Optimism and possible explanation

5 hours ago, reesebobby said:

The point is how much resources should we devote to a project that doesn't really pay back in wins.  The Jags and Raiders are led by 1st round running backs.  Henry is a 2nd rounder.  You didn't mention the Browns, but Chubb is a 1st rounder on a 3-5 team that runs the ball well.  The Bears leading rusher is their 1st round quarterback.  It's not really that they can't have good pieces on a bad team, it's that they are devoting resources to being good at something that really doesn't pay back in wins.  All of them have linemen that are better run blockers than in pass protection.  It shows up in their sack percentages in each and every case.  If we really focus on becoming a top 10 rushing team, we need to run 7.50 yards per quarter more.  About 3 additional yards per drive in rushing. I just don't think you should devote much time and effort to taking the ball out of Mahomes hands.  

I think the issue is effectiveness in running.   As pass happy as we are our run plays seems pretty predictable and while defenses are focusing on trying to prevent deep passes we should be more effective and efficient in our runs.  I blame the play calling and the poor running back decisions.  Some of the play calls suck and sometimes there is a grand canyon cut back hole and our running backs (all of them except McKinnon occassionally) run into the backside of the lineman for little to no gain.  I agree Reese, we don't need to run just to get the numbers balanced.  Mahomes will make more out of 10-15 more opportunities than any rb on our current roster.   But when we do run so little we have to be better at it.    

17 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think the issue is effectiveness in running.   As pass happy as we are our run plays seems pretty predictable and while defenses are focusing on trying to prevent deep passes we should be more effective and efficient in our runs.  I blame the play calling and the poor running back decisions.  Some of the play calls suck and sometimes there is a grand canyon cut back hole and our running backs (all of them except McKinnon occassionally) run into the backside of the lineman for little to no gain.  I agree Reese, we don't need to run just to get the numbers balanced.  Mahomes will make more out of 10-15 more opportunities than any rb on our current roster.   But when we do run so little we have to be better at it.    

I agree with the statement that " some of the play calls suck." I hate the delayed handoff out of the shotgun. It just seems like hitting the hole quickly should be a thing. 

5 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Those teams drafted running backs high (we did too and we all agree it was a mistake).  They spend a higher percentage of cap dollars on the run game.  Henry makes 9.3 million.  Chubb and Hunt combine for 12 million.  They use draft picks for linemen that fit the mold, superior run blockers, less good at pass blocking.    They devote more practice time and playbook time to the running game.  If one can consider a play a "resource" they are devoting those resources to running the ball.  We are good at passing, because that's our focus in free agency and trades.  We pay and extend those guys.  It's just a focus of the organization and that's where we have used our resources more.  

It's not to say you can't do better than we do in the running game.  We can and we should.  But our goal should be to win games and I don't think the Raiders, Bears and Jags are the place to look for advice.  

I don't care if the Chiefs have a running game in general, but to not be able to make a third and one or punch it in from the goal line is disturbing.  There's one or two times in nearly every game where making that short gain is crucial.  Those deep handoffs for no gain are getting old.