10. In the pre-Mahomes era dating back to 1960, the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs had five 12-plus win seasons. TOTAL. Mahomes has won 12 or more games in all five seasons as a starter. It took him half a decade to match 60 years of success. I got down on my knees and prayed for a homegrown franchise quarterback for damn near 40 years. Sure most fellow Chiefs fans felt the same way. The universe responded by sending us the Michael effing Jordan of football. Sometimes you have to pinch yourself and ask, is this real, or am I living in a simulation? Because it’s almost too good to be true. Almost.

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2022/12/28/arrowhead-autopsy-top-10-takeaways-seahawks-chiefs/

1 minute ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Then Alex taught him for a year

I think Alex may have taught him about pro football life in general. Which is good but doubt Alex could help him much with on-field play. "The check down guy is your friend" "When you're down and need a touchdown and it's 3rd & 12, throw a swing pass behind the LOS and hope the RB can break 7 tackles to get the first down" and "Most importantly never try to win a game, try not to lose it!" 

10 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I think Alex may have taught him about pro football life in general. Which is good but doubt Alex could help him much with on-field play. "The check down guy is your friend" "When you're down and need a touchdown and it's 3rd & 12, throw a swing pass behind the LOS and hope the RB can break 7 tackles to get the first down" and "Most importantly never try to win a game, try not to lose it!" 

You are a tough guy to impress with a little bullshit. 🖤 🤠

8 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Exactly. He saw Mahomes' capabilities in practice and was fighting to hang on to the job. But the things that make Mahomes great, can't be taught. 

I am super critical of the Chiefs and especially Mahomes.  Winning has made me bitter when they don’t produce because I’m spoiled.  I’ll admit that.  

This weekend, my wife’s cousin, who works for ESPN, told me that I have no idea how great Patrick really is.  He is one of the people behind the scenes pulling, slicing, and editing video content that we see.  He said the things he sees from the archives are just mind boggling.

17 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Exactly. He saw Mahomes' capabilities in practice and was fighting to hang on to the job. But the things that make Mahomes great, can't be taught. 

I don't think Alex was trying to save his job.  When a team trades off that much draft capital to get a first round QB, the job is already gone.  Alex Smith and Reid handled the situation perfectly, especially compared to Green Bay (twice).  Would Mahomes have been successful as an instant starter?  Maybe, but doubt he would have won more games as a rookie than Smith did that year.  It was Sutton's defense that held back the Chiefs in 2017.

12 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Would Mahomes have been successful as an instant starter? 

Absolutely

13 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe, but doubt he would have won more games as a rookie than Smith did that year.

Knowing what we know now, he would have. We were 10-6. 

18 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It was Sutton's defense that held back the Chiefs in 2017.

We gave up 22 only scored 21 vs TENN. Knocked out in Wild Card

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

When a team trades off that much draft capital to get a first round QB, the job is already gone.

We knew this when we moved up to 10 to get him. I was talking about him hanging on the job that year. 

1 minute ago, azchief21 said:

Absolutely

We knew this when we moved up to 10 to get him. I was talking about him hanging on the job that year. 

The Mahomes of year two was probably much better than the Mahomes of rookie year.  No way to prove it, but aside from Marino, not too many light it up in year one.  Look at Burrows, Lawrence, Tua, and Herbert as modern examples.  Now I'll admit that Mahomes would have had a better supporting cast than most of the above, but will stand on my contention that the year on the bench made him a better career.  

He mi

14 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Absolutely

Smith was 9-6.  Mahomes started the last game against the Broncos and won.  I was always a fan of Alex, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'd rather have a rookie Mahomes in the Titans playoff game than Alex Smith.  One of them is that guy.  One of them is not that guy.  

8 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

He mi

Smith was 9-6.  Mahomes started the last game against the Broncos and won.  I was always a fan of Alex, but there's no doubt in my mind that I'd rather have a rookie Mahomes in the Titans playoff game than Alex Smith.  One of them is that guy.  One of them is not that guy.  

This is what I'm trying to say. You're more succinct. Mahomes is generational. Smith is run of the mill. Rookie year. 5th year. Mahomes is better than Smith. No slight to Smith, Mahomes is better than everybody. . 

Something i haven't seen mentioned is Mahomes passed 5000 yds this past week making it the 2nd time. In his career and he did it in 16 games.  Brees and Brady are the only QBs with multiple 5000 yd seasons.  Bradys second one came last year in game 17.  If it was still a 16 game season he would have been 10 yds shy.  

On 1/2/2023 at 12:10 AM, Calichief said:

Amazing!  And he did it only hitting singles and doubles this year.  I guess we can excuse him for one bad half.  He is the Muhammad Ali of football. "The Greatest."  I guess we could say that Kelce has helped him a bit, though.