Chiefs new WR

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I think a long term deal that would average around 15 million per season based on the latest inflation. 

If JuJu has a couple of more games like the last two, the Chiefs will try to extend him before the end of the season.  Not sure if his agent will go for it or not, but it makes sense for both sides.  Toney is here for the playoffs and as a future prospect.  The Chiefs didn't need more WR firepower for the upcoming schedule.  Punt returner, yes.  Slot receiver, not so much.  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

If JuJu has a couple of more games like the last two, the Chiefs will try to extend him before the end of the season.  Not sure if his agent will go for it or not, but it makes sense for both sides.  Toney is here for the playoffs and as a future prospect.  The Chiefs didn't need more WR firepower for the upcoming schedule.  Punt returner, yes.  Slot receiver, not so much.  

Will be interesting for sure. I think if KC knows they are not keeping Brown they may make a big trade and extend Shuster. I hope the Chiefs will no longer allow free agents to negotiate up to the final minutes. Both Hill and Brown messed up the Chiefs offseason plans a bit. Give them a date well in advance of free agency and the draft to sign or move on.. 

5 minutes ago, jetlord said:

After holding off for the big contract in the last couple years curious about the possibility of an early extension. Would definitely want to keep him around for a modest deal if the current streak continues but he basically bet on himself a couple times.

That being said the last injury may lead to him being more conservative with his expectations. 

1 minute ago, sith13 said:

After holding off for the big contract in the last couple years curious about the possibility of an early extension. Would definitely want to keep him around for a modest deal if the current streak continues but he basically bet on himself a couple times.

That being said the last injury may lead to him being more conservative with his expectations. 

He will follow the money and teams like the Raiders will always over pay. Adams had 3 yards yesterday. LOL

1 minute ago, sith13 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.  JuJu hasn't lit it up since his rookie year and the threat of injury is always there.  He's not in the elite class like Hill or Adams so might be reasonable.  On the other hand, he might string together a few 100 yd. games and think he's the next Jerry Rice and want to be paid accordingly.  Veach will find out. 

WRs are a little scary from a cap perspective. Next year looked pretty bad with only MVS and Moore from the current group returning. Adding Toney helps a lot. If we can resign JJ, we are looking pretty good. Get some production out of Toney, Ross and maybe a rookie and we have a pretty cost effective WR corp. 

I like that Toney is a punt returner. We got to clean up those devastating turnovers in the punt return game.

YEAR   AGE BASE SALARY SIGNING CAP HIT DEAD CAP YEARLY CASH
2021 Contract details by year 22 $660,000 $1,834,456 $2,494,456 $13,719,508 $7,997,824($7,997,824)  
2022 Contract details by year 23 $784,431 - $784,430 $784,431 $784,430($8,782,254)
2023 Contract details by year 24 $1,907,228 - $1,907,228 $4,438,070 $1,907,228($10,689,482)
2024 Contract details by year 25 $2,530,842 - $2,530,842 $2,530,842 $2,530,842($13,220,324)
2025 Contract details by year 26 - - - - -

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said, "it will be a gradual process" when asked about working Kadarius Toney into the offense.

Reid also added that Toney "is healthy now" after the second-year receiver reportedly dealt with a hamstring injury for several weeks prior to his departure from New York. Toney's gradual implementation into the Chiefs' offense isn't surprising, as he now looks to familiarize himself with a new scheme, quarterback and playbook. There's no reason to rush Toney into an offense that's currently ranked first in points per game (31.9) and second in passing yards per game (296.0). However, Toney proved to be one of the more explosive receivers in the league during his rookie year and would add another element to the Chiefs' potent offense.

4 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Speaking of no rush, have you seen our DEs? 

It's not going to get fixed this season and will be tough to find Clarks' replacement for the future.  DE is a premium position and the Chiefs will hopefully draft too late to get the "can't miss" guys.  So either the Chiefs find a day two or three diamond, trade up in the first (very expensive) or spend big on a FA in March.  With a need at OT, I'm not sure which way they can go. 

19 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's not going to get fixed this season and will be tough to find Clarks' replacement for the future.  DE is a premium position and the Chiefs will hopefully draft too late to get the "can't miss" guys.  So either the Chiefs find a day two or three diamond, trade up in the first (very expensive) or spend big on a FA in March.  With a need at OT, I'm not sure which way they can go. 

I'd wait another 24 hrs before I'd say that.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

Mahomes has only about 10 more years, if he's healthy.  If we want more championships with him, we need a top FA blind side protector, not a draftee who will take 3-5 years to develop at the NFL level.  Remember how long it took Eric Fisher? 4 years?  We have to protect Mahomes with a guy who has already spent the time to be great. A top FA left tackle is a must.  He has to be good right away. JMO.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Mahomes has only about 10 more years, if he's healthy.  If we want more championships with him, we need a top FA blind side protector, not a draftee who will take 3-5 years to develop at the NFL level.  Remember how long it took Eric Fisher? 4 years?  We have to protect Mahomes with a guy who has already spent the time to be great. A top FA left tackle is a must.  He has to be good right away. JMO.

10 years? He may play till 45 to best Brady.

Last week, the Kansas City Chiefs acquired wide receiver Kadarius Toney in a trade with the New York Giants for a third-round compensatory pick and a sixth-round pick.

But this was not the beginning of the team’s interest in acquiring the wideout. According to Toney, Kansas City’s interest in him dates all the way back to 2021’s pre-draft process. At that time, the Chiefs were coming off a Super Bowl appearance and already had wide receivers Tyreek Hill and Mecole Hardman on the team. Toney seemed to fit right in with what Kansas City was seeking at the position.

Unfortunately, some things are not meant to be — at least not on the timeline we expect. Desperately needing to overhaul their offensive line, the Chiefs traded their first-round draft pick to the Baltimore Ravens for starting left tackle Orlando Brown Jr. This effectively ended any chance of acquiring Toney in the draft.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/11/2/23437130/chiefs-interested-in-kadarius-toney-since-before-draft

In New York, Toney ended up having an up-and-down tenure that was marred by a string of injuries that kept him off the field for a total of 12 games through his first two NFL seasons. But despite the injury history, Chiefs general manager Brett Veach remained steadfast in his admiration for Toney’s playmaking ability.

Even before the season began, the GM was talking to quarterback Patrick Mahomes about the Giants wideout  “It was something that he actually approached me about during the off-season,” Mahomes revealed, “so he’s kind of kept me in the loop on everything. It didn’t work out then.”

Mahomes said that as the season progressed, he didn’t think that much about Toney; he was focused on the guys the team had been able to acquire.

But if you are a Chiefs fan, you know that once Veach sets his mind on a player, he will stop at nothing until they are wearing a Kansas City uniform.

By the time the Chiefs defeated the San Francisco 49ers in Week 7, Veach was well into making a deal for the former first-round player.

“He (Veach) came to me,” recalled Mahomes, “I think after the San Fran game — and kind of came back and said this might happen during the bye. Luckily for us, it did happen — and we were able to get another talented playmaker in the receiving room.”

Toney is grateful for being somewhere where he is appreciated — which wasn’t always the case in New York.

“It feels good [to be] wanted by a team,” he noted on Wednesday. “I feel like this is a great opportunity for everybody — I mean, a fresh start, for me to be able to step into the AFC and show what I can do.”

Why KC Chiefs trading for WR Kadarius Toney is a good move

When talking about the risk versus reward for Kadarius Toney, people are having a hard time reasoning with the Chiefs giving up a 3rd round pick (and the 6th but that’s far less important). Well, let’s start by looking at general manager Brett Veach’s draft history in the 3rd round.

Brett Veach 3rd round picks:
  • 2018 – Derrick Nnadi and Dorian O’Daniel
  • 2019 – Khalen Saunders
  • 2020 – Lucas Niang
  • 2021 – None
  • 2022 – Leo Chenal

Really, there are no big hits there. Obviously, it’s early on Leo Chenal but it’s pretty evident that there is a talent drop-off after the second round in most drafts. Brett Veach himself has even said that before. Given this information, it is understandable why the Chiefs think Kadarius Toney or Toney’s ceiling is much better than whatever that future 3rd round pick was going to be. Ultimately, the 3rd round pick isn’t that big of a loss.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/11/03/kc-chiefs-why-kadarius-toney-trade-worth-making/