Chiefs trade Fenton

Falcons acquired CB Rashad Fenton from the Chiefs for a conditional seventh-round pick.

Fenton had played 74% of the snaps in every game from Week 1 to Week 5 and had 500+ defensive snaps in each of the last two seasons for Kansas City, but he was replaced by their youth at cornerback. The Falcons, badly in need of depth at the position with Casey Hayward and A.J. Terrell dealing with injuries, get someone with some actual experience to help bolster the position. This reads like a decent move for Atlanta, though Fenton is a pure rental as he's in the final season of his rookie deal.

Just now, AFCWEST said:

Falcons acquired CB Rashad Fenton from the Chiefs for a conditional seventh-round pick.

Fenton had played 74% of the snaps in every game from Week 1 to Week 5 and had 500+ defensive snaps in each of the last two seasons for Kansas City, but he was replaced by their youth at cornerback. The Falcons, badly in need of depth at the position with Casey Hayward and A.J. Terrell dealing with injuries, get someone with some actual experience to help bolster the position. This reads like a decent move for Atlanta, though Fenton is a pure rental as he's in the final season of his rookie deal.

A 7th round pick? Hardly seems worth trading him. He was at least some depth. 

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

a 9 game rental...... got something at least, as he seems to have really fallen off.

Was a little cap savings and a 7th worth depending on rookies in the Big Games? He must have pissed someone off. Chiefs have no depth at CB.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Was a little cap savings and a 7th worth depending on rookies in the Big Games? He must have pissed someone off. Chiefs have no depth at CB.

Seems so. Fenton was becoming a liability and with the depth, plus playing time the rookies had with Mcduffie out too, we are good on depth. Still have Williams, Lammons, Sneed, Mcduffie, Watson and am I missing one I cant think of? I believe 5 or 6 CB is fine for depth.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Seems so. Fenton was becoming a liability and with the depth, plus playing time the rookies had with Mcduffie out too, we are good on depth. Still have Williams, Lammons, Sneed, Mcduffie, Watson and am I missing one I cant think of? I believe 5 or 6 CB is fine for depth.

Most are unproven and have no play off experience.. Even McDuffie has played only 20 snaps. Sneed is the only KNOWN. Not sure there is any real depth. But what do I really know?   Veach has it figured out.

6 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

Move was to clear cap space.  Saved the Chiefs 1.4 million.  Gonna use that for OBJ.....

Maybe but there really is no clear role for OBJ on this team unless injuries show up. Coming off ACL how can you be sure what you are really getting. No training camp etc. I think KC made their receiver deal already.

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Maybe but there really is no clear role for OBJ on this team unless injuries show up. Coming off ALC how can you be sure what you are really getting. No training camp etc. I think KC made their receiver deal already.

same can be said about an ACL injury

Chiefs activated CB Trent McDuffie (hamstring) from injured reserve.

McDuffie was designated for return on October 12th and has been practicing with the Chiefs ever since. The 2022 first-round pick was injured in the team's Week 1 win over the Cardinals, but will now make his long-awaited return to the field. McDuffie could have a chance to suit up for the Chiefs' Week 9 matchup against the Titans.

Chiefs need some roster space for injured guys coming back. That may have played into this decision.

With Fenton missing the last two games due to a hamstring injury — as well as McDuffie not being quite ready yet — the Chiefs had to turn to rookie fourth-rounder Joshua Williams, who showed he could serve the team as ample depth in the case of another injury.

But the key to the deal might have very well been rookie seventh-rounder Nazeeh Johnson, who the Chiefs added to their active roster in late September. Chris Lammons is important to the team’s special teams unit (he’s played 75% of special teams snaps on the season), so clearing McDuffie’s spot may have meant the Chiefs had to risk Johnson through waivers. There is a good chance he would have been claimed.

Seeing the writing on the wall, the Chiefs traded Fenton to the Falcons, created a little cap room and can now develop four cornerbacks on rookie contracts on their active roster. We’ll get further clarity on the move when defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo speaks to the media on Thursday.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/11/1/23435559/chiefs-trade-rashad-fenton-to-falcons-activate-trent-mcduffie

This has to be 99% to clear cap space. Fenton has regressed greatly, mostly due to injury, but still seems weird to let him walk for a 7th.

i know everyone has mentally plugged mcduffy into lock down corner status, but lets not forget he as played about 40 total snaps and suffered a concussion and a bad hamstring.

watson seems solid, but williams seems mehhhhhh so far. I can only assume they have a couple guys on the practice squad they feel are similar skill to fenton

On 11/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, AFCWEST said:

Maybe but there really is no clear role for OBJ on this team unless injuries show up. Coming off ACL how can you be sure what you are really getting. No training camp etc. I think KC made their receiver deal already.

most likely....  but sometimes its better to play chess than checkers.  Maybe we make a strong play for OBJ so Buffalo, Philly, Dallas, etc don't get him.  I kind of think that's why RoJo is sitll on the practice squad.  To prevent someone else from using him against us.  We'll most likely find out this week as it sounds like he's about to get cleared to play.

And honestly, I'm kind of hoping the chiefs go after Suh anyway.  WRs just seem to take too long to get used to Andy Reid offenses.  

Definately yes to Suh! 

I'm so tired of seeing Nnadi get pushed back 5 yds every single play. He gets the double team but doesn't do shit for holding up, shedding or spliting the double team.

He is garbage and THE MAIN reason our run defense sucks when he's in. Last nite, everytime he was in the game they ran right at him...EVERYTIME.