.

This season is young, and from this vantage point very promising. Dorsey has built a team with enough depth to withstand a mound of injuries and still compete and even beat the best in the NFL. If this group can continue to improve and get into the playoffs this season, it would be a major accomplishment that most thought impossible.

It's easy to forget how bad this team was when Dorsey took over. It's been quite the turnaround, and it has only begun

certainly will be an interesting off season. Lots of moves to be made. I am surprised that releasing Berry was not in the article. Hali has certainly proven his worth and I too would like to see his contract extended to be more cap friendly.

Would you trade Hunter and Latimer for Smith? Yeah, me too.

That's a blunt way of looking at it.  Had the Chiefs been able to acquire Smith for less, one would hope that Dorsey would be able to do better!

What if he had drafted gotten Al for one R2 and drafted Latimer or Allen Robinson or Jarvis Landry?  Yeah, me too.  

certainly will be an interesting off season. Lots of moves to be made. I am surprised that releasing Berry was not in the article. Hali has certainly proven his worth and I too would like to see his contract extended to be more cap friendly.

Hali is a real tough call.  He show's no sign of slowing, but that can happen overnight.  It's not usually good business to extend 31 year old players.

I wish I knew the right answer.

Hali is a real tough call. He show's no sign of slowing, but that can happen overnight. It's not usually good business to extend 31 year old players.

I wish I knew the right answer.

If it means keeping Houston and Berry that is easy to answer.

Yes, I saw your earlier post...

Do you think they keep Berry after this season?

w

Berry's cap is lower next year (from $11.62M to 8.36).  Still not low.  

A few things will factor in, first being his health.  Him not being available makes any cap hit tough to swallow.  Next, Dee Ford's development.  If the light turns on and he stops running in circles, they might keep EB at the expense of Hali.  They might dump the two of them and Dwayne Bowe , a guy forgotten in this piece.  Unless Bowe lights it up starting soon, like, um, now, he's the first one gone.  His cap # is $14M 

I would to see them keep Berry, have him drop 10 pounds and play FS.  I think he'd be amazing.  He had 14 INT 3 TD in three years at Tennessee in college.  He wasn't a SS then.

Here's my opinion on the Berry/Hali debacle and why we dont have to touch them...

Who to cut in 2015...

1. Dwayne Bowe - WR

Set to make 14 million, Bowe's dead money figure is 9 million, which would net the Chiefs 5 million in cap space. The question is, can KC replace Bowe's production with 5 million? The answer should be yes, given guys like Emmanuel Sanders signed for about 4 million a year ago. It doesn't look like Bowe will eclipse 60 catches, 800 yards, and 5 TDs for the 3rd consecutive season.

Realistic replacements: Denarius Moore (OAK), Cecil Shorts (JAC)

Both Shorts and Moore have put up similar stats at a significantly lower price tag. You could probably get both for the 5 million Bowe frees up. Even then, picking up Moore to replace Avery (below) and drafting Bowe's replacement, might not be bad medicine.

2. Mike DeVito - DE

Set to make 5.4 million, DeVito's dead money figure is 1.4 million, which would net the Chiefs 4 million in cap space. This money could be used to secure a long-term contract with Allen Bailey, who has taken the next step to become a prominent figure in the front 7. Not to mention, DeVito is coming off an Achilles and may not be the same player again.

Replacement: Allen Bailey (KC)

You might get Bailey for far less than the 4 million, freeing up 1-1.5 million for another player.

3. Derrick Johnson - LB

Set to make 5.25 million, Johnson's entire cap number could be freed up if he's cut before his roster and workout bonuses come due. After coming off an Achilles at the end of a career, it may be best if the Chiefs just reach an injury settlement and move on. Use this money towards locking up Houston long-term.

Total money for Houston: 5.25 million

4. Chase Daniel - QB

Set to make 4.8 million, Daniel's dead money figure is 1 million, which would net the Chiefs 3.8 million in cap space. Daniel shouldn't be needed with another year of development of both Tyler Bray and Aaron Murray. Use this money towards locking up Houston long-term.

Total money for Houston: 9.05 million

5. Anthony Fasano - TE

Set to make 4.225 million, Fasano's dead money figure is 2.25 million, which would net the Chiefs 1.975 milion in cap space. Fasano is a blocking TE that can get out and make some catches. There are plenty of these that can be had around the 800K mark every year, which could give the Chiefs a realistic net of around 1 million. Even then, drafting a blocking TE in round 5 or so isn't all that difficult. More money for Houston...

Total money for Houston : 10 Million

6. Donnie Avery - WR

Set to make 4.05 million, Avery's dead money figure is a paltry 500K, which would net the Chiefs 3.55 million in cap sapce. Avery is so sporatic in his contributions, its hard to see a rookie mid-rounder not making up for his skill set.

Total money for Houston : 13.5 Million

That isn't touching the big money guys in Hali and Berry.

Funny how the story changes over time. Pre-Dorsey, the Chiefs were "a team of All-Pros who only needed a head coach and a QB to compete."

... and yet, some people looked at that and were unable to pull their heads far enough out of their asses to predict so much as a winning season for the 2013 Chiefs, who were facing the league's most cream-puff schedule.

Here's my opinion on the Berry/Hali debacle and why we dont have to touch them...

Who to cut in 2015...

1. Dwayne Bowe - WR

Set to make 14 million, Bowe's dead money figure is 9 million, which would net the Chiefs 5 million in cap space. The question is, can KC replace Bowe's production with 5 million? The answer should be yes, given guys like Emmanuel Sanders signed for about 4 million a year ago. It doesn't look like Bowe will eclipse 60 catches, 800 yards, and 5 TDs for the 3rd consecutive season.

Realistic replacements: Denarius Moore (OAK), Cecil Shorts (JAC)

Both Shorts and Moore have put up similar stats at a significantly lower price tag. You could probably get both for the 5 million Bowe frees up. Even then, picking up Moore to replace Avery (below) and drafting Bowe's replacement, might not be bad medicine.

Not bad.  I like both Moore and Shorts.  

Green Bay could be an interesting situation to watch, given Dorsey's ties.  Randall Cobb and Jarrett Boykin are set to be FA.  Cobb might be expensive and they might let him walk depending on where Davante Adams is.  They just paid Jordy Nelson.  Can we afford Cobb?  Boykin will be cheaper.

Not bad. I like both Moore and Shorts.

Green Bay could be an interesting situation to watch, given Dorsey's ties. Randall Cobb and Jarrett Boykin are set to be FA. Cobb might be expensive and they might let him walk depending on where Davante Adams is. They just paid Jordy Nelson. Can we afford Cobb? Boykin will be cheaper.

Adams would have looked good in red...

Not bad.  I like both Moore and Shorts.  

Green Bay could be an interesting situation to watch, given Dorsey's ties.  Randall Cobb and Jarrett Boykin are set to be FA.  Cobb might be expensive and they might let him walk depending on where Davante Adams is.  They just paid Jordy Nelson.  Can we afford Cobb?  Boykin will be cheaper.

Green Bay looks to be in an okay situation cap wise... They have 121 million under contract, but have a few FAs to sign.... Tramon Williams (CB and big contract), BJ Raji (signs point to letting him walk), then their next big target is Cobb. Boykin is an RFA.

Archived