https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/11/07/long-term-lessons-learned-chiefs-win-titans/

The Mahomes Magic is Real

We’re not sure how many times we say the same thing, but it bears repeating because, on Sunday night, the difference between winning and losing could be spelled “M-A-H-O-M-E-S.”

Chiefs Kingdom has seen this time and again over the last five years and it’s still somehow a surprise the way that Mahomes works his magic. We’re like children whose jaws keep dropping when watching the coin disappear behind our ears, or gasping “wow” every time the card we picked is drawn from the deck. The Magic of Mahomes has brought one Lombardi Trophy to Kansas City already and it fuels the annual hopes for more.

You could see Mahomes conjure one incredible opportunity after another in primetime against a strong Titans defense. It was the desperate underhand toss to Travis Kelce to keep a drive alive. It was definitely seen in the monumental late-game scrambles that moved the chains when no one could create any separation down the field. It was in the hot-knife-through-butter ease with which the Chiefs’ offense moved so early in the game. Mahomes endured a lot of frustrating moments from his teammates (more on this later) but stayed buoyant enough to carry them in the end.

On Sunday night, the distance between Mahomes and Malik Willis was the primary point of analysis coming into the game and it proved to be the deciding factor in the end.

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/11/07/long-term-lessons-learned-chiefs-win-titans/

The Mahomes Magic is Real

We’re not sure how many times we say the same thing, but it bears repeating because, on Sunday night, the difference between winning and losing could be spelled “M-A-H-O-M-E-S.”

Chiefs Kingdom has seen this time and again over the last five years and it’s still somehow a surprise the way that Mahomes works his magic. We’re like children whose jaws keep dropping when watching the coin disappear behind our ears, or gasping “wow” every time the card we picked is drawn from the deck. The Magic of Mahomes has brought one Lombardi Trophy to Kansas City already and it fuels the annual hopes for more.

You could see Mahomes conjure one incredible opportunity after another in primetime against a strong Titans defense. It was the desperate underhand toss to Travis Kelce to keep a drive alive. It was definitely seen in the monumental late-game scrambles that moved the chains when no one could create any separation down the field. It was in the hot-knife-through-butter ease with which the Chiefs’ offense moved so early in the game. Mahomes endured a lot of frustrating moments from his teammates (more on this later) but stayed buoyant enough to carry them in the end.

On Sunday night, the distance between Mahomes and Malik Willis was the primary point of analysis coming into the game and it proved to be the deciding factor in the end.

Read a take that Mahomes is Michael Jordan. NO doubt. Never seen anything like this guy. Clutch Clutch. Clutch. Fearless. Amazing Leader. 

Thanks you Mahomes for giving KC a chance every game and every situation. 

Lets make this Mahomes appreciation week. Whats your take on the most exciting and clutch  NFL player we have seen in a very long time? 

50 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Read a take that Mahomes is Michael Jordan. NO doubt. Never seen anything like this guy. Clutch Clutch. Clutch. Fearless. Amazing Leader. 

Lets make this Mahomes appreciation week. Whats your take on the most exciting and clutch  NFL player we have seen in a very long time? 

I'll go with that.  He did it with his arm, heart, brain, and legs (he was the only one on the whole team who had legs).  We really had no business winning that game, but Mahomes at the end didn't give a shit about that.  Have to give the Titans (and refs) credit, though.  And Simmons really IS a beast.  Trying to get that two point conversion three times was insane.  I have to give some credit to CEH for clawing his way through that line  after failing all night long.  We do have a very "gritty" team (and sometimes "grimey," too}.  Also, where were the refs when our receivers were getting mauled? 

2 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I'll go with that.  He did it with his arm, heart, brain, and legs (he was the only one on the whole team who had legs).  We really had no business winning that game, but Mahomes at the end didn't give a shit about that.  Have to give the Titans (and refs) credit, though.  And Simmons really IS a beast.  Trying to get that two point conversion three times was insane.  I have to give some credit to CEH for clawing his way through that line  after failing all night long.  We do have a very "gritty" team (and sometimes "grimey," too.  Also, where were the refs when our receivers were getting mauled? 

Mahomes is so CLUTCH. 13 second 18 seconds whatever. Even Reid went for on 4th near the goal line in overtime rather than kick the field goal. Its hard to believe what he does week after week. Almost never fumbles! 

Mahomes explained what he noticed on what ended up being the first true step of the Chiefs’ miraculous Sunday night comeback.

“I definitely saw a lane to get it close enough that I thought we’d be able to go for it,” he said. “When you’re in that situation, you know that if you can get it to a fourth-and-5, fourth-and-4, Coach Reid’s probably going to give you a chance there. And then as I was running, I felt the – I think it was the safety — kind of over-pursuing so I kind of shot my shot and went out there. I actually tried to get outside again which didn’t work out for me; I’m not fast enough. But it was a good play and like I said we just battled at the end of the day. It wasn’t like we were designing it up we were just going out there and trying to make some stuff happen.”

After a misfire to tight end Noah Gray, Mahomes threw three straight first downs to Marquez Valdes Scantling, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Jerick McKinnon. The Chiefs dialed up McKinnon the next two plays, but they were only able to gain a yard, bringing up third-and-9 at the Titans’ 14.

Mahomes glanced to his left and then saw nothing but green grass to his right. He had done it before against the Titans on a much bigger stage — why not get to the end zone? Mahomes juked defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons — who had a shot — and then barreled his way through two more defenders for the touchdown.

A few penalties (of many on the night) later, and Mahomes scrambled left for a two-point conversion to tie the game.

“[The Titans] had good plans,” said Mahomes. “They did a good job. The touchdown run? I probably could’ve just thrown it to JuJu, but I had like fully committed to run at that point.”

Smith-Schuster saw what Mahomes saw.

“I made eye contact with him, I thought he was going to throw it, but he just ran it in,” said Smith-Schuster. “A touchdown is a touchdown at the end of the day. I knew it was man [coverage] — and at that point, I was just trying to get a block. I got a block for him, he made a guy miss, scored and then came back on the two-point conversion and kind of did the same thing on the left side. Making blocks, man.”

“We were just battling at the end of the game,” added Mahomes. “We were just trying to find a way to win, and our defense kept us in the game long enough to do that.”

“[Kelce’s] the first read — but how they were playing, I thought they were going to kind of double him. So I looked to Skyy [Moore] and they went with Skyy. So I threw it late. That’s what makes Travis so great: I threw it late — he probably had a chance to get picked — but he came back to the ball and made a big-time catch. For him to still be out there it’s like every single play and battling, it was a big-time game for him — and he made a lot of big plays there at the end.”

Later in overtime, Mahomes turned to his much-less-talked-about tight end, Noah Gray, for a 27-yard gain to get the Chiefs in field-goal range. Gray high-pointed the ball, tipped it up and came down with it in what had to be the biggest moment of his young, two-year career.

“It’s funny,” started Mahomes. “I think I said it in training camp: I feel like I don’t target Noah enough because a lot of times plays are called either to him or he’s one of the options I can give him a chance on. And it seems like I don’t throw it to him. He’s always open — and so as the season’s going on and as our careers go on I want to give him more and more chances, because I think he can be a big part of this offense.

“That whole tight end room has been great for us this season. But for [Gray] to make that catch in that moment? I mean, that was a tough catch that he made; that was a big one for us. That was probably the reason that we were able to get down there and win.”

Somehow, someway, using his full collection of pass-catchers to the tune of a career-high 68 passes on the night, Mahomes and the Chiefs willed their way to victory.

38 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

A few penalties (of many on the night) later, and Mahomes scrambled left for a two-point conversion to tie the game.

“[The Titans] had good plans,” said Mahomes. “They did a good job. The touchdown run? I probably could’ve just thrown it to JuJu, but I had like fully committed to run at that point.”

Smith-Schuster saw what Mahomes saw.

“I made eye contact w.ith him, I thought he was going to throw it, but he just ran it in,” said Smith-Schuster. “A touchdown is a touchdown at the end of the day. I knew it was man [coverage] — and at that point, I was just trying to get a block. I got a block for him, he made a guy miss, scored and then came back on the two-point conversion and kind of did the same thing on the left side. Making blocks, man.”

“We were just battling at the end of the game,” added Mahomes. “We were just trying to find a way to win, and our defense kept us in the game long enough to do that.”

I saw CEH cross the goal line and thought it was him getting the 2 point conversion, so I missed that completely. It must  have been a fake handoff, and it sure fooled me.  I thought that it was CEH who scored.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

My take is he is an HOFer right now. I've been posting facts on why he is in the IF thread. xen added a couple more above. 

33 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

My take is he is an HOFer right now. I've been posting facts on why he is in the IF thread. xen added a couple more above. 

He is so clutch. I wish I had a better word because clutch does not seem big enough. Amazing ability to process things so quickly. Move on to the next play in seconds.

Mahomes then led a drive for the game-winning field goal in overtime and his ability to turn nothing into something left Titans defensive tackle Jeffery Simmons marveling at the quarterback’s ability.

“The play is never over with that guy,” Simmons said, via Vahe Gregorian of the Kansas City Star.

The Titans made life difficult for the Chiefs for most of Sunday night, but Mahomes was able to pull out a win and add another page to the remarkable record book he’s writing in the NFL.

Jeffrey Simmons on Patrick Mahomes: The play is never over with that guy originally appeared on Pro Football Talk

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Id say a cross between Magic n Michael.  The way he gets the ball to some of his targets is wizardry at times.  Same way Magic used to do with the Lakers.   The competitive drive and imposing their will on another team same way Jordan would do.    

12 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

As great a passer as Mahomes is, Titan fans will always remember the soul crushing runs last night and the playoffs a few years ago. 

They will remember that and everything else.  This is truly the golden age for the Kingdom.