23 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We've been on the same page.  Inexperience at key positions does not lead to superbowls.  Possible but highly unlikely this year. I still think we should be looking at 2023.  It has been nice that we have squeaked by many teams enough to have our current record, but some of those were games that Mahomes literally carried on his own back.  What a great core we now have.  The future is bright.  But this year is not the time to be looking for a superbowl victory. As long as Veach pays Jones and Sneed and a couple of other key guys, we are good.

Yup. It's pretty amazing that we still might get the #1 seed going into the playoffs!! 

43 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

My preseason predictions agreed that this is not the year. 2023 and forward is looking good. This year is a bit of a reset. 

Does not mean throw in the towel this year? The best team does not always win the SB. Chiefs did not play PM much at all year one and that worked just fine. Having better depth at corner and safety would not stunt these guys growth. Is it possible that letting a 4th round player with potential upside crash and burn will stunt his growth? Do you really want a 7th round guy replacing Sneed or McDuffie in the playoffs?  To me that is throwing in the towel. 

we have a 7th round guy who jus beat out a 1rst rnd guy after having more playing time...jus saying also had a 7h round pick and who prospect scored to be a Candidate For Bottom Of Roster Or Practice Squad guy  save the day with an  INT TD vs Chargers.(Jaylen Watson)

So  never said replacing but if that's what you got that's what you got and no its not throwing in the towel. JMO but if the coaching staff thinking that they will get better with more playing time then thats what they need and that is what they are getting tool ate to do anything about it now and I'm not whining about the past Iron is forged in fire.

16 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

we have a 7th round guy who jus beat out a 1rst rnd guy after having more playing time...jus saying also had a 7h round pick and who prospect scored to be a Candidate For Bottom Of Roster Or Practice Squad guy  save the day with an  INT TD vs Chargers.(Jaylen Watson)

So  never said replacing but if that's what you got that's what you got and no its not throwing in the towel. JMO but if the coaching staff thinking that they will get better with more playing time then thats what they need and that is what they are getting tool ate to do anything about it now and I'm not whining about the past Iron is forged in fire.

Yes he made ONE PLAY. To some extent that is a bit lucky. So if you are ok with a 7th round pick, that has not played well sense then, in the playoffs due to injury of a starter thats ok. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect yours. For me its taking a real gamble. If my team is 6-6 maybe not so much. KC is playoff bound and 9-3. Lack of depth concerns me a bit.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Yes he made ONE PLAY. To some extent that is a bit lucky. So if you are ok with a 7th round pick, that has not played well sense then, in the playoffs due to injury of a starter thats ok. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect yours. For me its taking a real gamble. If my team is 6-6 maybe not so much. KC is playoff bound and 9-3. Lack of depth concerns me a bit.

I'd rather be lucky than good most times

10 hours ago, artsy said:

Yup. It's pretty amazing that we still might get the #1 seed going into the playoffs!! 

It is truly amazing.   One of the more amazing things to watch are the bi-polar reactions seen in these threads from week to week, from the greatest show on turf, to the bungling underperforming losers.

Spags: " No Blitz It No Biscuit".  AFCWEST

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/12/23504947/chiefs-broncos-5-things-we-learned-week-14

I think the frustrating thing about the stat line is that the Kansas City defensive line is leaps and bounds better than the Denver offensive line — so the Chiefs didn’t need to blitz to get to the quarterback. Watching the game, it felt like Kansas City was winning its one-on-one matchups.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo just can't help himself.

His blitz-obsessed scheme works well against lowly teams like the Broncos. But if you try to live by the blitz against good teams in the playoffs, you’re going to leave your young cornerbacks on an island — where they will be burned down the sidelines. A couple of times during Sunday’s game, we saw Denver wide receiver Jerry Jeudy do exactly that.

In Denver, the defense was good enough. But in the playoffs, good enough won’t be good enough

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Spags: " No Blitz It No Biscuit".  AFCWEST

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/12/23504947/chiefs-broncos-5-things-we-learned-week-14

I think the frustrating thing about the stat line is that the Kansas City defensive line is leaps and bounds better than the Denver offensive line — so the Chiefs didn’t need to blitz to get to the quarterback. Watching the game, it felt like Kansas City was winning its one-on-one matchups.

Unfortunately, the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo just can't help himself.

His blitz-obsessed scheme works well against lowly teams like the Broncos. But if you try to live by the blitz against good teams in the playoffs, you’re going to leave your young cornerbacks on an island — where they will be burned down the sidelines. A couple of times during Sunday’s game, we saw Denver wide receiver Jerry Jeudy do exactly that.

In Denver, the defense was good enough. But in the playoffs, good enough won’t be good enough

I believe that Spag's best years came when he had elite players all across the defensive line.  If that front 4 can't get it done his D sucks.  We are in year 4 of experiencing this exact thing.  Did we need younger faster better secondary? Of course but it won't matter if our front 4 can't get home consistently vs good olines.   Only Chris Jones checks that box and we are wasting his career by not getting him some legit help.  Karlaftis might develop into that guy but he isn't there now.    The stats would make you think our D dominated yesterday but the reality is they took advantage of some possessions then gave up first downs on 3rd and 20 plus and tds vs an anemic pathetic O.   

Jaylen Watson, Cornerback (Round 7, Pick 243)

After a quiet couple of weeks, Jaylen Watson finally saw consistent playing time on defense. He was picked on as he allowed three catches on three targets for 30 yards, a touchdown, and a 147.9 passer rating across 20 coverage snaps. He also recorded a key defensive stop on Denver running back Latavius Murray on the play before Willie Gay’s pick-6 of Russell Wilson.

The honeymoon phase is over with Jaylen Watson as he’s been atrocious in coverage since September. However, I’m not going to freak out since he is a seventh-round rookie and a little patience is in order.

After a solid month of not missing a tackle, it appears that George Karlaftis’ tackling issues have resurfaced. He’s missed a total of nine tackles this season, tied for fourth most on the team and the most out of any defensive lineman. Per PFF ($), Karlaftis has the fifth-worst tackle grade among all defensive linemen in the NFL, including the ninth-highest missed tackle rate. It’s not all negative as he’s tied for the lead league in batted passes among defensive linemen with six.

Although Karlaftis hasn’t met expectations so far, he’s flashed his potential regularly this year and I fully expect to take a huge step forward next season, and possibly even in or right before the playoffs begin.

Joshua Williams, Cornerback (Round 4, Pick 135)

Sunday was not a fantastic day for cornerback Joshua Williams, but it wasn’t a terrible one either. In 28 coverage snaps, he was targeted five times, allowing three catches, 33 yards, a touchdown, and a 119.2 passer rating.

Despite the middle-of-the-road day for Joshua Williams, he has still surpassed my expectations this season I was anticipating him playing minimal meaningful defensive snaps but he earned himself a consistent role in October. After playing only 17 snaps on defense over the first five weeks of the season, most of which were in garbage time, Williams was thrown into the fire against Buffalo in Week 6 and has been up to the challenge ever since.

Finishing plays

If the safeties aren’t going to have high-upside plays like turnovers, neither can they afford low-downside plays like missed tackles and blown coverages. They haven’t done much of the latter — but according to PFF, Reid is missing tackles at a rate of 17.6%. Thornhill is right behind at 16.4%. Reid’s mark is the eighth-worst among starting NFL safeties. In comparison, safety Tyrann Mathieu had a 10.2% rate in 2021.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/12/14/23505875/film-review-chiefs-defense-missing-playmaking-safeties

The bottom line

Every safety made plays against Denver. This playmaking issue is more of a season-long trend than it was a big issue in this particular game.

Again: this is not to say Reid and Thornhill are failing in their roles — that they unable to fulfill their responsibilities. It’s to point out that over the last three seasons, the Kansas City defense has relied on safeties making big plays. In a game where it matters most, that could be the difference between a win and a loss.