This will be fun

I brought up the idea of trading Jones and it didn't seem like a popular opinion to say the least mainly because the common answer was "only pass rusher on the team".  I'm not denying that but his likely extension isn't about his past but his future with the team. 

We can all agree that we can't wait to be rid of Frank Clark and the reasons are probably the same:

A.  Decline in play due to illness/age.

B.  Paying his large contract and not living up to it likely caused by A.

Frank Clark is 29 years old right now.

At the start of next season Jones will be 29. 

I'm assuming if they extend him it would be something like at least 4/133 (or 3/100 with 66 if a 3 year extension) added onto his current contract that has a 27mil cap hit.  That would make this contract a 5/160 which would average 32/mil a year just barely above Aaron Donald making him the highest paid DT in the NFL.  That is assuming that he just wants to barely get above Donald and not ask for more.  If we use Donald's contract for the guaranteed money (95 with 65 guaranteed) Jones's 133 would have a guarantee of around 88 mil(66% of 133).  I am not a good cap numbers guy so these are incredibly basic contract numbers but anyway you look at it its a lot of money.  This contract would carry Jones until he is 33.  The question is to me...do we think Jones is immune to age and will not have a decline in play let alone a steep decline in play.  Jones's biggest attribute is his quickness off the ball and ability to shoot a gap on pass protection.  That is also part of his negative because he can and will get pushed around in the run game unless he blows though a gap by a pulling OL like he did Sunday.  He isn't powerful enough to defeat double teams that's obvious. I pulled up a list of 30+ year old DT in the NFL and it does have some familiar names on it such as Donald, Cox, and Heyward but the rest are to be kind journeyman players who are run stuffers who eat up space not exactly what Jones brings to the Chiefs.

What is something most agree on that a team can't do to have continued long term success in the NFL....give out large 3rd contracts to aging players.  We said the same about Hill as a justification for trading him.  Too much money and will be on the wrong side of 30 during the contract. 

It always come back to making impact plays in big games....Jones doesn't do it now and never has even with some talent on the line with him.  If you're the highest paid defensive player on the team let alone in the NFL at your position being double-teamed isn't an excuse.

I hope I'm wrong

comparing Clark and Jones is lunacy, one is terminally ill and made of glass.. the other not. One is a perianal Pro Bowler .. the other is not, one is a multiple  criminal offender the other is not.  I'm not against trading Jones to the right team for a meaningful pick..ie NOT in the high 20s or low 30's or more. Jones is part of  what the front office calls it's "Core"  I dont see him going anywhere and I'm not mad about it

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

comparing Clark and Jones is lunacy, one is terminally ill and made of glass.. the other not. One is a perianal Pro Bowler .. the other is not.  I'm not against trading Jones to the right team for a meaningful pick..ie NOT in the high 20s or low 30's or more. Jones is part of  what the front office calls it's "Core"  I dont see him going anywhere and I'm not mad about it

By your own words Frank Clark is a perennial Pro Bowler as well.

Orrrrrrrr   here me out on this one. WE GET HIM SOME FUCKING HELP!!!!!! Someone teams have to worry about. You put a lets see umm maybe someone in the the top 15 or so in the league in sacks and QB pressure and you will see this whole defense improve drastically. Everything with football starts up front on both sides of the ball period. 

Any regular player should be a trade candidate at 29 and any contract that'll be over at 30 should likely stay put but Jones is one of those players that elevate this defense. He'll definitely start regressing but I don't think it'll be an issue until he's 31 or 32 so a decent extension should make a lot of sense for both sides. 

A few thoughts. Jones is cheaper next year than this year. We can see how he plays next year and how successful we are at upgrading the D line. Then I can see considering moving on. I would not consider trading him this offseason unless its a first and nobody is going to give that.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

looks like Thornhill and Clark have taken the mantle away from Nieman, Sorenson and Mathieu

Clark was on the list the last couple years as well, just couldn’t afford to cut him. Thornhill on the other hand had hopes of finally recovering from his knee injury and balling out, but for whatever reason he is way worse this season 

51 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

How about we keep our best defender, one of the best in the league, who occupies 2 or 3 players every play and get someone who can exploit single coverage they get on every play?

Yep.  Anything other than paying CJ whatever he wants is just stupid.