Unsung Heroes Thread

lol, I know you're mocking Cali, but Abdullah is anything but a backup. He wasn't a backup in Minnesota and he isn't one here. He spent a year getting back into football last season, now he's back to form. He's not just a starter, he's a really good one. Abdullah, literally, makes Berry expendable if the Chiefs wanted to go that route. However, Berry and Abdullah on the same field has been a very good combination. Abdullah is outstanding in slot coverage, which is really something for a safety, and provides Sutton with tons of options. Abdullah is the best defensive back overall for KC on the field every week.

Yea. 75 percent here wanted to know why he didn't start last year if he was so good... Blah blah blah. Professional coaches make mistakes. I think Lewis had that job because of the previous regimes talk about "qb of the defense" crap. Players probably liked a guy like him and that went far with the new coaches. All I know is, that guy was the worst DB we've ever let start over a span of time. I'll also blame sutton for not looking at old game tape of Lewis. Abdullah started, and promptly picked off luck twice and has been balling since. We've not given up any over the top bombs yet either. He came to our team with high expectations. Before leaving on his mission he was a good player.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was going to nominate you as the board's shrink/quack, but thought that might come across the wrong way for real psychologists/psychiatrists.

:lol: :lol:

Its a good thing. A pathologist should never attempt to play psychiatrist anyway. Of course, I could always do an autopsy on you if worse came to worse.

Yea. 75 percent here wanted to know why he didn't start last year if he was so good... Blah blah blah. Professional coaches make mistakes. I think Lewis had that job because of the previous regimes talk about "qb of the defense" crap. Players probably liked a guy like him and that went far with the new coaches. All I know is, that guy was the worst DB we've ever let start over a span of time. I'll also blame sutton for not looking at old game tape of Lewis. Abdullah started, and promptly picked off luck twice and has been balling since. We've not given up any over the top bombs yet either. He came to our team with high expectations. Before leaving on his mission he was a good player.

Coaches don't make decisions based on the opinions of previous regimes, unless they are idiots.  Kendrick Lewis started last season because they thought he was better than Husain Abdullah.  Clearly they were wrong, and so was I.  HA is much better than I gave him credit for.

However he hardly makes Berry "expendable", crow.  

Coaches don't make decisions based on the opinions of previous regimes, unless they are idiots.  Kendrick Lewis started last season because they thought he was better than Husain Abdullah.  Clearly they were wrong, and so was I.  HA is much better than I gave him credit for.

However he hardly makes Berry "expendable", crow.  

My opinion is that Berry is somewhat overrated. He's a good player and one of the top 10 safeties in the league right now, but not the All-World type he's made out to be. I don't want him to go, but, yes, Abdullah sure doesn't make me miss Berry at all. The only knock on Abdullah is his age. At this point Berry can be termed a long-term keep, whereas Abdullah only has a few years left. Berry makes a damn hefty salary. Kam Chancellor is just as good and makes nowhere near what Berry does. Hell, Chancellor still won't make in 2017, his highest salary year, what Berry is scheduled to make next year. Paying a safety the type of jack Berry gets paid is ridiculous. His second contract will have to be more team friendly for me to believe he's worth it, because I don't think he's worth 11+ million this year.

I think Berry would be all world free safety

With Abdullah playing well in Berry's role and Berry's injury sheet growing longer every year, it might be a wise investment by the Chiefs to move Berry to the single-high spot.

With Abdullah playing well in Berry's role and Berry's injury sheet growing longer every year, it might be a wise investment by the Chiefs to move Berry to the single-high spot.

I think Parker is filling berrys role. Abdullah is the free. Abdullah took over for Lewis I'm pretty sure.

I think Parker is filling berrys role. Abdullah is the free. Abdullah took over for Lewis I'm pretty sure.

I might be mistaken (it's always possible) but I swear Abdullah moved to SS to fill Berry's spot and Parker moved from CB to FS. In any event, I"ll paay more attention tomorrow and either way it has been working. :D

We're 2-3 -- just a reminder.  Things ain't working all that well.  When EB returns, Parker goes back to corner.  

Berry wasn't paid based on his position, but on his draft position in the old draft system's ridiculous pay scale.  I'm sure they can extend him to a suitable contract, if they want.  They should.  He is NOT overrated.  He is not used as a ballhawk and he still excels.  

Have him drop ten lbs, move him to FS and you'll forget Husain Abdullah ever existed. 

We're 2-3 -- just a reminder. Things ain't working all that well. When EB returns, Parker goes back to corner.

Berry wasn't paid based on his position, but on his draft position in the old draft system's ridiculous pay scale. I'm sure they can extend him to a suitable contract, if they want. They should. He is NOT overrated. He is not used as a ballhawk and he still excels.

Have him drop ten lbs, move him to FS and you'll forget Husain Abdullah ever existed.

Absolutely. This has always been my stance.

I am not sold on Berry at all.  He has been in the Hot Tub quite a bit and his cap hit is significant.

He could be spending his last season in KC.

w

Frankly, letting Berry escape KC is a fine way to degrade our team. I think it would be insane.

I am not sold on Berry at all.  He has been in the Hot Tub quite a bit and his cap hit is significant.

w

He missed all of 2011 and that was it until this season.  He hardly qualifies as injury prone.  He's only missed two more games than Jamaal Charles during his career.

w

YEP! as I said in another post . Dump Berry sign Houston. Of the two Houston has proven himself more of an impact and $$$ better spent.

cant pay both Berry & Houston .. you pick who's the bigger impact player

why not?  Berry's cap hit next season is comparable to Bowe's or Sean Smith's.  I'd rather keep Berry than Fasano, Avery and Vance Walker all together.  You can throw out Joe Mays too.

Houston is a player that other teams have to plan around.  Can't say the same for Berry.  Even when Houston doesn't get a sack or pressure on the QB, he makes the rest of the defense better.  I think the Chiefs can find a way to keep both, but Houston ranks with Charles and Smith when it comes to impact.

YEP! as I said in another post . Dump Berry sign Houston. Of the two Houston has proven himself more of an impact and $$$ better spent.

I didn't know that the rules allowed only one or the other. In that case, keep Houston. Somehow, though, I thought we had the cap money to keep all our best proven players. My mistake. Shows what kind of GM I'd make.

A guy drafted in 2010 who became a perennial all-pro and is now an ancient 26 year old is definitely somebody who is expendable, especially when a high ankle sprain keeps him in in the hot tub for several weeks. With your kind of thinking, we would become doormats again. But at least we wouldn't have a roster full of washed up, overrated guys in their fifth year of decrepitude. We need to send that Berry some ex-lax and a few knitting needles.

why not?  Berry's cap hit next season is comparable to Bowe's or Sean Smith's.  I'd rather keep Berry than Fasano, Avery and Vance Walker all together.  You can throw out Joe Mays too.

Exactly. Oh, wait a sec. He was drafted by Pioli. Can't have that!!

Archived