Chiefs new WR

The Kansas City Chiefs have traded for wide receiver Kadarius Toney in a deal with the New York Giants.

The Kansas City Chiefs looked like a team that might address a need or two before the NFL’s looming trade deadline on November 1. On Thursday, they made a deal with the New York Giants to send a 3rd-round pick and a sixth-round choice in exchange for former first-round wide receiver Kadarius Toney.

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

The Kansas City Chiefs have traded for wide receiver Kadarius Toney in a deal with the New York Giants.

The Kansas City Chiefs looked like a team that might address a need or two before the NFL’s looming trade deadline on November 1. On Thursday, they made a deal with the New York Giants to send a 3rd-round pick and a sixth-round choice in exchange for former first-round wide receiver Kadarius Toney.

I do not like this trade. 

But Toney’s time with the Giants immediately got off to a rough start. He dealt with cleat issues during rookie minicamp and the problems only became more pronounced from there. He routinely missed practice time and games due to a wide variety of injuries, which is something that carried over into 2022.

As frustration grew, Toney lashed out at both reporters and fans via social media, eventually walking back some of those statements. However, the maturity issues persisted over time.

Despite the best effort from head coach Brian Daboll, Toney never seemed to fit in and was constantly hamstrung (no pun intended) by injury. He suffered three separate hamstring injuries this year, causing him to six-plus games.

In two games this season, Toney caught just two passes for 23 yards and rushed the ball three times for two yards. He finished last season with 39 receptions for 420 yards and no touchdowns.

Although dynamic when healthy and on the field, Toney never seemed to fit in with the Giants and became expendable.

A third and a sixth?  Dont like it. Injury prone reciver.

The Kansas City Chiefs went all-in on rebuilding their wide receiver group during the offseason and despite seeing the group come together nicely over the last few weeks, the team is adding even more talent to the room. Per Jordan Schultz of theScore, Kansas City is sending a third-round pick and a sixth-round pick to the New York Giants in exchange for wide receiver Kadarius Toney.

Schultz's report indicates that the third-round selection is a conditional third-rounder, and Ben Standig of The Athletic reports that the offering is a compensatory selection. The Chiefs have one of those (in addition to their own third-rounder that was normally issued) due to Ryan Poles joining the Chicago Bears organization. With ample future picks to work with, general manager Brett Veach adds an intriguing talent to the mix in Kansas City in exchange for projected Day Two and Day Three draft capital.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

But Toney’s time with the Giants immediately got off to a rough start. He dealt with cleat issues during rookie minicamp and the problems only became more pronounced from there. He routinely missed practice time and games due to a wide variety of injuries, which is something that carried over into 2022.

As frustration grew, Toney lashed out at both reporters and fans via social media, eventually walking back some of those statements. However, the maturity issues persisted over time.

Despite the best effort from head coach Brian Daboll, Toney never seemed to fit in and was constantly hamstrung (no pun intended) by injury. He suffered three separate hamstring injuries this year, causing him to six-plus games.

In two games this season, Toney caught just two passes for 23 yards and rushed the ball three times for two yards. He finished last season with 39 receptions for 420 yards and no touchdowns.

Although dynamic when healthy and on the field, Toney never seemed to fit in with the Giants and became expendable.

A third and a sixth?  Dont like it. Injury prone reciver.

I don't think much of it either. A 3rd seems kind of steep.

But Veach and Reid lnow more about this than either one of us.

If Toney stays healthy and keeps his mind right, this will become a real steal. THAT"S IF...

I still don't quite understand why no defensive help. Geez...I know they couldn't get a good DE for that value, but do you mean to tell me that they couldn't find a DT or veteran CB for that? 

I don’t know what to think of this one at all. Is he a bust so far? How would you even know that by now? 
He’s going to be on the 53 man roster this year. Not going to the practice squad. 
Might even just immediately put him on IR at this point? 
And, if not, who gets demoted or released or traded? 
This one confuses me. 

3 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

I don’t know what to think of this one at all. Is he a bust so far? How would you even know that by now? 
He’s going to be on the 53 man roster this year. Not going to the practice squad. 
Might even just immediately put him on IR at this point? 
And, if not, who gets demoted or released or traded? 
This one confuses me. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he instantly becomes the new Punt returner....While they slowly transition him into the offense. 

Like it.  He's not without issues but he is very talented and we got a first round wr that we liked two years ago for a conditional 3rd.   We will have 3 1/2 on a rookie contract.   We don't have any wr on a contract past this year other than MVS and Skyy.   

I'm just gonna see this as a "meh" move and hope for the best:

• The 3rd rounder we gave up is a comp pick, so first, its really like a 4th, and 2nd, we got it for free for Poole getting hired, so really we are taking a shot on a WR by giving up a 6th rounder
  • The guy will instantly come in and take punt duty away from Moore, so we can all put that issue to rest
  • He's a Hardman replacement with upside.  Only cost us like 750k this year, 2 mill next year, and 3 mill the year after
  • He's cheap.  785k this year, 2 mill next year, and 2.5 mill in 2024 with a 5th year option
  • He has a high ceiling.  20th overall pick last year, sounds like he couldn't handle the NY Big City Market, could hopefully flourish in the Midwest

I'm guessing Veach was really high on him last year and didn't forget.  So better we used a conditional 3rd and a 6th on him than giving up all kinds of trade capital for him back then.  I'm not expecting much, but at the same time, it won't take much to make this a good trade...   worth the risk IMO

Like the trade.   We get a very talented first round wr for a conditional 3rd.   We get 3 years of a cost controller player and we only have two wr on the roster for next year.    It is a gamble with his injuries and lack of maturity but our locker room is strong.   My only question is whose roster spot does he take and can he return punts?

1 minute ago, WichitaZRide said:

I'm just gonna see this as a "meh" move and hope for the best:

• The 3rd rounder we gave up is a comp pick, so first, its really like a 4th, and 2nd, we got it for free for Poole getting hired, so really we are taking a shot on a WR by giving up a 6th rounder
  • The guy will instantly come in and take punt duty away from Moore, so we can all put that issue to rest
  • He's a Hardman replacement with upside.  Only cost us like 750k this year, 2 mill next year, and 3 mill the year after
  • He's cheap.  785k this year, 2 mill next year, and 2.5 mill in 2024 with a 5th year option
  • He has a high ceiling.  20th overall pick last year, sounds like he couldn't handle the NY Big City Market, could hopefully flourish in the Midwest

I'm guessing Veach was really high on him last year and didn't forget.  So better we used a conditional 3rd and a 6th on him than giving up all kinds of trade capital for him back then.  I'm not expecting much, but at the same time, it won't take much to make this a good trade...   worth the risk IMO

Veach sure  loves those disappointing former 1st rd picks.

3 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

Veach sure  loves those disappointing former 1st rd picks.

Veach makes these deals for former ist rounders but I cant think of any that were  good with KC either ?  A team makes a poor draft choice and Veach comes calling. Has any deal like this worked out?

Just now, WichitaZRide said:

Almost as much as Reid likes players with off the field issues or Spags likes featuring bad vets over more talented young guys....

Mmm, I'm not sure if I agree with the Reid take...Does he really like players with off the field issues??

Spags on the other hand...Yep. If the guy practices hard and is very vocal, he likes!!