Chiefs Sign Brian Edwards ex Raider

The Kansas City Chiefs made a couple of moves to add veteran offensive players to the practice squad on Monday.

Kansas City Chiefs general manager Brett Veach is shoring up the team’s depth and experience on the offensive side heading into the stretch run of the regular season. On Monday, the Chiefs added running back Melvin Gordon to the practice squad. Then later in the day, NFL reporter Tom Pelissero had word that the Chiefs also signed wide receiver Bryan Edwards as well.

Edwards should be familiar to Chiefs fans as a former member of the Las Vegas Raiders roster, a foe who is familiar given the AFC West rivals play twice each season.

The Raiders selected Edwards in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft after setting several career receiving marks at the University of South Carolina. He profiles as a bigger receiver at 6’3, 212 lbs., but he could never turn the corner for the Raiders and was jettisoned after just two seasons—like most of the draft picks during the Mike Mayock era as general manager.

Edwards showed solid production in his second season with 34 catches for 571 yards and 3 touchdowns in 2020 but the Raiders weren’t interested in investing further in his growth. They traded Edwards before the 2021 season to the Atlanta Falcons for a swap of picks, gaining a fifth in exchange for a seventh-round selection.

Unfortunately for Edwards, his stint in Atlanta wasn’t memorable at all and he was released on November 24 after catching only 3 passes for 15 yards in scant playing time in seven games this  year.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Man, I hope they can get him healed and he does not continue to miss games. Worth the risk to trade for but will suck if he misses 4 games or more every year.

I think Toney will go to IR. Make sure he is 100% for the playoffs.

Most here will not agree but KC has missed Hardman and his speed. His role is critical and he is a playmaker in the red zone. I hope this Edwards move is not due to a more serious Hardman injury.

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

I think Toney will go to IR. Make sure he is 100% for the playoffs.

Most here will not agree but KC has missed Hardman and his speed. His role is critical and he is a playmaker in the red zone. I hope this Edwards move is not due to a more serious Hardman injury.

I will agree the Chiefs miss Hardiman's speed as they do Toney's now but this Edwards signing in no means to my eyes shows that he is meant to take their spot even temporarily. He's a big boy  at 6'2' and 212 with 4.5 40 he certainly is not going to blow any doors off but certainly offers a big target.

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I will agree the Chiefs miss Hardiman's speed as they do Toney's now but this Edwards signing in no means to my eyes shows that he is meant to take their spot even temporarily. He's a big boy  at 6'2' and 212 with 4.5 40 he certainly is not going to blow any doors off but certainly offers a big target.

I did not think you meant that. Just furthering the conversation and agree about the big body receiver.

Kadarius Toney (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday.

Andy Reid called Toney day to day earlier in the week, but the speedy receiver looks to be on the wrong side of questionable for Week 13. Toney went down with the hamstring issue in Week 11 and sat the following week. Reid noted today that Toney is improving, but he likely needs a full practice to have a shot at playing. Skyy Moore could continue playing a meaningful role if Toney is out again. 

AFCWEST Take: Maybe the Giants are going to get the last laugh. Cant depend on this guy? Hope thats not the case.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Is this  signing for the purpose of next year?  The Chiefs will have an inside track on Edwards and have this season to evaluate him as replacement for JuJu, MVS, and/or Hardman. 

Agreed!  Next years FA class is very very thin at WR.  While we all would like to see Juju back he might sign elsewhwere and I think Mecole is gone.  I like that Veach is adding talented guys to the PS to get a jump start of putting together a WR room.  MVS, Moore and Toney are the only locks for next year.  

Kansas City Chiefs WR Mecole Hardman shared a positive update on his recovery from an abdominal ailment that saw him placed on injured reserve in mid-November.

On Monday, Hardman shared an update on Twitter, informing the public that he’s back in the weight room for training after dealing with an abdominal injury.

“Damn it feels good to lift weights again,” he wrote, followed by a teardrop emoji.

Andy Reid called Toney day to day earlier in the week, but the speedy receiver looks to be on the wrong side of questionable for Week 13. Toney went down with the hamstring issue in Week 11 and sat the following week. Reid noted today that Toney is improving, but he likely needs a full practice to have a shot at playing. Skyy Moore could continue playing a meaningful role if Toney is out again. 

AFCWEST Take: Maybe the Giants are going to get the last laugh. Cant depend on this guy? Hope thats not the case.

doubtful as he cost us relatively nothing

6 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

doubtful as he cost us relatively nothing

Huh. Its cost a third and a sixth. Im not saying its not a good deal for KC. Just pointing out you cant help the team from the tub and that was the issue in NY. Chiefs got Pacheco with a 7th. Smith with a 6th. So any pick ,with Veach and Reid, is something and hardly nothing. 

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Huh. Its cost a third and a sixth. Im not saying its not a good deal for KC. Just pointing out you cant help the team from the tub and that was the issue in NY. Chiefs got Pacheco with a 7th. Smith with a 6th. So any pick ,with Veach and Reid, is something and hardly nothing. 

he's been in town for what 4 weeks maybe??Not sure the sky is falling  talk with me next year about this same time.

Kadarius Watkins 

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

he's been in town for what 4 weeks maybe??Not sure the sky is falling  talk with me next year about this same time.

Sky is falling?  Ridiculous. Its a conversation. Its an observation. Its not an opinion, worry or criticism. Toney has played like 5 games in two seasons. Its an observation.

Of course some belong to the SKY IS Falling Club. Im not a member. LOL

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Did they get KPass with a third?  🙂

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Did they get KPass with a third?  🙂

Not sure. I use to think anything past the third was hoping to get lucky. I dont think that now. Veach and Reid have proved that every pick not only counts but should be made with serious considerations. Ill watch the entire draft now.