Chiefs Sign Melvin Gordon. Really.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Chiefs are expected to sign Melvin Gordon to their practice squad.

It's unlikely Gordon stays on the practice squad for long, but this at least allows him time to familiarize himself with his new team. After getting cut by the Broncos on November 21st, Gordon went unclaimed on waivers but now finds himself playing for his old AFC West rivals. Rookie Isiah Pacheco has rushed 53 times for 258 yards and one touchdown over the last three weeks and should continue to serve as the team's lead back, but Gordon will likely work his way into the team's RB2 role. Gordon has rushed 90 times for 318 yards and two touchdowns this season while also fumbling five times. He'll be hard to trust for fantasy purposes as long as Pacheco remains healthy and efficient with his opportunities.

This is a head shaker, but there may be a couple of reasons for signing him.  It could mean that CEH is done for the year and the Chiefs want a backup for the three active RBs, especially McKinnon who is the only third down back available and has an injury history.  The Chiefs play the Donks twice in the next six weeks and Gordon is an info source.  Can't think of many other upsides for hiring Gordon.  

My feeling is he won’t see the field. It’s insurance and perhaps some info gathering prior to our two upcoming games against the geldings. 
If we do have an injury, we got some depth. 
I would be shocked if Reid would stick butter hands on the field in front of pacheco, Jones and McKinnon. 

13 hours ago, jetlord said:

This is a head shaker, but there may be a couple of reasons for signing him.  It could mean that CEH is done for the year and the Chiefs want a backup for the three active RBs, especially McKinnon who is the only third down back available and has an injury history.  The Chiefs play the Donks twice in the next six weeks and Gordon is an info source.  Can't think of many other upsides for hiring Gordon.  

^^ this was my thought as well

25 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

So an occasional home run is worth the fumbles?  Will be interesting to see how this plays out. No risk signing.

I didn’t say that. That may be what they’re thinking. We have some great talent scouts and coaches. Maybe they see a simple fix. 

14 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

My feeling is he won’t see the field. It’s insurance and perhaps some info gathering prior to our two upcoming games against the geldings. 
If we do have an injury, we got some depth. 
I would be shocked if Reid would stick butter hands on the field in front of pacheco, Jones and McKinnon. 

Completely agree.  Gordon will be the new Rojo.  Never suiting up unless we lose another RB.