No Tyreek....no problem!

You may have caught this little blurb off NFL network but it bears repeating:

"K.C. has a league-best 22 receptions of 25 or more yards this season, up from 14 such catches over the same span a year ago. The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill away and got more explosive. Go figure."_

Is it just me or are most of the off-season narratives thrown out by sports analysts looking like a bunch of dookie right about now?

3 minutes ago, dhitter said:

You may have caught this little blurb off NFL network but it bears repeating:

"K.C. has a league-best 22 receptions of 25 or more yards this season, up from 14 such catches over the same span a year ago. The Chiefs traded Tyreek Hill away and got more explosive. Go figure."_

Is it just me or are most of the off-season narratives thrown out by sports analysts looking like a bunch of dookie right about now?

I enjoyed all the "Tyreek made Mahomes" statements. 

Mahomes was forced to get better, even last year, as teams adjusted. He is reading the field more and picking the open target. Cannot just chuck it to Tyreek. Good WRs are important. KC at least didn’t hang Mahomes out to dry like they did Rodgers. Got to bring in talent, even if not as talented, as Hill.

4 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Mahomes was forced to get better, even last year, as teams adjusted. He is reading the field more and picking the open target. Cannot just chuck it to Tyreek. Good WRs are important. KC at least didn’t hang Mahomes out to dry like they did Rodgers. Got to bring in talent, even if not as talented, as Hill.

But that is the point. Too much was made of Hill's talent while also detracting from Mahomes' talent. As AZC referenced...there was actually a narrative floating out there that Hill (and Kelce) actually made Mahomes. There was a narrative that teams have "figured out" Mahomes. #15 is unlike any other QB. He is elite yet still developing his craft. Yes we went out and got some guys...but the storyline has been who the other teams have gotten and who the Chiefs let go.

16 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yards and receptions so far, yes. Touchdowns scored, no.

Those yards have contributed to additional points and additional wins.  Take out the games with the backup quarterback and the Dolphins are 5-0 and have beat the Bills.  I don't think there's any doubt that Hill has elevated that team.  

Both sides win.   For some reason people have a hard time acknowledging both are superstars and neither need the other to succeed.   Hill is being targets almost 2 times more per game compared to last year but his production has been higher.  Mahomes is having an amazing season and is doing so against a brutal schedule with a bunch of wr's brought in during the offseason.   Both are winners.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

ask again in 2-3years

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/jaylen-waddle-72385

and buy then Cheetah will be cuttable and 30-31 years old

https://overthecap.com/player/tyreek-hill/4878

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize Waddle had already signed his contract.  Seems like he went cheap compared to others signed this last off season.  

20 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Thanks for the info.  I didn't realize Waddle had already signed his contract.  Seems like he went cheap compared to others signed this last off season.  

If by 'went cheap', you mean 'signed his rookie contract at the slot price negotiated by the league and players union', then sure.

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Those yards have contributed to additional points and additional wins.  Take out the games with the backup quarterback and the Dolphins are 5-0 and have beat the Bills.  I don't think there's any doubt that Hill has elevated that team.  

Never said it did not. I am pointing out the fact he has not scored even though being targeted much more. You also can't say they would have not loss even with starting qb in and their schedule so far as look at the teams played.

For me, to see he is on pace for 184 targets and 4 td's is just insane. He also has the help of not having to be the only WR on the team worth a damn. Imagine of we had Kelce, him and a legit wr like Waddle. Though his production for yards would go down, he would bot be able to be doubled as much. For this, I think we are better overall and Miami seems happy.

We have more picks to go, got younger and cap space under control all from 1 player. Both sides won. I just think we will be better for it than Miami as they have really yet to show they can get to and win in the playoffs. Chiefs should have no problem getting to it, but we have yet to see if we can win without him too.

8 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Never said it did not. I am pointing out the fact he has not scored even though being targeted much more. You also can't say they would have not loss even with starting qb in and their schedule so far as look at the teams played.

For me, to see he is on pace for 184 targets and 4 td's is just insane. He also has the help of not having to be the only WR on the team worth a damn. Imagine of we had Kelce, him and a legit wr like Waddle. Though his production for yards would go down, he would bot be able to be doubled as much. For this, I think we are better overall and Miami seems happy.

We have more picks to go, got younger and cap space under control all from 1 player. Both sides won. I just think we will be better for it than Miami as they have really yet to show they can get to and win in the playoffs. Chiefs should have no problem getting to it, but we have yet to see if we can win without him too.

I never said it was a bad trade.  Just pointing out that hill has also elevated the dolphins team and made Tua a much better quarterback. 

I mean, I think we all knew Hill is an absolute stud and the most feared WR in the NFL for good reason.  Not surprised he's doing so well with another outside threat as good as Waddle.  The test will be once defenses get enough film to formulate an effective strategy, and if they can adjust.  We saw it firsthand here.  The adjustments have yet to come.  What I don't get about them is not using Gesicki.  That kid is a stud but McDaniel doesn't seem to care to use him.  Would seem a natural counter to the drop coverage to come.

4 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

If you watch the last games highlights, Tua threw some bad balls that tyreek went up and got.  I'm still not 100 convinced. 

Yeah, some were way short and Hill bailed him out. Law of average will say it is only a matter of time before those are picked off or defended. One I saw was Hill waited for it and high pointed it just right, we saw it a few times too when he was here. Tua may be accurate but his arm strength is suspect at best. I think k the game plan will be to defend Hill woth 2 deep and bring down the rest to flood the easy throws that Tua thrives on. We will see.

19 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yeah, some were way short and Hill bailed him out. Law of average will say it is only a matter of time before those are picked off or defended. One I saw was Hill waited for it and high pointed it just right, we saw it a few times too when he was here. Tua may be accurate but his arm strength is suspect at best. I think k the game plan will be to defend Hill woth 2 deep and bring down the rest to flood the easy throws that Tua thrives on. We will see.

Good strategy on hill. But Waddle is very good too...And damn near just as fast. They got something going in Miami, but I think a decent pass rush can neutrilize the fins.....But that's with any team I suppose. 

I got a weird feeling we'll be seeing the fins in the playoffs.....yuck.