Chiefs don't care if the fans are unhappy with OBJ and Wylie

After the Week 13 loss to the Cincinnati Bengals, the Kansas City Chiefs’ struggles at the offensive tackle position have come into focus.

Orlando Brown Jr’s 39 pressures allowed ranks first in the NFL through Week 13 according to Pro Football Focus. Brown Jr.’s bookend at tackle, Andrew Wylie, has allowed the second-most pressures in the league (37). Wylie also leads the Chiefs in penalties (8) and sacks allowed (7). The lackluster performance at tackle has saddled the offense at times, most notably in their recent loss to the Bengals.

Asked about Brown Jr. and Wylie’s performance and what he can do to better help them, Chiefs HC Andy Reid spoke about the competition they’ve faced each week.

“Well, they’ve gone against some good players,” Reid said. “We do try to help them with chips like with anybody that’s in there. These defensive ends that we’ve played are pretty good and the two that we’re playing this week are pretty good too. That’s part of it.”

It might sound like an excuse, but Chiefs OC Eric Bieniemy insists that it isn’t. It’s not just the level of competition they’re facing, but the mentality of those teams playing against Kansas City. They’re looking to see how they measure up against one of the winningest teams in the league.

“It’s not an excuse for those guys, but every week we’re going to get everybody’s best,” Bieniemy said. “Every week is championship football. Those guys know every week what they’re going to be faced (with). As a coaching staff, we could do a better job of helping them out as well, knowing some of the premier pass rushers that they’re going to play against.”

They’ll get more of those pass rushers in the upcoming game against the Denver Broncos, so the coaching staff will need to ensure that they have an airtight plan in place.

“(Baron) Browning No. 56, the kid was an inside (linebacker), now he’s outside wreaking havoc,” Bieniemy said. “No. 53 (Jonathon Cooper), I can’t think of his name, but these guys can play, they get after the quarterback. So, we’ve got to make sure that we’re staying in tune and giving them the necessary help. Those guys know that in certain situations, help won’t be provided. They also understand that they can be better in certain situations, but as a coaching staff we can be better as well.”

As for those fans who are hoping the Chiefs will make a change at the offensive tackle position, don’t expect that coming this week. While Lucas Niang is healthy and anxious to play, it sounds like he’s only being considered in case of an injury at this time.

“I think Lucas (Niang) is chomping at the bit,” Bieniemy said. “I think, obviously, like any professional player, they would all tell you, ‘Hey, I’m the man, I should be starting right now.’ But right now those guys do a pretty good job up front of taking care of business although it hasn’t been perfect all the time. He understands his role, he understands his place and he understands that the biggest thing right now is making sure that if something were to happen, that he’s mentally and physically ready to step in when that situation presents itself.”

The coaching staff appears committed to seeing things through and making sure that Brown Jr. and Wylie get the proper help they need to be successful moving forward.

4 hours ago, DieHard said:

I don’t know if we have better, but they ain’t good. They will be in there I assume. I would give Niang or Prince a game to see, but I don’t watch practice. They will play who they think is the best.

They thought Neimann was best 

they thought CEH was best. 

41 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Reid interviews have always been crap, he's too much of a players' coach to tell the truth but looks like EB is the same. I would at least expect to see some emphasis on competition for the roster spot.

There's no reason for a coach to start talking poorly about individual players in interviews.  It helps nothing.  Emphasize competition in practice, sure.  But not in interviews.  

24 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Who on the roster was better?

Gay was better but had yet to show it.  Niemann ran the defense until Bolton and this was the reason Niemann is gone. Better players with one calling the defense. CEH showed promise his first year.

They gave him all the chances to prove it and he will be done now for sure. I mean they have given and he has taken it, a 7th round rb the chance. Reid may be slow at times to give rookies a chance, but once they show it, he has no problem making a choice to go with it. This must be what is worrisome on a guy like Niang. Them again they know if he is fully healed, in playing shape etc. You can't just move thuney, who is nursing an injury, at game 12 to LT and expect him to be great at it.

Then move OBJ to RT or Niang and plug in a LG Them expect it all to work. To me, you ride it out with OBJ at LT and if anything make one move at RT when said player is ready. OBJ either moves to RT this next off season if he is to stay and we go grab our LT or see if Niang can do RT and let obj go for a comp pick. 

10 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Gay was better but had yet to show it.  Niemann ran the defense until Bolton and this was the reason Niemann is gone. Better players with one calling the defense. CEH showed promise his first year.

They gave him all the chances to prove it and he will be done now for sure. I mean they have given and he has taken it, a 7th round rb the chance. Reid may be slow at times to give rookies a chance, but once they show it, he has no problem making a choice to go with it. This must be what is worrisome on a guy like Niang. Them again they know if he is fully healed, in playing shape etc. You can't just move thuney, who is nursing an injury, at game 12 to LT and expect him to be great at it.

Then move OBJ to RT or Niang and plug in a LG Them expect it all to work. To me, you ride it out with OBJ at LT and if anything make one move at RT when said player is ready. OBJ either moves to RT this next off season if he is to stay and we go grab our LT or see if Niang can do RT and let obj go for a comp pick. 

His argument was that OBJ and Wiley are starting, but not the best at their position.  Just like Niemann and CEH. My point is that there was nobody on the bench better than Nieman on the weak side or CEH at the RB position. To pick someone from a different position who was starting starting is not someone on the bench that was better, but the coaches just liked CEH and Niemann better.

Nieman didn't start over Gay or Bolton. They were both starters at another position. Except for the first few games when Gay was hurt and Bolton was getting up to speed.

38 minutes ago, DieHard said:

His argument was that OBJ and Wiley are starting, but not the best at their position.  Just like Niemann and CEH. My point is that there was nobody on the bench better than Nieman on the weak side or CEH at the RB position. To pick someone from a different position who was starting starting is not someone on the bench that was better, but the coaches just liked CEH and Niemann better.

Nieman didn't start over Gay or Bolton. They were both starters at another position. Except for the first few games when Gay was hurt and Bolton was getting up to speed.

Pretty much my point.  Gay and Bolton were not better at first than Niemann. Bolton came on and they slowly phased out niemann and calls the defense now too.  They are LBs they use for 2 lb sets. Niemann was an ILB. but that is something Gay with his speed and cover skills was better at,  just took him a bit to get there after being drafted. Once they did niemann walked.

14 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Pretty much my point.  Gay and Bolton were not better at first than Niemann. Bolton came on and they slowly phased out niemann and calls the defense now too.  They are LBs they use for 2 lb sets. Niemann was an ILB. but that is something Gay with his speed and cover skills was better at,  just took him a bit to get there after being drafted. Once they did niemann walked.

Agreed. I am all for trying other OTs out, but I don’t think we have some dominant OT sitting on the bench.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Never said anything about OBJ. Right now he is the best LT. I did mention maybe Niang tried at LT as he was an elite pass protector. 
Wylie and CEH are shit. Wylie is still playing. Hell Christian has shown more than Wylie in their careers. CEH lost his time to injury or I bet we still see him splitting and taking carries 

yeah semantics, Neimann didn’t start over Bolton it Gay. But Gay playing time was way under Neimann who was getting more than he ever should. Sun package wise Gay should have been in over Neimann. Some package Neimann was in over Bolton and Gay. And even in the nickel they slid Sorensen down to LB  with Neimann. Having Gay and Bolton on the bench. 

57 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Gay and Bolton are always better than Neimann. 
why were both second round picks and not Neimann off he was better?